Pages (9):    1 4 5 6 7 8 9   
Ken Valentine   05-19-2004, 04:23 AM
Biggles Wrote:I'm pretty sure that the P11 and P40 both have locked breeches. Go to their web site to see a schematic.

They have what they CALL a locked breech, but a locked breech it ain't. Quasi-locked breech is the best I will give it, and only because it's the same as semi-blow-back -- two ways of saying the same thing.

To be absolutely precise, a true locked breech pistol is one where the action remains in position (locked) throughout the entire firing process, like a single-shot, or break action pistol. The Thompson Center Contender is a good example of this. In rifles, lever action, bolt action, falling block, and rolling block, are examples of manually operated locked breech actions, as are side-by-side, over/under, and pump action shotguns. The M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14, M-16/AR-15, and such, are examples of gas operated locked breech actions. The Desert Eagle is a good example of gas operated locked breech action in a pistol. Revolvers are also examples of locked-breech action.

The Kel-Tec is an example of a quasi-locked breech, as the slide and barrel start moving back in a unit the instant the cartridge is fired, and start to seperate after the slide has moved back an eighth of an inch or so, whereupon the barrel drops, stops its rearward motion, and the slide continues the extraction/ejection process. It is not a true locked breech design because the barrel/slide combination are in motion while the bullet is still in the barrel.

Kel-Tec calls it a locked breech for purposes of ... I can't find the word ... I'm looking for the word ... I've found the word ... MARKETING!

Hope this helps.

Ken V.
Biggles   05-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:They have what they CALL a locked breech, but a locked breech it ain't. Quasi-locked breech is the best I will give it, and only because it's the same as semi-blow-back -- two ways of saying the same thing.

To be absolutely precise, a true locked breech pistol is one where the action remains in position (locked) throughout the entire firing process, like a single-shot, or break action pistol. The Thompson Center Contender is a good example of this. In rifles, lever action, bolt action, falling block, and rolling block, are examples of manually operated locked breech actions, as are side-by-side, over/under, and pump action shotguns. The M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, M-14, M-16/AR-15, and such, are examples of gas operated locked breech actions. The Desert Eagle is a good example of gas operated locked breech action in a pistol. Revolvers are also examples of locked-breech action.

The Kel-Tec is an example of a quasi-locked breech, as the slide and barrel start moving back in a unit the instant the cartridge is fired, and start to seperate after the slide has moved back an eighth of an inch or so, whereupon the barrel drops, stops its rearward motion, and the slide continues the extraction/ejection process. It is not a true locked breech design because the barrel/slide combination are in motion while the bullet is still in the barrel.

Kel-Tec calls it a locked breech for purposes of ... I can't find the word ... I'm looking for the word ... I've found the word ... MARKETING!

Hope this helps.

Ken V.

Thanks for defining your terms. By that definition, my only "locked breach" pistols are my .44 Contender and my .44 Desert Eagle. In common usage, I've usually heard pistols described as either blowback or locked breach, but there's no question that a bolt-action or break-open pistol is truly locked-breach.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Ken Valentine   05-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Biggles Wrote:Thanks for defining your terms. By that definition, my only "locked breach" pistols are my .44 Contender and my .44 Desert Eagle. In common usage, I've usually heard pistols described as either blowback or locked breach, but there's no question that a bolt-action or break-open pistol is truly locked-breach.

What!?! No revolvers?

Ken V.
Bastard   05-19-2004, 07:32 PM
I prefer (and this is more personal taste than anything else) the Bersa Bobbcat. It's a simple .380 semi-auto based on the design of the Walther PPK. I carry one with two pre-ban 9 shot magazines and one in the chamber. The beauty of this baby is that it is inexpensive, simple enough for any handgun user to operate and can be (fairly easily) acquired, sans waiting period, from a shady pawnbroker--in case Jack runs into a scenario which prevents him from contacting Abe. And for those of you thinking "Hmmm, I wonder how that little bugger got his..." I bought mine, LEGALLY, from a reputable gunsmith (Chase Outfitters) in the Orlando area.

Jake

:eek: "Who are you mister?"
:mad: "Jacob McCandles."
:eek: "Jacob McCandles?! I thought you was dead."
:mad: "Not hardly! The next man to say that, I'm gonna shoot, so help me." -- from Big Jake
Biggles   05-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Bastard Wrote:And for those of you thinking "Hmmm, I wonder how that little bugger got his..." I bought mine, LEGALLY, from a reputable gunsmith (Chase Outfitters) in the Orlando area.

Jake

Sure! Wink But seriously, most of us gunnies couldn't care less whether you are legal or not. We are the wolves, not the sheep.

Biggles   05-19-2004, 08:39 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:What!?! No revolvers?

Ken V.

I own only three revolvers: an old Mdl 36, a Super Blackhawk, and a limited edition Blackhawk in 10mm / .38/40 WCF.

Ken Valentine   05-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Biggles Wrote:I own only three revolvers: an old Mdl 36, a Super Blackhawk, and a limited edition Blackhawk in 10mm / .38/40 WCF.

Including cap-and-ball, I've ended up with 14 single action, and 4 double action revolvers, including one I got from a guy who tried to rob me with it. So half my handguns are wheelie guns.

FUN!

Ken V.
Bastard   05-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Biggles Wrote:I own only three revolvers: an old Mdl 36, a Super Blackhawk, and a limited edition Blackhawk in 10mm / .38/40 WCF.

I don't own any revolvers as of yet, but my younger brother, Sam, (the med student, for those of you who remember my pre-Marine Corps posts) has a disturbing penchant for revolvers. He doesn't know beans about them, but he's a bloody natural when it comes to firing the buggers...

--Jake

:mad: "Not hardly! The next man to say that, I'm gonna shoot, so help me." -- from Big Jake
Ken Valentine   05-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Bastard Wrote:I don't own any revolvers as of yet, but my younger brother, Sam, (the med student, for those of you who remember my pre-Marine Corps posts) has a disturbing penchant for revolvers. He doesn't know beans about them, but he's a bloody natural when it comes to firing the buggers...

--Jake

What's disturbing about it? Big Grin Wheelie guns are FUN! Actually, they're ALL fun . . . .

Does he shoot in competition? And what does he prefer? Single action? Double action?

Ken V.
Bastard   05-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:What's disturbing about it? Big Grin Wheelie guns are FUN! Actually, they're ALL fun . . . .

Does he shoot in competition? And what does he prefer? Single action? Double action?

Ken V.

What's disturbing about it is that I have to work very hard to be proficient and when it comes to handguns--revolvers especially--he's got this savant thing going on. Actually it's not so disturbing, cause the combination of him and a six-gun is a beautiful thing. He was definitely born in the wrong century. He seems to prefer double action, but he doesn't shoot competitively... yet.
This post was last modified: 05-28-2004, 11:31 PM by Bastard.

Pages (9):    1 4 5 6 7 8 9