Pages (9):    1 3 4 5 6 7 9   
Belasco   04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Been lurking for a while... thought I'd chime in.

I love Guillermo's stuff, but I don't want ANYTHING else distracting him from doing "At the Mountains of Madness" - not even the Jack project.

As far as being able to direct action and character, I'm leaning toward John McTiernan (Die Hard, Predator, Hunt for Red October).

I wonder how much is going to be able to be spent on a director though. If the studio wants a "big name" for Jack, the budget may prevent hiring a higher-profile director. Frankly, I'd rather see the opposite - a relative unknown playing the invisible-in-plain-sight Jack with a more recognizable director.
Wapitikev   04-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Belasco Wrote:Been lurking for a while... thought I'd chime in.

I love Guillermo's stuff, but I don't want ANYTHING else distracting him from doing "At the Mountains of Madness" - not even the Jack project.

As far as being able to direct action and character, I'm leaning toward John McTiernan (Die Hard, Predator, Hunt for Red October).

I wonder how much is going to be able to be spent on a director though. If the studio wants a "big name" for Jack, the budget may prevent hiring a higher-profile director. Frankly, I'd rather see the opposite - a relative unknown playing the invisible-in-plain-sight Jack with a more recognizable director.

SPOILER!!!!!

Err...Jack was announced last year as Ryan Reynolds. He's relatively unknown compared to guys like Gerard Butler and Colin Ferrel. So the Director's seat is probably wide open.

Has McTiernan ever worked for Beacon Communications before? [checking IMDB]

He hasn't directed any horror since Nomads which he also wrote. It wasn't completely awful, if memory serves. It looks like he's pretty busy over the next 2 years...Run with Thomas Jane looks interesting...maybe he could squeeze Jack in there somewhere.

Welcome to the Board, Belasco. I'm sure you'll have fun here.

-Wapitikev

...is your Board-name taken from X-continuity?

Axioms Jack seems to live by (inadvertantly or not):

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Belasco   04-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:SPOILER!!!!!

Err...Jack was announced last year as Ryan Reynolds. He's relatively unknown compared to guys like Gerard Butler and Colin Ferrel. So the Director's seat is probably wide open.

Has McTiernan ever worked for Beacon Communications before? [checking IMDB]

He hasn't directed any horror since Nomads which he also wrote. It wasn't completely awful, if memory serves. It looks like he's pretty busy over the next 2 years...Run with Thomas Jane looks interesting...maybe he could squeeze Jack in there somewhere.

Welcome to the Board, Belasco. I'm sure you'll have fun here.

-Wapitikev

...is your Board-name taken from X-continuity?

Jesus, I'm behind... I hadn't heard about Reynolds. Not what I expected, but I'll take it - there are far worse choices. He's not a bad actor, but at this point nearly anyone with a career is too recognizable in my opinion. I mean, don't actors become so because they stand-out on stage and screen?

Actually, my board name is a horror reference. I'm a big Richard Matheson fan and the main villain in his novel "Hell House" is Belasco.
Wapitikev   04-12-2008, 03:50 AM
Belasco Wrote:Actually, my board name is a horror reference. I'm a big Richard Matheson fan and the main villain in his novel "Hell House" is Belasco.

Speaking of Matheson, what is your opinion on the movie Gothica...should Matheson have received a writing credit or not? IMO it is a pretty blatant lift from/homage to A Stir of Echoes.

As far as being behind goes, ain't no thing...the title post in this thread summarizes all the facts that we know so far about the RJ1 movie.

-Wapitikev
This post was last modified: 04-12-2008, 03:55 AM by Wapitikev.

Why he does what he does: "I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either." Bruce Wayne, Identity Crisis

On Rasalom: "Water's wet, the sky is blue...and good old Satan Claus, Jimmy...he's out there...and he's just gettin' stronger." Joe Hallenbeck, The Last Boyscout
Kenji   04-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Belasco Wrote:Actually, my board name is a horror reference. I'm a big Richard Matheson fan and the main villain in his novel "Hell House" is Belasco.

Oh, I knew it! Big Grin

Welcome to the board, Belasco.

btw, I'm also big Richard Matheson fan.
Belasco   04-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Wapitikev Wrote:Speaking of Matheson, what is your opinion on the movie Gothica...should Matheson have received a writing credit or not? IMO it is a pretty blatant lift from/homage to A Stir of Echoes.

As far as being behind goes, ain't no thing...the title post in this thread summarizes all the facts that we know so far about the RJ1 movie.

-Wapitikev

To be honest, I never bothered to see Gothica. It doesn't surprise me though. If Hollywood were forced to be original we would probably have 90% fewer movies per year.
Barry Lee Dejasu   04-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Belasco Wrote:I love Guillermo's stuff, but I don't want ANYTHING else distracting him from doing "At the Mountains of Madness" - not even the Jack project.

I wholeheartedly second that. Any time I hear Mr. del Toro has signed on for, is interested in, or otherwise being so much as MENTIONED alongside another movie, I basically say something along the lines of, "NOOOO!! Mountains next, da®nit!!"

But, if he does end up doing this (one can hope...), The Hobbit, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Tarzan, Frankenstein, or anything else, that's okay, because he's one of the best directors currently working, as far as I'm concerned.

"...and your last thought is that you have become a noise...a thin, nameless noise among all these others...howling in the empty dark room"
--Ulver, "Nowhere/Catastrophe"
[Image: geomorfos.jpg]
Wapitikev   04-17-2008, 01:19 AM
Apologies if this is already well known...

It seems that we may have dodged a bullet back in 2004.

Douglas Aarniokoski was reported by Cinescape to be the Director for RJ1.

You may remember DA as the director of the blockbuster Wink Highlander Endgame, back in 2000.

I never saw it but it gets a whopping 4.3 out of 10 on IMDB.

Yikes.

-Wapitikev
This post was last modified: 04-17-2008, 01:55 AM by Wapitikev.

Wapitikev   08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
To summarize, in a completely biased way, what has gone before, the favourite directors are:

Peter Jackson
Guilermo del Toro
Alex Proyas (The Crow, Dark City)
Peter Hyams (Relic, End of Days, Musketeer)
Marc Forster (Quantum of Solace, Monster's Ball)

...but what I'm insterested in is, of the successful movies that came out this year, who would you like to see direct RJ1 (and "anyone" is not a valid answer).

My list includes:

Jon Favreau (Iron Man) and would also be good as Abe in about 5 years.
Chris Nolan (Dark Knight)
Marc Forster (Quantum of Solace)
Peter Berg (Hancock, Virtuality for TV)

Peter Berg is, perhaps the most itriguing of the four, with scheduled projects in 2010 like Bran Mak Morn and Dune and, reportedly, a Hercules movie.

Of this year's crop of Directors, who would you like to see?

-Wapitikev
This post was last modified: 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM by Wapitikev.

Kenji   08-06-2008, 09:57 AM
I wish...

Repairman Jack I: Claws of the Rakoshi by John McTiernan

Peter Jackson is good for "Nightworld", and Guilermo del Toro is perfect to "The Keep".
Pages (9):    1 3 4 5 6 7 9