dezboi   05-22-2009, 12:35 PM
One of FPW's latest Twitter entries mentions a 22 word piece of "hint fiction" (also called "Flash Fiction"). It is essentially, minimalist approach to writing fiction, in which brevity, a minimal word count, is the key. It's not a form I'm familiar with, but apparently it's not new; FPW mentions Hemingway's piece: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

For everyone else, if you are unfamiliar (like I was) Wikipedia has an article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_fiction

My questions:
1 - When do we get to see the 22 word piece of fiction?
2 - Any intention of compiling this minimalist approach into a -- say, oh I don't know -- a triffids story?

"Many men, perhaps even most, are unhappy in their souls. We burn so hard, but we shed so little light; it makes us crazy and sad." - Clive Barker Galilee
fpw   05-22-2009, 01:39 PM
dezboi Wrote:One of FPW's latest Twitter entries mentions a 22 word piece of "hint fiction" (also called "Flash Fiction"). It is essentially, minimalist approach to writing fiction, in which brevity, a minimal word count, is the key. It's not a form I'm familiar with, but apparently it's not new; FPW mentions Hemingway's piece: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

For everyone else, if you are unfamiliar (like I was) Wikipedia has an article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_fiction

My questions:
1 - When do we get to see the 22 word piece of fiction?
2 - Any intention of compiling this minimalist approach into a -- say, oh I don't know -- a triffids story?

As I understand it (and I first heard the term only 2 days ago) hint fiction differs from flash fiction in that it's much shorter. The anthology I was asked into limits each story to 25 words or less. That means you must provide enough context for the reader to be able to fill in the gaps. IOW, imply enough to allow the reader to infer the rest.

You'll have to wait for the anthology to read "Pranksters." I've sold the story, so publication rights are no longer mine.

I'm having fun with the Twitter triffids. It started on a whim after my passing remark about mulching my triffid pen evoked a number of responses. Why not see where I could take it? A challenge at only 140 characters per entry. I have no idea where it's going.
This post was last modified: 05-22-2009, 01:41 PM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jerrund   05-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Flash Fiction generally runs 1000-1500 words (depending on who you ask), and it can be quite challenging to write a good piece of flash.

25 words, however, is just crazy, but I like the Hemmingway example.
Drlazarus   05-22-2009, 08:51 PM
When will "Pranksters" be released?

Have you seen the promos for the new "Day of the Triffids" movie? It has a good cast and I can hope the Triffids effects will be top notch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1332653/
fpw   05-23-2009, 10:06 AM
Drlazarus Wrote:When will "Pranksters" be released?

Have you seen the promos for the new "Day of the Triffids" movie? It has a good cast and I can hope the Triffids effects will be top notch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1332653/
Again? It's such a contrived plot/set-up. Triffids are kinda cool but awkward and slow - like zombies. A triffid film is a zombie film.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Drlazarus   05-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe they will be super-fast triffids like the new "Dawn of the Dead" zombies. That would have some great comedic value at least.
Ken Valentine   09-02-2009, 08:55 AM
jerrund Wrote:25 words, however, is just crazy, but I like the Hemmingway example.
Twenty five words?

Would this qualify?

The Aristocrat said, "Only the worthless peasant digs in the earth."

The peasants had had enough. They decided not to sell him any more food.

Ken V.