Kenji   12-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Someone told me about this novel, but I've never read the novel before. When I checked apple movie trailer, I found out movie's site. I wish I can read the book, but maybe before I read the book, I'll go to theater.

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/
Scott Hajek   12-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Kenji Wrote:Someone told me about this novel, but I've never read the novel before. When I checked apple movie trailer, I found out movie's site. I wish I can read the book, but maybe before I read the book, I'll go to theater.

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/

I truly hope you get to read the book before the movie. It is a classic and one of a few that I've read more than five times.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
jimbow8   12-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:I truly hope you get to read the book before the movie. It is a classic and one of a few that I've read more than five times.
I've read it (the trilogy) several times myself. It doesn't get any less funny the more you read it. It is very "funnily" written. (Big Shout Out to Queen Lisa!)

"The ship hung in the air in exactly the
same way that a brick doesn't."

- One of the funniest lines ever written!
R.I.P. Douglas Adams

Kenji, do yourself a favor and read these books as soon as you can. Hopefully the humor will transfer over into Japanese effectively.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
jimbow8   12-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Douglas Adams quotes

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Lisa   12-22-2004, 08:58 PM
I doubt the humor will translate. It's very language-pun-based. Dadgumit, Kenji, you'll just have to learn to read English! Big Grin

Thanks for the "funnily," Jim. Just so's you know, I keep track.

Lisa
Kenji   12-23-2004, 03:28 AM
Lisa Wrote:I doubt the humor will translate. It's very language-pun-based. Dadgumit, Kenji, you'll just have to learn to read English! Big Grin

Thanks for the "funnily," Jim. Just so's you know, I keep track.

Lisa

Lisa, you mentioned about this.........?

"The ship hung in the air in exactly the
same way that a brick doesn't."
- One of the funniest lines ever written!

Hmmm.........I can't translate funniest lines to Japanese! English language-pun and Japanese language-pun is completely different. For example, do you know this Japanese language-pun?

"Hey, my neighbour made a fence."

"Wow, that's groovy!"

Maybe(definitely) you won't feel funny about this joke. But this is typical Japanese language-pun. And, this is very old joke.Big Grin

BTW, what is "Dadgumit" ???
Dave   12-23-2004, 07:46 AM
Kenji Wrote:"Hey, my neighbour made a fence."

"Wow, that's groovy!"

Maybe(definitely) you won't feel funny about this joke. But this is typical Japanese language-pun. And, this is very old joke.Big Grin

That translates quite well, Kenji. Corny, but funny.

Assuming it isn't a panel fence, of course.

Dave
Kenji   12-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Dave Wrote:That translates quite well, Kenji. Corny, but funny.

Yep, this is very corny. :o

Quote:Assuming it isn't a panel fence, of course.

Dave

Fence and groovy, If those words translate to Japanese, it's "Kakoi".....(I know, it's corny. Sorry.... :o )