Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Maggers   01-28-2005, 02:51 PM
OK, I'll show my ignorance or innocence or naivete here. How come so many people are hesitant to go into a comic book store?

I've never been to one, wouldn't even know where to find one in NYC, though it probably wouldn't be hard.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Lokheed   01-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Comics have a connotation, particularly in the US, as being extremely juevenile. Men it tights running around beating each other up in colorful and tacky cityscapes and the like. That was only compounded in the 90's when the huge speculation bubble happened, and tons of crap was spewed out. There have always been exceptions, but generally speaking the comics industry is still reeling from what happened in the 90's. The bright side, though, is that a lot of the garbage has washed out and now there seems to be a renaissance happening.

If you want an excellent primer on what comics are and what they can be, I highly recommend Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. It is a fascinating read, even if you are not "into" comics, because it goes into the nature of how we as humans percieve ourselves and the world around us, and why the comic form of iconic expression has such a powerful hold on us (Mickey Mouse, etc.). As a matter of fact, there was one chapter in the book that indirectly helped me understand how my son thinks, specifically because the autistic brain differs in those areas.
Scott Miller   01-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Lokheed Wrote:If you want an excellent primer on what comics are and what they can be, I highly recommend Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. It is a fascinating read, even if you are not "into" comics, because it goes into the nature of how we as humans percieve ourselves and the world around us, and why the comic form of iconic expression has such a powerful hold on us (Mickey Mouse, etc.). As a matter of fact, there was one chapter in the book that indirectly helped me understand how my son thinks, specifically because the autistic brain differs in those areas.

I just read and loved Understanding Comics. I have placed a hold on McCloud's more recent Reinventing Comics. I am glad that you seem to be having so many breakthroughs with your son-it has got to be a tremondous thrill for you. I am especially intrigued that these breakthroughs seem to be occurring due to activities that fall outside the realm of traditional education. I substitute teach currently after having worked with kids since 1990 and most of my successes stem from incorporating play and entertainment into whatever I am attempting to teach. Activating interest is the key.
This post was last modified: 01-28-2005, 04:19 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Ken Valentine   01-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Lokheed Wrote:Comics have a connotation, particularly in the US, as being extremely juevenile.

As speculation, I think no small part of that comes from the very name -- Comic Books!

A new term has come into being, which I think more accurately describes this medium as it is today -- Graphic Novel.

While I'm at it, I might as well make mention of the just-released Graphic Novel of L. Neil Smith's classic Libertarian Sci-Fi novel, THE PROBABILITY BROACH.

You can preview the first 42 pages free at:

http://scottbieser.com/graphicnovels.html

In case some of you don't know it, El Neil was in the acknowledgements section of THE TOMB, and as "Neil the Anarchist" in the book itself. It was his flagpole . . .

Ken V.

Edited to add: Perhaps, this thread would be better named THE KEEP: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL
This post was last modified: 01-29-2005, 01:20 AM by Ken Valentine.
Maggers   01-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Well, Ken, I discovered that I'm not a graphic novel kinda girl. That's OK. I did like Superman comics when I was little. And the Sunday comics in the Daily News were fun, for a while. But something about the form doesn't grab me anymore.

Ahh well.... But I would love to see a graphic novel version of "The Keep," since it's a story I know and love.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   01-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Maggers Wrote:Well, Ken, I discovered that I'm not a graphic novel kinda girl. That's OK. I did like Superman comics when I was little. And the Sunday comics in the Daily News were fun, for a while. But something about the form doesn't grab me anymore.

Ahh well.... But I would love to see a graphic novel version of "The Keep," since it's a story I know and love.

In that regard, I think Graphic Novels are like any other novels. No novel will suit everyone's taste.

Ken V.
nonsun blob a   01-30-2005, 03:21 PM
this is incredible.

[Image: bloodmachine2cc.gif]
Jay #1   01-31-2005, 06:02 PM
I'll definitely be looking for it.

fpw Wrote:Well, the revised contract is on my agent's desk, so I guess it's safe to tell you that IDW will be publishing a five-issue series of The Keep, scripted by yours truly and illustrated by the Forum's own Matthew D. Smith.

The first script is due this March with an eye toward starting publication this summer. The five issues will then be combined into a graphic novel.

I'm reeeeally looking forward to this. At last we'll see what the movie coulda / shoulda been.
Jay #1   01-31-2005, 06:06 PM
*snort* I saw a 65 year old man buy one of the futuristic WitchBlade graphic novels. I don't think it's an issue of juvenile...

Lokheed Wrote:Comics have a connotation, particularly in the US, as being extremely juevenile.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-31-2005, 06:34 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:You should be able to find a local comics dealer in your yellow pages and if they don't carry it, they will undoubtedly be able to tell you how or where to do so. I don't know, FPW is notoriously stingy with his signature.

I'm so glad you brought that up, Scott. At the 12/03 event at my B&N store, I had a pile of books I hoped would be autographed. Paul signed them all, "Keep rocking--Pete Townshend"
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5