Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5
Ken Valentine   12-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Silverfish Wrote:Mary had a little lamb, a little tea, a little jam,
A great big soda topped with fizz, boy how sick our Mary is.
Mary had a little lamb,
That had a sooty foot,
And everywhere that Mary went,
His sooty foot he put.

Burma Shave Big Grin

Ken V.
lexator222   12-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey, guys (and gals) those are GREAT! I have heard most of them, but different variations of them.
Now, I have a question! Having been raised in California, and not really gone anywhere east of Vegas, there is something I need to know. My housemate is from back east somewhere (moved alot as a kid) and he has a habit of taking a towel in the kitchen, doesn't matter if it is a hand towel or dish towel, and he puts it in the sink, to wash the dishes with. He said that when he was growing up, everyone in this particular city used a "wet towel" to wash dishes. I have never heard of such a thing, and since I have limited exposure to east coast customs, I thought that I would present it to you people, see what you think. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Lexator
Brian   12-27-2008, 12:02 AM
lexator222 Wrote:Hey, guys (and gals) those are GREAT! I have heard most of them, but different variations of them.
Now, I have a question! Having been raised in California, and not really gone anywhere east of Vegas, there is something I need to know. My housemate is from back east somewhere (moved alot as a kid) and he has a habit of taking a towel in the kitchen, doesn't matter if it is a hand towel or dish towel, and he puts it in the sink, to wash the dishes with. He said that when he was growing up, everyone in this particular city used a "wet towel" to wash dishes. I have never heard of such a thing, and since I have limited exposure to east coast customs, I thought that I would present it to you people, see what you think. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Lexator

My mother and grandmother still wash stuff in the sink with a "wash rag". I use the dishwasher or paper plates. Big Grin

There is no wise man without fault
Ken Valentine   12-27-2008, 12:24 AM
lexator222 Wrote:Hey, guys (and gals) those are GREAT! I have heard most of them, but different variations of them.
Yes.

Before automatic dish washers, people all over the country used to use a small cloth to rub food off of the dishes when washing them -- and to wash off the inside of glasses as well. Mostly, it was the same kind of wash cloth one used when taking a bath. It was easier and faster (and gave better results) than trying to rub off food scraps with your hand.

Ken V.
lexator222   12-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Yes, my Grandmother, and my mother also had used a small washcloth, but these are full sized towels! The kind that you use to DRY the dishes in the old days, plus, he throws the "wet rag" in the sink, throws food on top of it, along with dirty dishes, he says that this is the way it was done in his childhood! WIERD!
On a note BACK to RJ, I have gone into Borders, and found RJ books, and FPW books under "Horror", but in other stores under "Mystery", and yet in some under "Fiction". Just because Jack is fighting Rakoshi in the first book, doesn't mean that ALL of his stories should be classified as "Horror"! The stories seem to follow the same line as the "Spencer" novels, which are "Mystery" novels. Where does FPW stand on that?
This post was last modified: 12-27-2008, 01:46 AM by lexator222.
Ken Valentine   12-27-2008, 02:06 AM
lexator222 Wrote:Yes, my Grandmother, and my mother also had used a small washcloth, but these are full sized towels! The kind that you use to DRY the dishes in the old days, plus, he throws the "wet rag" in the sink, throws food on top of it, along with dirty dishes, he says that this is the way it was done in his childhood! WIERD!
Now that is strange.

Ken V.
Srem   02-24-2009, 10:58 PM
I have been reading FPW's stuff since before I was in high school, and have noticed throughout the many years that his books can be hard to find. Maybe that's because they're so damn good, and everyone who finds them keeps them. I have kept every single book of his that I have bought. Most every other book I have ever owned has been donated to friends and/or thrift shops.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5