Pages (3): 1 2 3   
horsecow   12-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Finished the first on saturday, already halfway through the second. Wow. you can tell how good a writer is by his short stories; some of King's best work were his shorts, and FPW is right up there with him...the story "buckets" is one of the most frightening and nauseating stories i have ever read. admittedly, i didn't get to the last story in "soft" (apparently my dog was displeased with my choice of reading material and let his opinion known by eating said book), but the rest were all top notch. i especially liked "menage a trois", as "sibs" was the last FPW book i read prior to this.

freak show i think is fantastic...each author has a different way of telling a story, but they all run together and work really well together. i wanted to finish it last night but my eyes wouldn't agree with me...hopefully tonight.

FPW, any chance you'd combine "barrens" and "soft" into one big short story book? just a thought....
fpw   12-21-2004, 11:23 PM
horsecow Wrote:FPW, any chance you'd combine "barrens" and "soft" into one big short story book? just a thought....

I'll be working on putting together a 3rd collection soon: Aftershock & Others.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
stacyzinda123   12-22-2004, 11:59 AM
fpw Wrote:I'll be working on putting together a 3rd collection soon: Aftershock & Others.
That would be awesome. I love your short stories. They're perfect for when time is short and I don't want to start a novel!
Maggers   07-13-2005, 10:32 PM
stacyzinda123 Wrote:That would be awesome. I love your short stories. They're perfect for when time is short and I don't want to start a novel!

Stacy, have you read "Freak Show?" I'm about 2/3 of the way through and it's quite amazing. All those different authors and the tenor of the book is even and consistent and yet, each voice is unique with quite a tale to tell. Wonderful, and I haven't even finished it yet.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

KRW   07-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Maggers Wrote:Stacy, have you read "Freak Show?" I'm about 2/3 of the way through and it's quite amazing. All those different authors and the tenor of the book is even and consistent and yet, each voice is unique with quite a tale to tell. Wonderful, and I haven't even finished it yet.

Finished "Freak Show" on vacation! Awsome! But, this book needs to be kept very vague. You know, talk about all the OTHER(ness) books and only hint at this one! It needs to be a secret. My opinion, but it... it... it just defies descripsion. It needs to be that, oh what would you call it, that forgivable sin! Like eating ice cream when you break-up, or speeding down a curvy road! It gave me the feeling that I was learning to much, and that is like eating too much chocalate when nobody sees you! This should be the book we hint at, but never discuss! IMO!

KRW
Medusa   07-14-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm watching a signed 1st edition on Ebay of Soft and Others. Tomorrow I hope to bid on it!
Anders Monsen   07-14-2005, 01:28 AM
fpw Wrote:I'll be working on putting together a 3rd collection soon: Aftershock & Others.

That's excellent news! Seven years between Soft and Others and The Barrens & Others. Now seven years since The Barrens & Others. I would wonder about a pattern, but the new collection probably is due in 2006, shattering that thought.
Maggers   07-16-2005, 03:04 PM
KRW Wrote:Finished "Freak Show" on vacation! Awsome! But, this book needs to be kept very vague. You know, talk about all the OTHER(ness) books and only hint at this one! It needs to be a secret. My opinion, but it... it... it just defies descripsion. It needs to be that, oh what would you call it, that forgivable sin! Like eating ice cream when you break-up, or speeding down a curvy road! It gave me the feeling that I was learning to much, and that is like eating too much chocalate when nobody sees you! This should be the book we hint at, but never discuss! IMO!
KRW

I, too, just finished "Freak Show" and want to talk all about it. I'm not quite sure why you feel the need for secrecy on this, Ken. I don't think there's anything in the book that hasn't been addressed or touched upon in one story or another, especially any of FPW's short stories that have to do with the Pine Barrens.

Which is not to say that "Freak Show" isn't unique and terrific. The choir of voices that come together to create such a cohesive story is quite amazing. I particularly liked reading about the authors at the end of the book, where FPW states about himself: " 'Freak Show' is the first anthology he has edited. It is also the last." Big Grin

FS takes the Otherness to lengths we haven't seen outside of "Nightworld," and I found that almost unbearably creepy. But then, that's the essence of the Otherness, isn't it. Those of us not touched by the Otherness find that being near it makes our skin crawl and starts things squirming in our guts. It's an instinctive reaction.

I will honor your request not to go into detail, Ken, but I am dying to talk about the last sentence.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Biggles   07-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Maggers Wrote:Those of us not touched by the Otherness find that being near it makes our skin crawl and starts things squirming in our guts. It's an instinctive reaction.

Hmmm. You mentioned "being near it". Are you suggesting that your proximity to The Barrens, Monroe, etc. [the Otherness] has affected you? And here I was about to suggest that GU-"X" be held in The Barrens!

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Maggers   07-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Biggles Wrote:Hmmm. You mentioned "being near it". Are you suggesting that your proximity to The Barrens, Monroe, etc. [the Otherness] has affected you?

Ahhh...ummm.....*gulp*....You know, maybe that's so. :eek:

Of course, that would mean all of NYC has been affected by the Otherness, and wouldn't that just make sense. Big Grin

Quote:And here I was about to suggest that GU-"X" be held in The Barrens!

I think that would be a kick ass GU .... on so many levels! Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Pages (3): 1 2 3