Pages (2): 1 2   
jordanswiderski   06-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Did all the repairman jack books get revised? What about The Touch and the other Adversary books?
revrasputin   06-04-2013, 12:10 AM
I just finished reading the series and from what I noticed comparing the Adversary cycle to the first time I read them is that, yes, the rest of the Adversary cycle did get some revisions, with the exception of The Keep. The only Repairman Jack novel that got a revision is The Tomb which changes some of the original references to make them more modern. For example, in the early version, there is mention of walkmans, vcr tapes, and Johnny Carson, and in the new one, those references have been changed to DVDs and IPods, I think the Johnny Carson reference has no correlation. Reborn adds a paragraph in the end about the Dat-tay-vao coming to America, which I don't remember being in the first one. Reprisal makes mention of Menelaus Manor found in The Haunted Air, and I think that's it for revisions. The Touch adds the short story "Dat-Tay-Vao" and various references to concurrent happenings in the Repairman Jack books and I think there might be a reference to the "disappearing house" from Conspiracies. I believe there is also a reference here and there to info from the young adult Jack books, but I could be mistaken. Nightworld has been heavily revised and there are too many to name, but my last response in the Just Finished post makes mention of a few of them. I don't think there are any other changes to the Repairman Jack books but you may want to check out a few of the short stories which were changed to be incorporated into the novel series. One of my favorites is "The Last Rakosh" which was changed to be inserted into All the Rage, the original short story had Vicky seeing the Rakosh at the freak show. If you haven't read "Peabody-Ozymandius Traveling Circus and Oddity Emporium" I recommend at least downloading it which describes the fate of the troupe and gives insight into another Infernal device which in a round about way was mentioned in the Young Jack series. I hope this helps, and I may be wrong about a few things as it's been years since I read the unrevised Adversary Cycle.
Damin J. Toell   06-04-2013, 12:11 AM
All 6 books of the Adversary Cycle (THE KEEP, THE TOMB, THE TOUCH, REBORN, REPRISAL, NIGHTWORLD) have had revisions. THE KEEP has probably had the fewest number of significant revisions, although I think Paul keeps finding new things to tweak every time it gets prepared for a new edition. None of the other Jack books have been revised, other than some corrections that have been made between the hardcover and paperback editions.
jordanswiderski   06-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Thank you both for the help. I need to track down the short stories. Which are the most essential to the series?
fpw   06-05-2013, 09:12 AM
jordanswiderski Wrote:Thank you both for the help. I need to track down the short stories. Which are the most essential to the series?
They're listed in the Secret History

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Damin J. Toell   06-05-2013, 08:24 PM
fpw Wrote:They're listed in the Secret History

Some are, but there are definitely more that are tied in. "The Cleaning Machine" comes to mind. Maybe someday we can put together a bigger list that includes all of the minor short stories? Chronology would be difficult, though.
fpw   06-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Right. "The Cleaning Machine" and "Doc Johnson" should be in there. And "Menage a Trois" too. (Didn't I start a thread about this?)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
RichE   08-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Are there any plans for reissuing "THE TOMB" in its original edition, before the revision?? I think many of us would like to get and compare it with with the new edit!!!!!
Damin J. Toell   08-25-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm inclined to think that there would be a very small market for such a release. You can pick up an old paperback for cheap on eBay, if you're curious. Get the 1998 paperback for a different version, too, while you're at it.
RichE   08-27-2013, 01:52 PM
I have the First HC edition and the paperback!
Pages (2): 1 2