fpw   04-21-2012, 11:51 AM
[h=6]I just finished Patrick Lee's THE BREACH. I can sum it up best as "Wow." The novel reads like a bullet and kept me off balance the whole way. Not many novels do that nowadays. It's so damn original it makes me jealous. He's got an audacious imagination and a transparent style that does not get in the way of the story. Is it perfect? No. But it kept me so hungry to know what was going to happen next that I flashed right past any potential glitches. This guy can write. I'd never heard of him before. Met him last Saturday at C2E2 and he gave me a copy. I dipped into it on the plane home and couldn't get out. I've just ordered the next two books in the trilogy. Really, if you like thrillers, there IS something new under the sun -- it's THE BREACH.[/h]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Medusa   04-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the recommend. I've put the series in my Wish List.

Veronica
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x41/Medusa-Warthog/
The Snake Lady from Texas!
Scott Miller   04-23-2012, 12:18 PM
fpw Wrote:I just finished Patrick Lee's THE BREACH. I can sum it up best as "Wow." The novel reads like a bullet and kept me off balance the whole way. Not many novels do that nowadays. It's so damn original it makes me jealous. He's got an audacious imagination and a transparent style that does not get in the way of the story. Is it perfect? No. But it kept me so hungry to know what was going to happen next that I flashed right past any potential glitches. This guy can write. I'd never heard of him before. Met him last Saturday at C2E2 and he gave me a copy. I dipped into it on the plane home and couldn't get out. I've just ordered the next two books in the trilogy. Really, if you like thrillers, there IS something new under the sun -- it's THE BREACH.

I dug both it and the second book, Ghost Country, a lot. I must admit there were parts that went over my head, that device in The Breach(I got the big picture but not the details)for one, but the breakneck pace of the book made it so that it didn't really matter much to me. They are the literary equivalent of a popcorn movie.

If you liked it, then you might also enjoy Christopher Farnsworth's series about Nathaniel Cade, a vampire who is employed as our government's deadliest weapon; incredible action in all of them and you'll be glad Cade is on our side. There are three book published at this time: Blood Oath, The President's Vampire and Red, White and Blood.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Brian   04-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Good deal, another trilogy to add to my list.

There is no wise man without fault
biggw72   04-25-2012, 07:17 AM
fpw Wrote:I just finished Patrick Lee's THE BREACH. I can sum it up best as "Wow." The novel reads like a bullet and kept me off balance the whole way. Not many novels do that nowadays. It's so damn original it makes me jealous. He's got an audacious imagination and a transparent style that does not get in the way of the story. Is it perfect? No. But it kept me so hungry to know what was going to happen next that I flashed right past any potential glitches. This guy can write. I'd never heard of him before. Met him last Saturday at C2E2 and he gave me a copy. I dipped into it on the plane home and couldn't get out. I've just ordered the next two books in the trilogy. Really, if you like thrillers, there IS something new under the sun -- it's THE BREACH.
I've read all three books in this trilogy, The Breach, Ghost Country and Deep Sky. A fantastic read, great story. For something similar, check out the Greig Beck books, (need to be read in sequence) for more good reads.
ATB
Graham
Scott Miller   05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
biggw72 Wrote:I've read all three books in this trilogy, The Breach, Ghost Country and Deep Sky. A fantastic read, great story. For something similar, check out the Greig Beck books, (need to be read in sequence) for more good reads.
ATB
Graham

I am seeking Deep Sky at the moment, I didn't realize it had been published. I thoroughly enjoyed Beneath The Dark Ice by Beck but something happened and I have yet to receive my copy of Dark Rising(hint, hint-not you biggw, but someone else).

Sounds like you'd dig the Farnsworth books I mentioned earlier and see if you can track down a copy of Sleeper by Steve Harriman.

Another one worth a read is The Ocean Dark by Jack Rogan.

And finally I have to recommend highly The Games by Ted Kosmatka, I just finished it in two gulps and while it isn't quite the same kind of thriller/horror hybrid of these others, it shares some common ground for sure. The premise is that in the near future a new event has been created for the Olympics that features genetically engineered gladiators that fight to the death; the only catch is that they may not contain any human DNA and there is something terribly wrong with the USA's entry.

Man I love monsters.
This post was last modified: 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Alaric88   05-03-2012, 11:58 PM
My friend just finished, said it was a page turner. plan on borrowing it soon

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQltDXcqCC7fLZ2MUtvyJp...d2d6EFKIjG][Image: rWZjS.gif]
Scott Miller   05-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:I am seeking Deep Sky at the moment, I didn't realize it had been published.

Using all the tricks of tracking I've accumulated over the years I was able to corner me a copy at the supermarket yesterday. Looks like I'll be reading this summer afterall.

Scott

fpw   05-15-2012, 09:58 AM
I finished the trilogy. Patrick Lee has a fearless, mind-boggling imagination.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
RootsReggae   06-19-2012, 03:20 PM
I read this trilogy based on your recommendation and i really liked it. fast paced, quick read.

Thanks