Pages (4):    1 2 3 4
nonsun blob a   07-01-2004, 09:45 PM
what does arc mean?
jimbow8   07-01-2004, 10:23 PM
nonsun blob a Wrote:what does arc mean?
Advance Reading Copy

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Biggles   07-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Richard Kendrick Wrote:Good enough.

RIK

Thanks to Scott I now know that a Black and Tan can't be made with Harp vs. Bass, and I'll not mix an English beer with Guinness. But now I've learned (learnt) that Harp is imported to the US from Canada, where it's brewed under supervision of Guinness. Feh, that still makes it Canadian beer, not Irish. Nothing against English or Canadian beers, but when I want a Celtic beer, that's what I want. Paul, you're Scots-Irish; what say you?

Hell, maybe I'll start a new blend: Black and Gold. Guinness and Rolling Rock.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Dave   07-16-2004, 06:23 AM
Biggles Wrote:Thanks to Scott I now know that a Black and Tan can't be made with Harp vs. Bass, and I'll not mix an English beer with Guinness. But now I've learned (learnt) that Harp is imported to the US from Canada, where it's brewed under supervision of Guinness. Feh, that still makes it Canadian beer, not Irish. Nothing against English or Canadian beers, but when I want a Celtic beer, that's what I want. Paul, you're Scots-Irish; what say you?

Hell, maybe I'll start a new blend: Black and Gold. Guinness and Rolling Rock.

You'll probably find the Guiness is made and imported from Canada as well, if not made in the good ol' US of A near where you live. Does that make it any less Guiness?

Who'd of thought I'd meet an American beer snob (I thought they only existed in the UK). Smile

Dave
Biggles   08-10-2004, 07:45 PM
I've taken lately to collecting ARCs. Maybe Paul has an idea, but I'm wondering how many ARCs, roughly, of limited editions are produced. Seems to me that a Dark Harvest ARC should be rarer than the actual hardback edition.

fpw   08-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Biggles Wrote:I've taken lately to collecting ARCs. Maybe Paul has an idea, but I'm wondering how many ARCs, roughly, of limited editions are produced. Seems to me that a Dark Harvest ARC should be rarer than the actual hardback edition.

I'll ask Barry of Gauntlet sometime. Some authors won't sign them.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Biggles   08-10-2004, 09:36 PM
fpw Wrote:I'll ask Barry of Gauntlet sometime. Some authors won't sign them.

I would love to be on the list of people who get them for writing advance reviews. I can see where some authors might resent being asked to autograph a book originally distributed for free, but ARCs do serve a purpose, and any collector who buys one at ABE or eBay at a premium price from the original owner is really no different from any other after market purchaser, is he?

Speaking of Gauntlet, I've been looking in vain for a Gauntlet edition of The Haunted Air. Ordered one from Amazon used, but they emailed me that it's not available after all. I know that neither Shocklines nor Gauntlet has any in stock.

Anyone out there have a duplicate you are willing to part with (sorry, with which you are willing to part).

Tim Hatch   08-11-2004, 02:02 AM
Biggles Wrote:I would love to be on the list of people who get them for writing advance reviews. I can see where some authors might resent being asked to autograph a book originally distributed for free, but ARCs do serve a purpose, and any collector who buys one at ABE or eBay at a premium price from the original owner is really no different from any other after market purchaser, is he?

Speaking of Gauntlet, I've been looking in vain for a Gauntlet edition of The Haunted Air. Ordered one from Amazon used, but they emailed me that it's not available after all. I know that neither Shocklines nor Gauntlet has any in stock.

Anyone out there have a duplicate you are willing to part with (sorry, with which you are willing to part).

Hey Biggles,

"The Haunted Air" is the only Gauntlet of Paul's that I don't have either. I've been searching for about six months for one myself. A copy was listed today on ABE if you're interested, it's a bit too pricey for me.

Here's a link:

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookDeta...=328103834
fpw   08-11-2004, 07:42 AM
Tim Hatch Wrote:"The Haunted Air" ... A copy was listed today on ABE if you're interested, it's a bit too pricey for me.

Yow. $125? Why is this one so hard to come by? Only reason I can think of is that copies were bought by people who aren't necessarily Jack fans. (The limited THA sold out faster than any of the others and the trade edition went into a third printing.) But who? Ghost story fans? Haunted house fans?

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
SteveBlack   08-11-2004, 07:16 PM
There was a Gauntlet Haunted Air on ABE for $35 yesterday (without slipcase) - http://www.abe.com

BTW - Barry at Gauntlet has slipcases which fit Conspiracies and All The Rage. I got both for $30 plus shipping - very nice too!!

cheers
Steve
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4