Pages (9):    1 4 5 6 7 8 9   
saynomore   01-01-2010, 03:49 AM
I compare the movie in IMAX 3-D to a ride in an amusement park. At the end of the ride, I don't say, The plot to that ride was not involving. I say, Let's get another ticket and get on that ride again.

AC

P.S. It wasn't a roller coaster, but it wasn't a merry-go-round either.
fpw   01-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Saw "Avatar" in 3D yesterday. Turn your brain off and revel in the visual feast, especially the Roger Dean floating buttes. Really, you can't think about the story (a by-the-numbers Hollywood bildungsroman) or the characters (all-bad bad guys and wartless protagonists), or even those Roger Dean buttes, so just lean back and drink it all in. I might go again.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   01-01-2010, 11:33 AM
fpw Wrote:Saw "Avatar" in 3D yesterday. Turn your brain off and revel in the visual feast, especially the Roger Dean floating buttes. Really, you can't think about the story (a by-the-numbers Hollywood bildungsroman) or the characters (all-bad bad guys and wartless protagonists), or even those Roger Dean buttes, so just lean back and drink it all in. I might go again.

Roger Dean's floating buttes, yeah, that's right! ASIA's cover designer! Big Grin
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Kenji Wrote:Roger Dean's floating buttes, yeah, that's right! ASIA's cover designer! Big Grin

And let's not forget YES!
Srem   01-01-2010, 03:50 PM
fpw Wrote:Saw "Avatar" in 3D yesterday. Turn your brain off and revel in the visual feast, especially the Roger Dean floating buttes. Really, you can't think about the story (a by-the-numbers Hollywood bildungsroman) or the characters (all-bad bad guys and wartless protagonists), or even those Roger Dean buttes, so just lean back and drink it all in. I might go again.

As someone who's always been interested in reading, writing, and art, and have learned to separate the good from the bad. Case in point this movie; I was thinking along the lines of 'visual' entertainment. Wasn't too concerned with the acting, but more in the creation of all the odd-looking creatures and landscape. It kinda reminded me of the Myst games that came out years ago, with their awesome and fantastical imagery.

[SIZE=4]§ґφ[/SIZE]җ

Witchbreed Book of Dreams
BK Akitas   01-01-2010, 07:49 PM
finally went to see this- I wanted to ignore it bc I can't stand over hyped ad campaigns, stuff like the McDonalds ads (really, WTF does a big mac have to do with Avatar????? honestly?) and movie poster placements in damn near every tv show...
saw it in 3d was just blown away by the spectacular imagery. ignore the predictable story lines and oh-how-could-I-not-see-that-coming moments and just take it for entertainment value and its a sensory delight. there are a few scenes where I felt so immersed in the visual effects I could have sworn I could touch them.
loved it. will be buying this one

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
The Mad American   01-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Saw this in 3D as well and wow 3D has come a long way from the old blue and red glasses.

Visually stunning and fun movie. As FPW said, turn off your brain and just enjoy the ride. It is worth the viewing.

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

Ken Valentine   01-02-2010, 03:59 AM
Kenji Wrote:Roger Dean's floating buttes, yeah, that's right! ASIA's cover designer! Big Grin
I don't know anything about ASIA'S cover designs, but a Butte is a hill, or small mountain, that rises from the surrounding area, stands alone, and has sharply sloping sides and a flat top.

Kind of a small Mesa.

Ken V.

Here's a photo of Junction Butte in Utah:
Attached Files
.jpg
junction-butte.jpg (Size: 28.97 KB Downloads: 77)
.jpg
mesa.jpg (Size: 13.76 KB Downloads: 82)
Kenji   01-02-2010, 04:35 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:I don't know anything about ASIA'S cover designs, but a Butte is a hill, or small mountain, that rises from the surrounding area, stands alone, and has sharply sloping sides and a flat top.

Kind of a small Mesa.

Ken V.

Here's a photo of Junction Butte in Utah:

Those are ASIA's album covers.

And, I know about "butte". Smile
Attached Files
.jpg
asia.jpg (Size: 28.88 KB Downloads: 76)
.jpg
asia2.jpg (Size: 53.96 KB Downloads: 71)
flyingfox   01-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Saw it the other day in 3D, I thought it started out a bit slow and boring, but that misconception only lasted a few minutes. I have to learn to give films a chance to get going. It was GREAT, the 3 hours FLEW by, thats how good it was!!
Wonder how it looks in 2D, as that's how we will have to see it on DVD!!!
Pages (9):    1 4 5 6 7 8 9