Pages (22):    1 8 9 10 11 12 22   
Maggers   05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:Okay, here's something I noticed about the last episode... The beeping from the smoke detector is from a dying battery, so you'd be quick to assume that Christian Shephard isn't the smoke monster. But, Christian doesn't appear until Jack takes the battery out. Could it have been waiting for the opportunity to manifest itself? I say 'waiting' because early in the episode, when Jack is reading to Aaron, there is a shot of the headboard of Aaron's bed and what looks to be a smoke detector attached to it. If you go back and look for it it's fairly obvious. Are Jack and Kate trying to protect Aaron from the Island? Just wanted to point these things out.

In an earlier post, Cobalt made the connection between the beeping smoke alarm and the smoke monster.

As far as a smoke alarm being in the bedroom of the baby, well, the connection could be there, but smoke alarms are the law where I live. I'd be surprised to see a home without them.

But in film, whatever appears in the scene, the mis-en-scene, I think it's called, is important. Nothing appears in the camera frame by accident. So if a smoke alarm is prominent, then you and Cobalt are probably on to something.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

bones weep tedium   05-06-2008, 11:06 AM
AlvinFox Wrote:Okay, here's something I noticed about the last episode... The beeping from the smoke detector is from a dying battery, so you'd be quick to assume that Christian Shephard isn't the smoke monster. But, Christian doesn't appear until Jack takes the battery out. Could it have been waiting for the opportunity to manifest itself? I say 'waiting' because early in the episode, when Jack is reading to Aaron, there is a shot of the headboard of Aaron's bed and what looks to be a smoke detector attached to it. If you go back and look for it it's fairly obvious. Are Jack and Kate trying to protect Aaron from the Island? Just wanted to point these things out.

Smoke detectors work becasue there are two small contacts that have a stream of alpha radiation flowing between them. Alpha radiation has very weak penetration abilities, and so anything between these two contacts - even something as thin as smoke - will interrupt the circuit and sound the alarm.

Obviously this makes smoke detectors very useful for detecting clouds of billowing smoke --- but how effective would it be against a sentient cloud of whatever the hell it is? We know the smoke monster is a focused entity, so would it not be able to just avoid the smoke detector altogether?

I don't think it would have to hide from the smoke detector. I think that the beeps were supposed to sound like the button in the bunker, and the dying smoke detector was a device to draw Jack out of his office and provide a transition into the sppoky pat of the scene.

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Maggers   05-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I forgot to bring this up earlier regarding last week's episode. In the future, what happened to hairy Jack? He's got a nice hairy chest on the Island, but winds up chest hair free in the future with Kate. What's up with that?

I asked this earlier but no one answered. So, again, was anyone able to see the small tatoo on Jack's back? It's new and just above where a scar should be from where Kate sewed him up right after the crash.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Maggers   05-08-2008, 09:28 PM
In the latest podcast, the authors have promised that we will know without a doubt who is in that damn casket by the end of the season finale.

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

ccosborne3   05-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Grey's anatomy sucks. When they gonna roll the pop-up repeats? They be quality television programming.
Maggers   05-08-2008, 10:06 PM
ccosborne3 Wrote:Grey's anatomy sucks. When they gonna roll the pop-up repeats? They be quality television programming.
You are so right. I'm balancing my checkbook that's how bored I am with TV at this moment.

CC, do you have any thoughts on the hairlessness of Jack's future chest? (See my previous post.)

Reading is freedom.
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

ccosborne3   05-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Maggers Wrote:Woo hoo! I'm always up for seeing more of Richard Albert, and his eyeliner.Big Grin

He was in a stinker called Smokin' Aces and had that stuff all over his face.

I think it's a tattoo.
ccosborne3   05-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Maggers Wrote:I forgot to bring this up earlier regarding last week's episode. In the future, what happened to hairy Jack? He's got a nice hairy chest on the Island, but winds up chest hair free in the future with Kate. What's up with that?

I asked this earlier but no one answered. So, again, was anyone able to see the small tatoo on Jack's back? It's new and just above where a scar should be from where Kate sewed him up right after the crash.

Never noticed any of that stuff. I'm a superficial viewer nowadays. I love the show and will watch it to the end but I'm done trying to figure things out or looking for hidden meaning. I watch the show for the shock moments. Like Arzt exploding or Ana Lucia and Libby getting whacked by Michael. Or Ben summoning up the smoke monster. I also watch the show for the brutality. Russo and Carl's barely covered corpses were tough to look at. Like they were screaming through the dirt. I'm surprised they got away with that from the censors. It's not the mysteries that keep people viewing. It's the surprises.

The writers, though very creative, are dealing from a stacked deck.
jimbow8   05-09-2008, 12:31 AM
O - M - G !

So, is Richard Alpert Locke's father? I certainly got that impression.

Was Richard testing young Locke to see if Locke was "unstuck in time" at that particular moment?

Christian said that Aaron "is where he's supposed to be." Is Aaron supposed to be raised by Sawyer? :confused:

"Move the island" - on first reaction = LAME! I hope I'm wrong.

That is all for right now.
This post was last modified: 05-09-2008, 12:34 AM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
jimbow8   05-09-2008, 12:38 AM
Majorly creepy weird .......

Was just rewatching the end and coincidentally hit pause on my VCR at the perfect time: In the preview for next week, when the cargo door (on the ship?*) is opened, it you pause or super slow-mo it, it looks like a pair of eyes opening in the darkness.:eek6:

*actually it looks more like the cargo door on a transport plane back to the mainland with media waiting to greet them
This post was last modified: 05-09-2008, 12:42 AM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (22):    1 8 9 10 11 12 22