Pages (3): 1 2 3   
fpw   11-17-2008, 06:35 PM
[SIZE="3"]Here's the cover for the new trade paperback edition of The Touch. Obviously they're tying the Adversary series (and rightly so) to the RJ series.[/SIZE]
Attached Files
.jpg
touch_cvr.jpg (Size: 94.61 KB Downloads: 618)

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Libby   11-17-2008, 06:37 PM
fpw Wrote:Here's the cover for the new trade paperback edition of The Touch Obviously they're tying the Adversary series (and rightly so) to the RJ series.

That is very cool! I like the new cover a lot.Smile

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-17-2008, 06:57 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Here's the cover for the new trade paperback edition of The Touch. Obviously they're tying the Adversary series (and rightly so) to the RJ series.[/SIZE]

Paul, please take this in the good way it's offered, from an old bookseller who wants your novels to sell zillions...

The new covers are too "arty." They are lovely, when you look at them. But they don't stand out. You are competing against other fictioneers whose publishers' art directors design covers to grab the casual browser's eye. Very important! Of course you have many, many loyal readers who put your new works on the NYT list, but why stop there? Leave the subtle art inside the pages. Make the jackets bright and bold.

Just a coupla thoughts...
cobalt   11-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Actually Blues, if you notice that "hot" new green is used on the cover as well as reds and yellows. Eye catching, as some women are drawn to the "new" colors. I think they call it apple green or lime green. The Man will appreciate my view of the color.....I call it Salem Sump tube green Big Grin I avoid it at all costs...but that's me.

EWMAN
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-17-2008, 07:38 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:Actually Blues, if you notice that "hot" new green is used on the cover as well as reds and yellows. Eye catching, as some women are drawn to the "new" colors. I think they call it apple green or lime green. The Man will appreciate my view of the color.....I call it Salem Sump tube green Big Grin I avoid it at all costs...but that's me.

I was just giving my view as a guy who sells books, cobalt. Just trying to help. I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...Rolleyes
cobalt   11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I was just giving my view as a guy who sells books, cobalt. Just trying to help. I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...Rolleyes

True Blues, and I offered mine as well....no problem is there?

EWMAN
Bluesman Mike Lindner   11-17-2008, 07:58 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:True Blues, and I offered mine as well....no problem is there?

None whatsoever.
cobalt   11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:None whatsoever.

Cool

EWMAN
Silverfish   11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Looking good Paul!

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
Anders Monsen   11-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:The new covers are too "arty." They are lovely, when you look at them. But they don't stand out. You are competing against other fictioneers whose publishers' art directors design covers to grab the casual browser's eye. Very important! Of course you have many, many loyal readers who put your new works on the NYT list, but why stop there? Leave the subtle art inside the pages. Make the jackets bright and bold.

Bluesman, though I do not sell books for a living, I must respectfully disagree from the perspective of a buyer. I loved the covers of many paperbacks in the 1980s and early 1990s. Some time before Y2K the covers on most sf paperback went weird on me, to the point where I find it hard sometimes to buy paperbacks of books by authors that I like.

I actually think this cover is quite stunning for a mass market paperback. I like the mashup of Bladerunner and Frankenstein that this cover evokes.

I would like to see some hard numbers as to which books sell because of specific types of covers, and which books fail because of this "arty" cover. By which criteria is this cover "arty?" If I didn't already own a copy of The Touch I certainly would not be put off by this cover. Instead, I would pick it up and admire the brilliant colors and stark contrasts.

Anders
Pages (3): 1 2 3