Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5
flyboy707   09-23-2010, 11:10 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into purchasing ebooks, aren't I?

Ten, twelve years ago, I would have emphatically answered "NO!". At that time, .pdf and other eBook and document formats were heralded as the "death" of the paper book. Technology of the time just wasn't there. Digital books were either read on your laptop (aka "portable") or your desktop.

Now with Kindle, Nook, iBooks (via iPhone or iPad); the portable, take hundreds of books with you and read them anytime/anywhere on screens as good as a printed page; there is a real threat to the printed format.

Will the printed book completely go away, probably not anytime soon. However, walk into any of the major booksellers (B&N, Borders) and you will see an incredible shrinkage of stock in their stores.

My late wife's sister is a VP in the B&N company and I have this very conversation with her all the time. According to her, eBook sales via their Nook is rapidly approaching (and on many days) exceeds sales in thier stores. The biggest total sales of printed books at B&N is children's books. There is a reason B&N now sells toys, puzzles and is beginning to increase thier music and movie sections. On a side note, they are already testing a version of the Nook that can download music and movies too (probably in response to the iPad).

I have a Nook and a Kindle (recv'd them as gifts) and I still mostly read printed books; but have read a few of digital books via those devices ....

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
Dave F   09-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Joe Konrath Wrote:Those are my 1 star ratings. I did it to stop people from buying the free sample, because Amazon UK messed up the download. I don't want folks spending three pounds on something that is supposed to be free.

But it will be up soon.

Just watch the URLS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRACULAS-Teaser-...0042ANZBU/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRACULAS-A-Novel...B0042AMD2M

Shouldn't be longer than a few days.

Ok I got the freebie, but still can't see a pre order option on .com or .co.uk
:mad2:

Will keep trying

The artist formally known as Britfan
valadarrel   09-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Best PDF to ePub Converter for you to convert PDF to ePub with high quality
A PDF to ePub Converter can help you to convert PDF to ePub for you to read e-books on your iPad. You also can call it as PDF to ePub Maker; it can help you to make your new ePub files with preserving the original text, layout, tables, and images. You also can convert nay popular txt format and images to ePub files easily and fast. With this indispensable helper, convert PDF to ePub , what you should do is just click several buttons, now you can free download this product and have a try.
Next, I will tell you how to convert PDF to ePub with the guide; several steps can help you to complete all the process. You will get the perfect ePub files.
How to convert PDF files to ePub with high quality?
Make preparation : Free download this PDF to ePub Converter , install and them launch it.
Step 1 : Add files.
You can add your PDF files by click the “File” column or click “Add File” button. You see the imported PDF files in the centre.

[Image: add-file.jpg]

Step 2 : Edit your PDF files.
Select the file or files you want to convert. You can preview the PDF file, also you can use "Page Range" column, and you can choose "All Page" and "Current Page". Even more, you can enter a number of pages you want to convert in the "Pages".
Step 3 : Convert files Click "Convert" button to start converting the files checked in the file list.
The entire conversion process takes only several clicks you can quickly get the desired effect. It is very simple.
After your conversion, you can enjoy your ePub e-books with ease. And if you want to transfer ePub to your Mac, I will recommend you with a professional Mac iPad Manager for ePub .
flyboy707   09-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Looks like a great converter! I'm going to check it out.

However, I still think Calibre is the way to go if you want to convert among tens of different formats and import/export among every portable device out there.

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other that you can boast about it."
The Mad American   09-27-2010, 02:28 PM
My Kindle finally arrived. Got to say, I am really liking it. More than I would have admitted.

Thanks for all the posts on the conversion programs, I am sure I will be referencing them as I get more accustomed to the ereader world.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

flyboy707   09-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Keep us posted on your "Kindle" experience.

I'm interested in what your experience/likes/dislikes with it will be.

Auskar   09-30-2010, 01:33 PM
I will have to remember this forum name.

I've written a novel, but I intend to rewrite it to make it a little longer, more complex, and to get deeper into some of the characters. I've written about thirty short stories and I'm working on getting them published in respected sites (and rewriting them along the way).

The novel is in a MS Word format now. Electronically publishing it myself seems like a good low-cost option. I haven't explored it because I'm better at writing and promoting, but I like having options.

TerrLight.com, is where I can spout off about anything. Visit. Link.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5