RepairmanJack.com Forums
Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years (/thread-2882.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - Barry Lee Dejasu - 05-29-2008

2006's The Holiday is on right now. I love that movie; true, I would have cast someone else in Jack Black's role (but I appreciate his bold move in doing this movie), but I loved the movie. It gets so much flak...and is a strong reminder about how so many other great romantic comedies come out and get even worse responses than this one.

So, what are some movies from the past eight years that you really like but seem to get universal flak, and really deserve to be better-remembered?

Here are a few for me. Raising a critical eyebrow at any of them? Good! That's the point - what do YOU think is a criminally underrated romantic comedy from the past eight years??
  • Love Actually. Even though it seems pretty well-liked by those who have seen it, it deserves more fame and respect. The plot, the dialogue, the characters, and most of all, the actresses and actors - brilliant.
  • Lost in Translation. Okay, so it's not really a romantic comedy, per se, but it is funny, and it is romantic...and what an amazingly different movie it is.
  • The Last Holiday. You bet I think this underrated! Queen Latifah is charming and funny, and Gerard Depardieu is just magnetic (not to mention their scenes together in the movie are better than the "official" romance between her character and that of LL Cool J). And so it's a remake - this is an example of when remakes can be good.
  • The Jane Austen Book Club. Such a great cast, and a nice, charming movie.
  • Something New. There still aren't a whole lot of movies that address inter-racial romance, and to have one that does it in a fun, tasteful manner like this (especially with such magnetic stars as here) is a real treat.
  • Elizabethtown. Wow, what a great movie! Orlando Bloom is such a great star, and this movie really showcases his qualities. I've always been a fan of Kirsten Dunst, but she really shines here. It's such a funny, sweet, charming, fresh film.
  • Imagine Me & You. (I do.) A very cute, very charming little film that came and went and had something fresh and nice to say, and especially with its two romantic leading actresses. I also love the lack of the title at the beginning of the movie, and any sign of a certain song until a crucial scene. Another overlooked treat!
...well? If a 25-year-old (well, 26 next Wednesday) male who loves horror fiction and listens to heavy metal can talk about seven romantic comedies (so-called "chick flicks" - how I despise that term), I think a few of you can spill some of your own thoughts on other "romantic comedies" that deserve more/better credit!

Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - Kenji - 05-29-2008

Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:2006's The Holiday is on right now. I love that movie; true, I would have cast someone else in Jack Black's role (but I appreciate his bold move in doing this movie), but I loved the movie. It gets so much flak...and is a strong reminder about how so many other great romantic comedies come out and get even worse responses than this one.

So, what are some movies from the past eight years that you really like but seem to get universal flak, and really deserve to be better-remembered?

Here are a few for me. Raising a critical eyebrow at any of them? Good! That's the point - what do YOU think is a criminally underrated romantic comedy from the past eight years??
  • Love Actually. Even though it seems pretty well-liked by those who have seen it, it deserves more fame and respect. The plot, the dialogue, the characters, and most of all, the actresses and actors - brilliant.
  • Lost in Translation. Okay, so it's not really a romantic comedy, per se, but it is funny, and it is romantic...and what an amazingly different movie it is.
  • The Last Holiday. You bet I think this underrated! Queen Latifah is charming and funny, and Gerard Depardieu is just magnetic (not to mention their scenes together in the movie are better than the "official" romance between her character and that of LL Cool J). And so it's a remake - this is an example of when remakes can be good.
  • The Jane Austen Book Club. Such a great cast, and a nice, charming movie.
  • Something New. There still aren't a whole lot of movies that address inter-racial romance, and to have one that does it in a fun, tasteful manner like this (especially with such magnetic stars as here) is a real treat.
  • Elizabethtown. Wow, what a great movie! Orlando Bloom is such a great star, and this movie really showcases his qualities. I've always been a fan of Kirsten Dunst, but she really shines here. It's such a funny, sweet, charming, fresh film.
  • Imagine Me & You. (I do.) A very cute, very charming little film that came and went and had something fresh and nice to say, and especially with its two romantic leading actresses. I also love the lack of the title at the beginning of the movie, and any sign of a certain song until a crucial scene. Another overlooked treat!
...well? If a 25-year-old (well, 26 next Wednesday) male who loves horror fiction and listens to heavy metal can talk about seven romantic comedies (so-called "chick flicks" - how I despise that term), I think a few of you can spill some of your own thoughts on other "romantic comedies" that deserve more/better credit!

