Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Scott Miller   12-24-2009, 10:54 AM
colburn0004 Wrote:Fixed my post for bad spelling. From everything I have heard about the wire I will definitely have to try to see it. I had seen a couple episodes when it first started but it didn't grab me at the time.

It must be watched in order or you'll struggle making sense of things and it definitely a show that rewards the patient viewer. Season 2 seems to throw people; it is so much different from the first season and it is the slowest moving but it is essential for the big picture. Seasons 3, 4, & 5 are brilliant, especially 4.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
webby   12-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Since I rarely watch tv, I haven't seen most (any?) of the shows mentioned so far. I did, however, recently watch all the episodes of Jericho and Heroes on the internet.

Soooo... I say the best tv show of the decade was Jericho. I haven't gotten so involved and emotionally invested in a tv show since I don't know when.

Scott Miller Wrote:As for the movie, I'd have to think on it but off the top of my head I'd go with The Lord Of The Rings.

Agree with Scott on the movie. Sitting in the theatre watching Fellowship of the Ring, as the Shire first came into view it brought tears to my eyes for the absolute perfection of it.

Ken Valentine Wrote:It's another 373 days until the decade actually comes to an end.

Ken V.

We (generally speaking) didn't celebrate the changing of the millenium on the correct date either, so it's par for the course. Wink

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ken Valentine   12-24-2009, 01:48 PM
webby Wrote:Agree with Scott on the movie. Sitting in the theatre watching Fellowship of the Ring, as the Shire first came into view it brought tears to my eyes for the absolute perfection of it.
I didn't get to see it in the theater, but even on DVD it was stunning.
Quote:We (generally speaking) didn't celebrate the changing of the millenium on the correct date either, so it's par for the course. Wink
I guess it is. I wasn't on the internet at that time, but I remember fussing about the millenium as well.

Decades, centuries, and millennia always begin with a 1.

Ken V.
Kenji   12-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Movies:The Lord of the Rings trilogy, Pan's Labyrinth, Dark Knight, Gran Torino, and .......Avatar!

TVs: Lost, Battlestar Galactica, The Shield, 24, Prison Break.
Paul R   12-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Decades, centuries, and millennia always begin with a 1.

Ken V.
But do they? I think the first year of a decade, or a century or a whatever starts at zero. Think of it in decimals: the very first year goes 0.0, 0.1, 0.2.... 0.9 then 1.0. So the second year is 1.0 through to 1.9 and the third year begins 2.0. Following this logic, the current decade ends at 9.9 before the next one begins at 10.0 so it starts with a zero, not a one. :p

"I handed in the new RJ novel with the
working title, BY THE SWORD. David says the sales force loved the title at the
pre Turkey-Day sales meeting, so that's what it will be. That means Paul Ramplin
gets a credit line in the acknowledgments.
"
Ken Valentine   12-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Paul R Wrote:But do they? I think the first year of a decade, or a century or a whatever starts at zero. Think of it in decimals: the very first year goes 0.0, 0.1, 0.2.... 0.9 then 1.0. So the second year is 1.0 through to 1.9 and the third year begins 2.0. Following this logic, the current decade ends at 9.9 before the next one begins at 10.0 so it starts with a zero, not a one. :p
First, there is no year "zero." There's the year 1 AD, and the year 1 BC, but no year zero in between.

It's the same in numbering years as it is in numbering anything.

When you're counting squares of toilet paper for example, you don't start with, "This is square Zero." Nope, you start at "square one." Big Grin

Using your example of decimals, 0.0 is not a number. You have theoretical 0.0, but your actual count begins with 0.1 and finishes with 1.0. That's the first "whole," the first decade (if you want to move the decimal place over a bit.)

One through ten is ten things, whether you're counting Aardvarks, Wombats, squares of toilet paper, noses, or years.

The Latin word for ten is deca. Uni, Duo, Tri, Quadri, Penti, Hexa, Septa, Octo, Nove, Deca.

(I hope I'm not mixing up Latin and Italian.)

Expressed in Arabic numerals, Deca is 10.

In "years," one through ten is a "decade." Eleven begins the second "decade."

Same with centuries. The first century goes from 1 to 100, (not from 0 to 99) the second century begins with 101 and goes to 200 . . . and so on.

Ken V.
Alvin Fox   12-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Just to throw in my two cents. I think what is implied is the ending of the '00's. The Aughts, The Singles, The Double Zeros, whatever you want to call it. When VH1 does it '80's specials it refers to the time from 01-01-1980 to 12-31-1989.

Also, cannot a decade just mean "a period of ten years" that can start at any point?
Srem   12-26-2009, 02:26 AM
webby Wrote:Since I rarely watch tv, I haven't seen most (any?) of the shows mentioned so far. I did, however, recently watch all the episodes of Jericho and Heroes on the internet.

Soooo... I say the best tv show of the decade was Jericho. I haven't gotten so involved and emotionally invested in a tv show since I don't know when.

I have to agree with webby on this one, Jericho was one of my favs, most definitely. It's a shame they had to end it prematurely before they could draw out the full plot, though. Seems to always happen with the good stuff.
Also, I really enjoyed T3: The Sarah Conner Chronicles.

My favorite big screen movie in the last nine years is a tough one, but off the top of my head I would have to say that the first Lord of the Rings movie did it for me.

[SIZE=4]§ґφ[/SIZE]җ

Witchbreed Book of Dreams
Paul R   12-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:First, there is no year "zero." There's the year 1 AD, and the year 1 BC, but no year zero in between.

It's the same in numbering years as it is in numbering anything.

When you're counting squares of toilet paper for example, you don't start with, "This is square Zero." Nope, you start at "square one." Big Grin

Using your example of decimals, 0.0 is not a number. You have theoretical 0.0, but your actual count begins with 0.1 and finishes with 1.0. That's the first "whole," the first decade (if you want to move the decimal place over a bit.)

One through ten is ten things, whether you're counting Aardvarks, Wombats, squares of toilet paper, noses, or years.

The Latin word for ten is deca. Uni, Duo, Tri, Quadri, Penti, Hexa, Septa, Octo, Nove, Deca.

(I hope I'm not mixing up Latin and Italian.)

Expressed in Arabic numerals, Deca is 10.

In "years," one through ten is a "decade." Eleven begins the second "decade."

Same with centuries. The first century goes from 1 to 100, (not from 0 to 99) the second century begins with 101 and goes to 200 . . . and so on.

Ken V.
But...
You've just contradicted yourself. (And I'm pointing this out because I think it shows why you've got it wrong.)
Previously, you say 'Decades, centuries, and millennia always begin with a 1.'
Then you say 'Using your example of decimals, 0.0 is not a number. You have theoretical 0.0, but your actual count begins with 0.1 and finishes with 1.0. That's the first "whole," the first decade (if you want to move the decimal place over a bit.)'

And that's exactly what I'm saying. Yes, you start with a 1, but in a calendar year, there are twleve months that come before that 1.
A year goes 12 months and only then does it become the first year. And so a decade does that ten times, the tenth time being the 12 months of the tenth year, only becoming the 10 after the 9 years plus the 12 months have passed.
Your move!Wink

"I handed in the new RJ novel with the
working title, BY THE SWORD. David says the sales force loved the title at the
pre Turkey-Day sales meeting, so that's what it will be. That means Paul Ramplin
gets a credit line in the acknowledgments.
"
colburn0004   12-26-2009, 02:59 PM
For the sake of the thread and sanity how about we just say the best movie and tv show from 1-1-00 to 12-31-09, and remove the word decade lol. Deal?

"Sanity? Worthless things like that, I never had them for as long as I can remember!"
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5