Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-23-2008, 12:02 AM
wdg3rd Wrote:The "Young Adult" books won't be necessary for reading any of the adult Jack books, though they may enhance the experience. It is recommended that you read Black Wind before By the Sword, but reading Black Wind is always a good idea anyway. There seems to be an argument whether Deep as the Marrow or BW is Paul's best novel (not having yet read the copy of DatM that I know is in a box somewhere in this attic, I don't have a dog in that fight, but Black Wind is better than any individual Jack novel, though the Jack series beats everything else except maybe the LaNague stuff.

I've never understood why BLACK WIND wasn't nominated for, and win, that year's Nebula Award. Maybe Paul was slack in his SFWA dues?Idea
ghaleon23   12-23-2008, 12:03 AM
wdg3rd Wrote:The "Young Adult" books won't be necessary for reading any of the adult Jack books, though they may enhance the experience. It is recommended that you read Black Wind before By the Sword, but reading Black Wind is always a good idea anyway. There seems to be an argument whether Deep as the Marrow or BW is Paul's best novel (not having yet read the copy of DatM that I know is in a box somewhere in this attic, I don't have a dog in that fight, but Black Wind is better than any individual Jack novel, though the Jack series beats everything else except maybe the LaNague stuff.

Black winds not RJ novel,correct? Is Rasalom involved with it at all..Just curious...

ghaleon..What is it you can see that I do not??For where you can see hope and a future, I see only despair!

"A man slowly battered into despair and hopelessness...thats a delicacy..In your case it may even approach ecstasy. I dont want to deprive myself of that"..Rasalom

"Some people dont want anything practical,like money. Some men just want to watch the world Burn"

"We spit on your tests"!!!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-23-2008, 12:06 AM
ghaleon23 Wrote:Black winds not RJ novel,correct? Is Rasalom involved with it at all..Just curious...

It's a stand-alone, ghaleon, though elements of it turn up in BY THE SWORD.
Brian   12-23-2008, 12:13 AM
That would mean I add another book to the list, Black Wind before By the Sword. Thanks for the tip.

There is no wise man without fault
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-23-2008, 12:17 AM
Brian Wrote:That would mean I add another book to the list, Black Wind before By the Sword. Thanks for the tip.

I'd say, Brian, BLACK WIND is to Paul's oeuvre what THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS was to Heinlein's body of work--the best single novel.
Brian   12-23-2008, 12:22 AM
As I prowl around here, I've seen frequent mention of Black Wind. If the thanks button was still here, you'd have had a thanks from me.

There is no wise man without fault
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Brian Wrote:As I prowl around here, I've seen frequent mention of Black Wind. If the thanks button was still here, you'd have had a thanks from me.

My pleasure, Brian. I get a few twisted kicks turning friends on to great fiction.Wink
wdg3rd   12-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I'd say, Brian, BLACK WIND is to Paul's oeuvre what THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS was to Heinlein's body of work--the best single novel.

Blues, there you get into deep water. Yes, TMiaHM is one of Heinlein's best novels (consistently in my top five). But placement there varies (often depending on what I reread last). Job: A Comedy of Justice tops it regularly (being an atheist raised fundy protestant, as well as a fan of RAH's source material for that one). The unabridged Stranger in a Strange Land, Tunnel in the Sky, Citizen of the Galaxy and Starship Troopers fill out my Top Five (to six, but I don't count well when I'm drinking). Which is Number One varies, as I said. In fact, as soon as I finish rereading (yeah, I do that a lot, no funds for new books) Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky, I'll probably reread all of those again. It's been a couple years.

Ward Griffiths

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
Bluesman Mike Lindner   12-23-2008, 12:53 AM
wdg3rd Wrote:Blues, there you get into deep water. Yes, TMiaHM is one of Heinlein's best novels (consistently in my top five). But placement there varies (often depending on what I reread last). Job: A Comedy of Justice tops it regularly (being an atheist raised fundy protestant, as well as a fan of RAH's source material for that one). The unabridged Stranger in a Strange Land, Tunnel in the Sky, Citizen of the Galaxy and Starship Troopers fill out my Top Five (to six, but I don't count well when I'm drinking). Which is Number One varies, as I said. In fact, as soon as I finish rereading (yeah, I do that a lot, no funds for new books) Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky, I'll probably reread all of those again. It's been a couple years.

I hear you, brother. It's like saying, "What's the best Beatles' album?" Un, where do we want to start...

My Top 5 RAH novels:

TMIAHM
STARSHIP TROOPERS
CITIZEN OF THE GALAXY
BETWEEN PLANETS
FRIDAY

My =other= top 5 are:
JOB
TUNNEL IN THE SKY
PLANET OF GLORY
STARMAN JONES
PODKAYNE OF MARS
lexator222   12-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Okay, the whole "Frosted Goat" thingy came from my Grandmother, who lived in MO. she talked funny (ie: the island in the middle of the pacific was "Howareya", and the state she lived in was "Missoura") so, I guess it gets COLD in that neck of the country, cold enough to have a frosted goat! She was always saying things that would remind me of Garrison Keelers novels. She once told me "I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life! I know this may sound funny, but it keeps them on my knife!" :-)
She was a GREAT grandmother, and I miss her greatly! Speaking of funny sayings, there are a couple from Norm Crosby that I would like to share with the group:
It was only a thought, it was only a dream,
but it haunted me all through the night....
Six beautiful girls were fighting over me,
And the ugly BROAD kept winning the fight!!!!

Here's the second:
It is often said that the good die young,
that's the basis of all my fears!
So, let's be evil and mean and wicked and bad,
and stay here for hundreds of years!

I just LOVE stuff like that. Like the poems of Victor Buono, they were
fantastic! and the standup comedy of Victor Borge, he was great!
nothing better. Take care, Gang!

Lexator
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5