Scott Miller   01-06-2010, 06:10 PM
What an ingeniusly simple concept done well. Gabriel Byrne plays a therapist and each half hour episode has him working with a specific client and then he visits his own therapist(not really accurate but applicable)played by the incredible Diane Wiest. He has four clients: a woman who claims to love him, a pilot responsible for bombing a school, a young female Olympic hopeful in gymnastics and a couple whose marriage is in disarray. Each episode deals almost exclusively with him at work but they are starting to show glimpses of his wife and child. As you can imagine, the show is almost strictly dialogue and the subject matter is as heavy as anything I've seen, but it is brilliantly written and I think offers a most fascinating peek into the world of psychotherapy(it may be called something else but I don't know the distictions between the different fields of psychoanalysis). I've only watched the first 10 episodes(out of 43)but I'm pretty well hooked at this point.
This post was last modified: 01-06-2010, 06:14 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Maggers   01-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I love this series, Scott, and I am well placed in the world to appreciate it. I have to catch up with the second season. I haven't seen any of it. But the first season was unexpectedly addicting.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   01-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Maggers Wrote:I love this series, Scott, and I am well placed in the world to appreciate it. I have to catch up with the second season. I haven't seen any of it. But the first season was unexpectedly addicting.

I see the second season has John Mahoney and Hope Davis as patients so it might even be an improvement on the already excellent show.

Scott

Maggers   01-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I see the second season has John Mahoney and Hope Davis as patients so it might even be an improvement on the already excellent show.
Oh, wait, then I've seen the second season, and I loved/disliked those characters. Geez, can't keep up with my own memory. I guess I need to check out the third season, or has it gone that far yet?

Do you find that you want to throttle the patients every now and again? Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Scott Miller   01-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Maggers Wrote:Oh, wait, then I've seen the second season, and I loved/disliked those characters. Geez, can't keep up with my own memory. I guess I need to check out the third season, or has it gone that far yet?

Do you find that you want to throttle the patients every now and again? Big Grin

I'm not sure if they've begun the third season or not or if there is even going to be a third.

I would go past throttling really quick with some of them-especially the husband(of the fertility couple). Pretty easy to see why many therapists have therapists-I don't think I could handle it.

Scott