Pages (4):    1 2 3 4
cobalt   08-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Maggers Wrote:Ditto for me, too. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED that character and wanted more. Koontz seems to write himself into a corner from which he can't create an exit. His books are nearly all wonderful for 7/8 of the story. That final 1/8 is often a rushed let down. Too bad. Wonder why that is, especially so consistently.

It seems Koontz has a problem ending a story that he's not going to continue on with of late. Take the Odd books as an example. He ends them well for what has happened in that part of the saga, yet leaves it open for another book or two. That of course is IMHO.

EWMAN
mad4tunes   08-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, I've enjoyed ALL of the Odd Thomas books, but they're the only series Koontz has written that I could get into...his problem is that it seems he CAN'T write a decent ending to a novel. It's almost like he writes the climax, and then spends twenty or thirty pages trying to build in trap doors.

Of course, the number of authors who can consistently hold my attention for a long time aren't that rare. Robert B. Parker, Robert A. Heinlein, John D. MacDonald, and our favorite doctor do it with nearly everything they've written.

That said, I am looking forward to the next Odd Thomas novel. And maybe I need to give Koontz a second chance on some of his earlier stuff. But right now, he's like Terry Pratchett...sometimes he's on, mostly he's off. :flybye:

"You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive this right, I may have to kill you in self-defense because you're boring me to death."
Miskatonic & Gin   08-09-2008, 11:32 PM
Legion Wrote:If you were reading back then you will love these. First its Fear Nothing, then Seize the Night. Guys got xeroderma pigmentosum, a disease where he cant be in light of any kind. while roaming the town at night he finds some wierd things going on, then his dad dies ( not a spoiler) and he finds out these weird things may have something to do with him.

READ THEM. They are what made me pick up writing again years back.

I agree. The Chris Snow books and the Odd Thomas books are far and away the best stuff that Koontz has written IMO. The other stuff hasn't really done it for me. Heis finishing up the third Chris Snow book though so I'm really looking forward to that.

Cthulhu for President!

Why vote for a lesser evil? I can think of none better than the great old one, who should return from his slumber to take over the U.S. government and make this country a whole hell of a lot better as the leader of our executive branch. Or destroy it and drive everyone insane, kill us all, or something really nasty! Remember, Cthulhu for President, why vote for the lesser of two evils? Wink
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4