I liked "Elizabethtown". Recent my favorite romantic comedy is "Enchanted".

I also like "The Devil Wears Prada", "Kate & Leopold", "My Super Ex-Girlfriend".

Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - Scott Miller - 05-29-2008

I'll think more on it later, but for sure Danny Deckchair deserves to be on any criminally underrated list regardless of genre(although in the case it is a romantic comedy).

Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - Noelie - 05-29-2008

The Holiday and Love Actually are two of my very favorite movies. I actually adored Jack Black's character in The Holiday and thought he was perfect playing opposite Kate Winslet. Love Actually won my heart because of it being about all kinds of love, not just the romantic kind.

I have a few friends who think that Orlando Bloom can't act his way out of a paper bag, and I always tell them to watch Elizabethtown.

Catch and Release is an incredibly sweet and touching movie with a good share of laughs.

And the ultimate underrated romantic comedy for me is Keeping the Faith. I don't know anyone but me and my brother who have even seen it, but I just love it. I'm a huge Edward Norton fan anyway and seeing him do comedy is just a treat.

Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - fpw - 05-29-2008

[SIZE="3"]I don't see Love Actually as underrated, but Last Holiday certainly is. It's a sweet, sweet film, and Latifa, always engaging, is a delight here.[/SIZE]

Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - Scott Miller - 05-29-2008

Noelie Wrote:And the ultimate underrated romantic comedy for me is [i]Keeping the Faith. I don't know anyone but me and my brother who have even seen it, but I just love it. I'm a huge Edward Norton fan anyway and seeing him do comedy is just a treat.

You are not alone, both my wife and I loved it.

I wouldn't consider some of my list underrated, but ignored.

50 FIRST DATES
NEVER BEEN KISSED
HOW TO LOSE A GUY IN 10 DAYS
FORCES OF NATURE
KISSING JESSICA STEIN
THE MATCHMAKER
HAPPY ACCIDENTS
HAPPY, TEXAS
AMY'S ORGASM
THE HEARTBREAK KID
SERENDIPITY

and finally the one that I don't know of anyone else who has seen, DREAM FOR AN INSOMNIAC.

What about the best romantic comedy of all time? Off the top of my head I say WHEN HARRY MET SALLY.

Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - Libby - 05-29-2008

I like:
The Truth About Cats and Dogs
Moulin Rouge(not a comedy)
Wedding Crashers
Nine Months
Casanova
Benny&Joon
In and Out
Dave
Wedding Singer
Big Trouble
A Walk in the Clouds
Two Weeks Notice
Miss Congeniallity(1&2)
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants(the book was better, though)
Most disney movies....Big Grin
Plus alot of the one mentioned previously

I know alot of these are not within the past 8 years...Big Grin And most of these movies are aimed at teenage girls, so I know alot of them....Big Grin

Criminally Underrated Romantic Comedies of the Past 8 Years - NickelobLight - 05-29-2008

Shawn of the Dead.

Before you scoff, think about it. You take out the zombies, and what do you have? That's right, a romantic comedy, albeit a British romantic comedy, (not that that's a bad thing by any means)

Seriously though, Shawn of the Dead is one of the most criminally underrated movies of the last 8 years, regardless of genre. I watch it at least once a month, and still laugh at every stupid gag every single time. God what a good movie. One of my favorite parts, (not exactly verbatim):

"Blast, the police are jammed."
"Call an ambulance."
"They're jammed."
"How about a firetruck?"
"Ed, they're all the same number! And what do you want a firetruck for, anyway?"
"Something with flashing lights!"

Oh, and while Hot Fuzz was good, Shawn of the Dead blows it out of the water.

Libby Wrote:I like:
The Truth About Cats and Dogs
Dave

Good ones. I'll also toss in So I Married An Axe Murderer.

NickelobLight Wrote:Shawn of the Dead.

It was actually on a couple of the lists I looked at to create mine reply. And if it's one I'll say Idle Hands deserves a mention as well.