jimbow8   12-09-2004, 11:24 PM
I just watched the movie Dagon based on HP Lovecraft' Dagon and Shadow Over Innsmouth (I just read Dagon and have not read Shadow nor any other HPL...YET). What a ride this movie is!! It starts out by fooling you into thinking it will be just another schlock 'B' horror movie, but it soon changes into something really original. I would really love to hear someone else's opinion of this movie.

Contains some gore, nudity and VERY disturbing images.

****Beware of Spoilers in this Thread****

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Scott Miller   12-10-2004, 04:57 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:I just watched the movie Dagon based on HP Lovecraft' Dagon and Shadow Over Innsmouth (I just read Dagon and have not read Shadow nor any other HPL...YET). What a ride this movie is!! It starts out by fooling you into thinking it will be just another schlock 'B' horror movie, but it soon changes into something really original. I would really love to hear someone else's opinion of this movie.

Actually, I thought it was just another schlock 'B' horror movie, but I liked it.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
fpw   12-10-2004, 09:18 AM
I thought it was true to the spirit of HPL's Innsmouth stories, and that'll always score points with me. Some of the scenes were over the top -- but good over the top. This is a riveting B-movie.

Side note: The same gang is filming Matt Costello's Beneath Still Waters in Spain as we speak...or write

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   12-10-2004, 10:28 AM
fpw Wrote:I thought it was true to the spirit of HPL's Innsmouth stories, and that'll always score points with me. Some of the scenes were over the top -- but good over the top. This is a riveting B-movie.

Side note: The same gang is filming Matt Costello's Beneath Still Waters in Spain as we speak...or write
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for that one. Any idea when it's scheduled for release?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
jamedog   12-10-2004, 12:06 PM
I was surprised because it did do the book justice but I don't think any HPL movie has done his stories justice, even "the Necronomicon" which I enjoyed, could have been better.
DaveStrorm   12-10-2004, 12:34 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I just watched the movie Dagon based on HP Lovecraft' Dagon and Shadow Over Innsmouth (I just read Dagon and have not read Shadow nor any other HPL...YET). What a ride this movie is!! It starts out by fooling you into thinking it will be just another schlock 'B' horror movie, but it soon changes into something really original. I would really love to hear someone else's opinion of this movie.

I taped this off cable about 6 - 8 months ago but haven't watched it yet. :eek:

I'm interested in any HPL based material but I've put off watching it thinking it wouldn't be very good. Guess I'll have to give it a go now.
jimbow8   12-10-2004, 12:59 PM
The main character transforms (literally, figuratively???) throughout the course of the movie. I can only compare it to the transformation Ash underwent.

Scott Miller   12-10-2004, 01:34 PM
fpw Wrote:Side note: The same gang is filming Matt Costello's Beneath Still Waters in Spain as we speak...or write

Which is a very good book.

Scott

Scott Miller   12-10-2004, 02:08 PM
jamedog Wrote:I was surprised because it did do the book justice but I don't think any HPL movie has done his stories justice, even "the Necronomicon" which I enjoyed, could have been better.

I thought The Dunwich Horror with Dean Stockwell and Dee Wallace was decent.

I did a little searching on Stuart Gordon and discovered a book, That Darn Squid God by Nick Pollotta and James Clay that sounds like more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/features/review38.htm

Scott

APhew   12-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Which is a very good book.

I agree, I read it a few months ago. You have to go hunting used book stores, but it's well worth reading.