Pages (3):    1 2 3   
Lisa   11-12-2008, 01:29 PM
FreeBeerTomorrow Wrote:Other than the first couple, I've found the Potter books to be very well written and entertaining (much moreso than the movies). FPW's stuff is classic but give credit where credit is due.

Gotta agree here. Apples and oranges. I believe even Effy himself has enjoyed a Harry Potter or two. And as he says, while JK may not be the most perfect writer ever mechanics-wise, she's a great storyteller. Smile
fpw   11-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Lisa Wrote:Gotta agree here. Apples and oranges. I believe even Effy himself has enjoyed a Harry Potter or two. And as he says, while JK may not be the most perfect writer ever mechanics-wise, she's a great storyteller. Smile

[SIZE="3"]True. I read all 7 and loved the story and characters. Would have liked to have abducted her into the Borderlands Bootcamp, though, where we'd have dumped a ton of adverbs and honed and sharpened her prose. We'd never have let her get away with all the flab in the belly of book 7. (I've yet to meet anyone who didn't skim through the middle.)

Not that she'd have sold a single extra copy because of our efforts, but I would have found them easier to read (and it's all about me).[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Libby   11-12-2008, 07:01 PM
fpw Wrote:True. I read all 7 and loved the story and characters. Would have liked to have abducted her into the Borderlands Bootcamp, though, where we'd have dumped a ton of adverbs and honed and sharpened her prose. We'd never have let her get away with all the flab in the belly of book 7. (I've yet to meet anyone who didn't skim through the middle.)

I didn't!!!Big Grin Though I did hate the 7th book... [spoiler]The reason she killed of Fred was to stop all of the [/spoiler]fan-fics involving "twinsest":mad::mad::mad::madBig Grinon't you hate people sometimes?
This post was last modified: 11-12-2008, 08:22 PM by Libby.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be"

"The opposite of war isn't peace; it's creation."

You'd think that Killing people would make them like you, but it doesn't! it just makes people dead.
Jamo   11-26-2008, 06:38 PM
This question is really interesing, also the answer! (about the scar)
I never had the association with Harry Potter but your reason is comprehensible, Paul.
I think there are more important things about Jack, the Scar isn't that important, your choice is ok.

greets

ps: I liked the harry Potter novels, they are great and have nothing to do with RJ Wink
This post was last modified: 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM by Jamo.

"Dem ago call a war a holy war...but if a war is holy....what unholy stands for?
(Gentleman)

Visit my private Portfolio on www.manufolio.de
Brian   11-30-2008, 09:27 PM
I've never read one of the Rowling books. But I was forced a few years back by my ex to one of the movies. Hated it and swore never to do so again. I'm thoroughly enjoying Black Wind. If all of these books are as well written, I have a new favorite author.
wdg3rd   11-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Brian Wrote:I've never read one of the Rowling books. But I was forced a few years back by my ex to one of the movies. Hated it and swore never to do so again. I'm thoroughly enjoying Black Wind. If all of these books are as well written, I have a new favorite author.

I won't claim that everything is as good as Black Wind. That one seems to have been one of Paul's extreme efforts. But every thing Paul has been paid for is at least good craftsmanship. And as much as I love the Adversary Cycle and Repairman Jack, I want to see more stuff in the LaNague universe. But it's Paul's labor, life, imagination and choice.

I've read the first several Rowling novels, I think through Order of the Phoenix. I suppose I should read the rest eventually, they're somewhere here in the house. La Esposa is a bigger fan than I am, so they're probably on the shelves on her side of the bed. (So are a bunch of my Heinlein novels -- gotta steal those back).

Ward Griffiths

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot
Tomm   12-07-2008, 02:34 AM
The scars burned when he was near The Oculus, not Rasalom. Another time, as I recall from "Conspiracies", the scares were irritated when he was near Melanie's house, but that could have been caused by the close approximation of "The Twins".

Mr. Wilson, any similarities that your writings have with any other publications has no significance. Your series of books on Just Jack are well produced and entertaining. I have read all of them up to and including "Harbingers" and I hope nothing interfears with the quality of future reading. I am waiting for "Bloodline" and "By The Sword" to be delivered as I write.
This post was last modified: 12-07-2008, 09:41 PM by Tomm.
Automatic Jack   12-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Jamo Wrote:I liked the harry Potter novels, they are great and have nothing to do with RJ Wink
Yeah, except for the part where [spoiler]Jack kills Dumbledore[/spoiler].

Lame Internet humour aside, I actually never thought about the scars what with all the usual weirdness that Jack accumulates, but I never would have guessed the reason for their not having been mentioned in a while. Very interesting. Something to put on the DVD commentary!

Ya gotta tell everyone, Hatcher! Soylent green is PEOPLE!!
Ken Valentine   12-09-2008, 06:07 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]True. I read all 7 and loved the story and characters. Would have liked to have abducted her into the Borderlands Bootcamp, though, where we'd have dumped a ton of adverbs and honed and sharpened her prose. We'd never have let her get away with all the flab in the belly of book 7. (I've yet to meet anyone who didn't skim through the middle.)[/size]
She definitely needed a bit of editing.

"At the age of one year old ..."

"Crabbe and Goyle laughed sycophantically ..."

"'Hokey smokes Bullwinkle,' said Hermione's voice."

It got to be a bit tedious, but I read book #7 all the way through.

Quote:[SIZE="3"]Not that she'd have sold a single extra copy because of our efforts, but I would have found them easier to read (and it's all about me).[/SIZE]
I would have found them much better reading if some of those weird sentences didn't snap me out of the story like a splash of cold water.

The stories were excellent. The writing . . . not so much.

Ken V.
colburn0004   12-09-2008, 08:25 PM
That's funny I honestly never thought about it that way. When you mention it, it makes sence the reason you would want to cut it down though.

I myself was a big fan of the books, but the movies were ok and I refused to watch after the order of the phoenix. It was my favorite book and the first longer books in the series and they cut it up so much and made it shorter then all the movies before it? It made no sence to me and im done watching the movies. I've always preferred the books obviously so no big deel to me.

"Sanity? Worthless things like that, I never had them for as long as I can remember!"
Pages (3):    1 2 3