Pages (2):    1 2
law dawg   06-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Maggers Wrote:Agreed. I loved the first DEXTER book, the next 2 were good, but not as good as the first. The series, however, has just grown and grown. It has taken the ideas of the book to whole new places.

Just finished Season 2.

Oh. My. God.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Noelie   06-17-2008, 07:18 PM
law dawg Wrote:Just finished Season 2.

Oh. My. God.
It was incredible, wasn't it? :eek:

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
law dawg   06-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Noelie Wrote:It was incredible, wasn't it? :eek:

Oh yes.

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Maggers   06-17-2008, 10:58 PM
law dawg Wrote:Just finished Season 2.

Oh. My. God.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it, my friend. *shivers* Love that Dexter. Love him. How'd you like the psycho girlfriend? Woo hoo! *shivers again*

I think it's fabulous to watch the whole series at once, or nearly at once. Great big gulpfuls of Dexter, just yummy, in a bloody, twisted kind of way. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Noelie   06-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Maggers Wrote:Great big gulpfuls of Dexter, just yummy, in a bloody, twisted kind of way. Big Grin

Pulling... mind... from... gutter. Whew, that was a struggle.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
phoenix rising   06-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Noelie Wrote:Pulling... mind... from... gutter. Whew, that was a struggle.

You weren't alone, it was hard not to say what I was thinking......
Maggers   06-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Noelie Wrote:Pulling... mind... from... gutter. Whew, that was a struggle.

Oh my! I really didn't have that in mind....really....I didn't...really. Big Grin

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

phoenix rising   06-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Maggers Wrote:Oh my! I really didn't have that in mind....really....I didn't...really. Big Grin

It is okay, Dexter can't help how he looks Wink
Mick C.   08-12-2008, 11:50 PM
I've been watching the whole first season on DVD (while stuck in a hotel room this week), as the second season is coming out on DVD next week. I'd previously only seen the edited-for-NBC episodes on Sunday night, so it's nice to see the whole episodes. I may have to actually get SHOWTIME. It's one of the best shows on TV.

Something occured to me while watching:

With WATCHMEN coming out next year, there's been a lot of discussion of that graphic novel and the upcoming movie as one of the first post-modern looks at superheroes and what they would be like in reality. (Also examined by UNBREAKABLE and HANCOCK.) DEXTER, in a way, is a look at what a vigilante superhero, a la Batman or The Punisher, would be like in "real" life.

Consider the backstory (MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW)

A young boy orphaned by an act of criminal violence is adopted by a kindly police officer, who raises him to follow a strict code of honor and to fight evildoers that the law can't touch. His foster father teaches him everything he needs to know to carry on his fight against crime, and although working within the police department, he has to keep his secret identity hidden from his friends, his sister the police officer, and his girlfriend as he stalks criminals in the night. He even wears a sort of costume when he works.

In such broad terms, Dexter could be seen as one of many non-super-powered comic book heroes. What makes the show interesting and transgressive, is, of course, that Batman probably never stripped his victims naked and secured them to tables with saran wrap, nor did he take such pleasure in vivisecting them with power tools.

I'm not sure if the Lindsay (the novelist) or the team behind the TV series intended it that way, but it's kind of an interesting perspective on the American myth of the superhero.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Mick C.   08-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Okay, no one said anything in response but I still thought it was an interesting observation!!!:mad:

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Pages (2):    1 2