Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
Scott Miller   05-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Maggers Wrote:I agree with Webby. I get most of the titles mentioned here all mixed up because the titles all sound alike to me, I haven't seen most of them, and that's because I've no interest in these very mediocre, unremarkable, generally unfunny movies.

If you haven't seen them how can you say that about them. When I choose to watch a romantic comedy I know what I'm getting into prior to watching it. Nothing wrong with some innocuous fun.

Not very Navajo of you.:hand:

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Wapitikev   05-30-2008, 01:19 AM
The Upside of Anger is worth the 2 hours of your life that you will lose seeing it. I highly recommend it.

I like it almost as much as Lost In Translation and Love Actually. It is (definitely) not a straightforward love story.

-Wapitikev
Maggers   05-30-2008, 02:09 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:If you haven't seen them how can you say that about them.
I may have seen several of them but I can't tell them apart, one from the other, nor can I remember the plots. They seem to star Generic 2004 Actor #7 and Generic 2006 Actress #3, can't tell 'em apart.

Quote:When I choose to watch a romantic comedy I know what I'm getting into prior to watching it. Nothing wrong with some innocuous fun.
Yes, if you think you'll enjoy the movie, by all means watch it. I'm not knocking those movies for anyone else. I'm just not enamored of them.

I did enjoy "Dan in Real Life" which a lot of people knocked. The movie is pretty lame, but I'm nuts about Steve Correll. Love him.

Quote:Not very Navajo of you.:hand:
ROFL! I know! I aspire but do not succeed. I am simply a lowly native New Yorker.
This post was last modified: 05-30-2008, 02:12 AM by Maggers.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   05-30-2008, 02:10 AM
Wapitikev Wrote:The Upside of Anger is worth the 2 hours of your life that you will lose seeing it. I highly recommend it.

I like it almost as much as Lost In Translation and Love Actually. It is (definitely) not a straightforward love story.

-Wapitikev

I actually own "Lost in Translation," and I own very few films. Love it.

I did see "The Upside of Anger," and it was OK. I don't think I'd watch it again.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Aprilis   05-30-2008, 02:44 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:And The Princess Bride gets the big MEH from me; never understood its popularity.

All I can think of when anyone mentions 'the princess bride' is this crazy night auditor that used to call in for support and one night he tried to tell me the story of the princess bride line by line .. it would have taken him an hour to tell me the whole story. After about 5 min I interrupted him and asked if he had recently seen it? he said no. so then I knew he was nuts. And i dont think he was having an issue with his computer either I think he just called in to talk.

My favorite all time romantic comedy though is 'My Favorite Wife' with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne.

The world is full of idiots ... It's up to you to not be one of them.
Scott Miller   05-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Maggers Wrote:I may have seen several of them but I can't tell them apart, one from the other, nor can I remember the plots. They seem to star Generic 2004 Actor #7 and Generic 2006 Actress #3, can't tell 'em apart.

Sometimes a paint-by-the-numbers is just what the doctor ordered. I'm one of those people that feel anything can be done well, so why not a romantic comedy. I would agree that these types of movies are rarely my first choice, but I've been pleasantly surprised by some.

Maggers Wrote:I did enjoy "Dan in Real Life" which a lot of people knocked. The movie is pretty lame, but I'm nuts about Steve Correll. Love him.

I haven't seen it, I'm borderline on whether I like Carrell or not, but I have been enjoying listening to Sondra Lerche who is responsible for the soundtrack. Did it leave an impression on you? I have a couple of his other CD's and wonder if it worth picking up.

Maggers Wrote:ROFL! I know! I aspire but do not succeed. I am simply a lowly native New Yorker.

I believe that New York was once populated by Indians so you might go scouting for some sacred grounds to tap into that spiritual energy.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Noelie   05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Ooh, I forgot about Dan in Real Life. I adore Steve Carrell too, and that movie was a big hit with me.

I've probably seen So I Married an Axe Murderer at least thirty times (and no, that's not an exaggeration), and it still makes me laugh every single time.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Dave   05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
I love romantic comedies, they leave a nice taste in the mouth afterwards. Some great ones mentioned, I'll throw a few into the hat.

Hitch, if you like it Big Willy Style this is a terrific romantic comedy.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, a romantic comedy in reverse. The comedy is dark, the romance is blunt, but the cocktail is sweet heaven.

Stranger Than Fiction, a Spotless Mind wannabe, that only falls short by a smidge.

Wimbledon, a by the numbers Brit romcom (even including the obligatory American actress), but a sweet film.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith, yes, it IS a romantic comedy, with some action, NOT an action film, with some romantic comedy. And it's verbal wit is akin to the Grant/Hepburn classics of yesteryear.

Recently I enjoyed 27 Dresses (another by the numbers, but Heigl is a goddess) and Forgetting Sarah Marshall (a nice line in crude).

And I can't leave without mentioning Chasing Amy, not in the last 8 years, but a classic.

Dave
Tony H   05-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned but I love

"Under the Tuscan Sun"

The beautiful Italian countryside, the soundtrack and the wonderful love story that is not the main focus of the film.

If you haven't seen it it is definitely worth a look.

:dancing:

This emoticon has nothing to do with anything but I wanted to use it.

“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.”
Certified 100% Serious
jimbow8   05-30-2008, 07:26 PM
ImDeranged Wrote:Punch- Drunk Love- I've only seen it once when it came out but have been wanting to re-watch it. I remember really liking it.
I get SO harrassed for liking this movie. I own it (though it was given to me).

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5