Pages (9):    1 5 6 7 8 9   
Ken Valentine   05-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Bastard Wrote:What's disturbing about it is that I have to work very hard to be proficient and when it comes to handguns--revolvers especially--he's got this savant thing going on. Actually it's not so disturbing, cause the combination of him and a six-gun is a beautiful thing. He was definately born in the wrong century. He seems to prefer double action, but he doesn't shoot competitively... yet.

You might want to point him in the direction of I.C.O.R.E.. The International Confederation Of Revolver Enthusiasts. These guys have some great matches!

Ken V.
Bastard   05-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:You might want to point him in the direction of I.C.O.R.E.. The International Confederation Of Revolver Enthusiasts. These guys have some great matches!

Ken V.

Thanx Ken, I'll pass it on to him this weekend.

--Jake

:eek: "Who are you mister?"
:mad: "Jacob McCandles."
:eek: "Jacob McCandles?! I thought you was dead."
:mad: "Not hardly! The next man to say that, I'm gonna shoot, so help me." -- from Big Jake
Biggles   05-31-2004, 02:32 PM
fpw Wrote:Sounds like a 9mm Kel-Tec P-11 is the way to go. The Eldorado Starfires sound like a good round.

Thanks, guys

Just last week, I acquired the ultimate backup. Small, light, and easily concealed, the "Pocket Protector" AKA "Puglet in a Pocket", fits easily into a pocket of your favorite cargo shorts, and is legal in all 50 states and the District of Columbia (licenses may be required in some areas). What's more, the "Pocket Protector" is approved for airline travel, and DOES NOT set off metal detectors! Following are two photos showing the "Pocket Protector" holstered and ready for action. In the second photo, you see it as it's ready to be drawn from its holster and deployed.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Ken Valentine   06-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Biggles Wrote:Just last week, I acquired the ultimate backup. Small, light, and easily concealed, the "Pocket Protector" AKA "Puglet in a Pocket", fits easily into a pocket of your favorite cargo shorts, and is legal in all 50 states and the District of Columbia (licenses may be required in some areas). What's more, the "Pocket Protector" is approved for airline travel, and DOES NOT set off metal detectors! Following are two photos showing the "Pocket Protector" holstered and ready for action. In the second photo, you see it as it's ready to be drawn from its holster and deployed.

They'll impound it for six months if you ever try to take it to Hawaii.

I'll bet however, that it can lick anybody who gets close enough.

Ken V.
Biggles   06-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:They'll impound it for six months if you ever try to take it to Hawaii.

I'll bet however, that it can lick anybody who gets close enough.

Ken V.

That Beagle Brigade we saw in Honolulu and Maui when my bride and I were on our honeymoon was adorable. For those who haven't gone to the islands, these are specially trained beagles who walk the airport terminals sniffing for flora (and fauna?) that should not be transported between the islands and the mainland.

BTW, my Charlie licks so fast that I'm concerned she might be full auto vs. semi-auto. She might violate NPA (National Pug Act) 1934 and PCA (Pug Control Act) 1968, for all I know.

jimbow8   07-05-2004, 12:21 AM
I didn't know where to put this, so I thought the "gunnie" thread would be appropriate:

http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.php..._8142.html

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Biggles   07-05-2004, 12:54 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I didn't know where to put this, so I thought the "gunnie" thread would be appropriate:

http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.php..._8142.html

I'm sure glad I can carry concealed in bars here in Indiana!

SDSwami   07-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Minnesota now has a law stating that a public building must have a sign posting that it is illegal to carry a firearm on that premise. Everywhere you go, there's a sign on the door saying it's illegal to carry a gun inside.
Biggles   07-05-2004, 10:27 AM
SDSwami Wrote:Minnesota now has a law stating that a public building must have a sign posting that it is illegal to carry a firearm on that premise. Everywhere you go, there's a sign on the door saying it's illegal to carry a gun inside.

That's the way anti-gun public officials get around state laws. I have no problem with private individuals and businesses deciding not to permit firearms inside (based upon property rights), but all public places and places of public resort (like malls, etc.) should be permissible places to be armed, unless there are specific security concerns. Courtrooms are probably not good places to be armed, for example. I've seen passions flaming too often in court.

[Dean Koontz spoiler]: There's a scene in Odd Thomas that would never have happened if citizens could carry in malls in that jurisdiction. And the restaurant murders in Kileen, TX were unnecessary. I recall that one of the patrons left her pistol in her car because she couldn't carry inside. Here in Indiana, you don't need permits for longarms, nor to possess handguns in your homes or fixed places of business; and carry permits are issued on a "shall issue" basis (you get the permit unless your are disqualified under state law).

Nietzsche Pops   07-06-2004, 04:09 AM
What is this?!!! No one recommended a Makarov?!

C'mon.

One of the most reliable handguns in the world. Owners routinely report 0 failures to both fire and eject after 1000's of rounds have been fired through the weapon.

A Soviet designed firearm. (Russians make GOOD GUNS...poor democracies, but good guns). Produced by the Chinese, Soviets, Bulgarians, and the East Germans. Used in every other Steel Shade country from the 1950's to present day.

Solid steel construction (except for the grips, which are plastic with rubber aftermarkets available).

In either .380 or 9x18mm ammo. The 9x18 is a Russian designed caliber. Hovering somewhere in power between a .380 and a 9x19 "regular" 9mm. The surplus ammunition for this gun often incorporates a bi-metal steel jacket around a lead core. (Didn't steel/iron weaken rakoshi?) Arguably improving penetration. Not quite as powerful as the regular 9mm but acceptable when weighed against all the other features of the Makarov.

With a fixed pin barrel design similar to some Walther designs, the Makarov is QUITE capable of taking 100 yard shots and putting them in an area the size of your hand. Making shot placement at closer ranges a snap. (Putting a "hole within a hole" is entirely possible at 10 yards with a Makarov.)

The safety system uses a decocker and is one of the most reliable safety systems in a handgun. Allowing a person to safely carry the gun with a bullet in the barrel, and requiring only one-hand to flick off the safety catch.

The magazine is 8 +1 rounds. Not overly impressive in modern times, but the Makarov is a SURE 9 rounds given it's no jam design. Also, it's magazine is held in place by a European style mag release...which sits at the bottom of the grip. Americans typically don't prefer this type, believing it to be too slow for a rapid mag change. HOWEVER...it does eliminate one very bad problem that I've noticed with other concealed carry firearms. This problem being the accidental release of your magazine when you jostle the American style push buttom mag release while sitting down. It is always embarrassing to step out of your car and hear a mag clatter on the ground as it falls from your now unloaded weapon.

Inexpensive. Makarovs are inexpensive guns. Note I said "inexpensive". Not cheap. Their quality is superb, but their origins and caliber have made them a much overlooked gem. Prices range from $130 to $350 for some models.

Concealable. Not tiny, but concealable. Fits comfortably in the hand of anyone who isn't taller than 6'3"ish.

And finally, threaded barrel replacement allows the possibilty of a silencer attachement.
Pages (9):    1 5 6 7 8 9