Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
fpw   01-20-2009, 10:07 AM
from PW:

Aftershock & Others: 19 Oddities F. Paul Wilson. Forge, $25.95 (352p) ISBN 978-0-7653-1277-8
Bestseller Wilson (By the Sword) displays an expert grasp of storytelling mechanics and an impressive breadth of themes and approaches in what he says in an afterword is his last collection. The title tale is a moving meditation on love and loss, built on the unlikely premise of lightning-strike survivors seeing the spirits of their dear departed at their near-death moment of electrocution. “Dreams” riffs on the Frankenstein theme with its speculation on how the monster might act were its brain to have retained aspects of its predeath personality. In “Interlude at Duane's,” urban mercenary hero Repairman Jack must foil a four-man holdup with found weapons fashioned from consumer goods on the shelves of the drugstore where it takes place. In all these efforts, Wilson establishes characters with a few deft strokes, quickly sets up a tricky plot, and then masterfully maneuvers the reader to a well-orchestrated (and sometimes surprising) ending. Fans will hope they haven't seen the last of Wilson's short fiction. (Mar.)
This post was last modified: 11-17-2009, 06:20 PM by fpw.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Lysistrata   01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Amazon fr will have it in March 2009 and I can pre-order it Smile Smile Smile

Trying to be nice
Alvin Fox   01-20-2009, 12:55 PM
fpw Wrote:Fans will hope they haven't seen the last of Wilson's short fiction.

Yeah, we'll hope.
hford713   01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Already pre-ordered.
Psyched!
Brian   01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
It's posts like this that make my day. Ordering..

There is no wise man without fault
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-22-2009, 12:55 PM
fpw Wrote:from PW:

Aftershock & Others: 19 Oddities F. Paul Wilson. Forge, $25.95 (352p) ISBN 978-0-7653-1277-8
Bestseller Wilson (By the Sword) displays an expert grasp of storytelling mechanics and an impressive breadth of themes and approaches in what he says in an afterword is his last collection. The title tale is a moving meditation on love and loss, built on the unlikely premise of lightning-strike survivors seeing the spirits of their dear departed at their near-death moment of electrocution. “Dreams” riffs on the Frankenstein theme with its speculation on how the monster might act were its brain to have retained aspects of its predeath personality. In “Interlude at Duane's,” urban mercenary hero Repairman Jack must foil a four-man holdup with found weapons fashioned from consumer goods on the shelves of the drugstore where it takes place. In all these efforts, Wilson establishes characters with a few deft strokes, quickly sets up a tricky plot, and then masterfully maneuvers the reader to a well-orchestrated (and sometimes surprising) ending. Fans will hope they haven't seen the last of Wilson's short fiction. (Mar.)

Lincoln Triangle has 5 on order, which won't last long. About as long as it takes me to get me credit card out.
hford713   01-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Amazon informs me that this has been postponed until April.
fpw   01-30-2009, 02:33 AM
hford713 Wrote:Amazon informs me that this has been postponed until April.
It was March 17, now it's March 31. I guess that's sorta April.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Irishkkc 2.0   01-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Your last foray into short fiction? Definitely a must read I just wish you'd do more explorations into short fiction.
fpw   01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Irishkkc 2.0 Wrote:Your last foray into short fiction? Definitely a must read I just wish you'd do more explorations into short fiction.
I'll do short pieces here and there, but they'll be few and far between. Can't see that I'll ever have enough for another collection.

FPW
FAQ
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4