Pages (2):    1 2
fpw   12-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Maggers Wrote:Xelton? Like "Zelton?" I hope.

Of course.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Biggles   12-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Maggers Wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought until I read the full question.

Now I have a question about pronunciation.

Xelton? Like "Zelton?" I hope.

X= Z in pronunciation, except in Spanish.

Please don't tell me it's pronounced the way so many New Yorkers pronounce "Xavier." And I don't mean the Spanish version. NY'ers pronounce "Xavier" "eX-avier" like "x-ray." Hate that.

Xavier was my dad's middle name, and he always prounounced it as "Zavier," like "xylophone" is "zylophone."

Aside: Xylophone reminds me of the time, long ago, when my mother sent my father to go Christmas shopping - for the first and last time. She told him to buy a xylophone, and he came home with a glockenspeil. We liked it anyway. Big Grin

Maggers,

Paul went to Xavier undergrad, so of course he pronounces it correctly!

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Maggers   12-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Biggles Wrote:Maggers,

I know! I just found out! I just read the introduction to "Be Fruitful and Multiply" in SOFT AND OTHERS where FPW states that.

My dad went to Xavier, too! It is a small world. I've got a sweet story about the choirmaster at Xavier and my parents' wedding day that I may tell at the GU.

My dad was born in 1910, so he attended Xavier long before FPW. At the time he attended Xavier, he lived in the neighborhood, too.

Small world!

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Maggers Wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought until I read the full question.

Now I have a question about pronunciation.

Xelton? Like "Zelton?" I hope.

X= Z in pronunciation, except in Spanish.

Please don't tell me it's pronounced the way so many New Yorkers pronounce "Xavier." And I don't mean the Spanish version. NY'ers pronounce "Xavier" "eX-avier" like "x-ray." Hate that.

Xavier was my dad's middle name, and he always prounounced it as "Zavier," like "xylophone" is "zylophone."

Aside: Xylophone reminds me of the time, long ago, when my mother sent my father to go Christmas shopping - for the first and last time. She told him to buy a xylophone, and he came home with a glockenspeil. We liked it anyway. Big Grin

So yez doan like da way weeze pronounces, eh, Maggers? Ain't nothin' woise den a self-hatin' Noo Yawker. Big Grin
Maggers   12-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:So yez doan like da way weeze pronounces, eh, Maggers? Ain't nothin' woise den a self-hatin' Noo Yawker. Big Grin

Nah, I ain't no self hatin' Noo Yawka. I kin tolerate yoos and dem's and doz as much as da next guy.

It's jus' dat "eX-avier" gets unda my skin like nuttin' else. Dat's all.

Dat's all. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Susan   12-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Biggles Wrote:Maggers,

None of you gringos knows how to properly pronounce Xavier. It should be "ha-ve-ehr" not "ex-zavier".

And don't get me started on "no problemo"!

You poor white people!

Susanita

FPW Stores:
A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. ~ Oscar Wilde

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.~Nietzche
Pages (2):    1 2