Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5   
Repairman Reynolds: To Beard or Not To Beard?Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
To Beard
10 (34.48%)
Not to Beard
19 (65.52%)
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
bones weep tedium   02-12-2008, 11:36 AM
This is something that Sorrel and I have often pondered. Although Jack does not have a beard, I cannot picture Ryan Reynolds without one. RR in Van Wilder and in the trailer for some romance movie that's on the TV at the moment, both Sorrel and I are struck by how awkward and goofy he looks without his beard:

[Image: ryan-reynolds-1.jpg]

[Image: RyanReynol_Ausse_415462_400.jpg]

Ryan Reynolds seems to get to keep the beard for more serious roles. In Smokin' Aces, Amityville Horror, and Blade he looks really good with a beard. It seems to me that he looks much more handsome with a beard, it gives him a certain manliness, and it emphasises his eyes (which seem to be very close together whenever you seem him sans fluffWink)

[Image: flip-f.jpg]

[Image: SPX-003896.jpg]

The only problem that I can think of with Ryan Reynolds keeping his beard would be that Repairman Jack's greatest weapon is his anonymity; having a full thick beard is an obvious VDM (visually distinguishing mark) that RJ would naturally avoid (doesn't he even mention this in one of the books? Or am I thinking of Andy McNab's character Nick Stone . . . ?)

I remember that Sorrel and I watched Smokin Aces around about the same time that RR was announced as being RJ, and we both agreed he'd be excellent. But then we saw him without his beard, and we got a little jittery . . . he looks like a goofy kid witout his beard.

And I for one want to see a Repairman Jack movie, not a Repair-goofy-kid Jack movie! :p

[Image: ryanreynolds.jpg]

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
Ken Valentine   02-12-2008, 11:49 AM
bones weep tedium Wrote:This is something that Sorrel and I have often pondered. Although Jack does not have a beard, I cannot picture Ryan Reynolds without one. RR in Van Wilder and in the trailer for some romance movie that's on the TV at the moment, both Sorrel and I are struck by how awkward and goofy he looks without his beard:

A beard makes a man look older. If you're young and want to look older -- (or if you don't have a chin) grow a beard. If you're old and want to look younger -- shave it off.

Ken V.
Noelie   02-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Well. He does look goofy without the beard, but beyond that, he is smokin' hot with it. It's the difference between, "Gee, I don't know officer, he was tall and had brown hair," and "Well, officer it was this smooookin hot guy with a full beard." Of course, I know that's a matter of perspective, but that's my perspective after being greeted by those pictures. :p

Honest response: I don't know. It really is a dilemma because he does look much more serious and much more dangerous with the beard than without.

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
phoenix rising   02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Noelie Wrote:Well. He does look goofy without the beard, but beyond that, he is smokin' hot with it. It's the difference between, "Gee, I don't know officer, he was tall and had brown hair," and "Well, officer it was this smooookin hot guy with a full beard." Of course, I know that's a matter of perspective, but that's my perspective after being greeted by those pictures. :p

Honest response: I don't know. It really is a dilemma because he does look much more serious and much more dangerous with the beard than without.

I'll drink to that!!!!!!
cobalt   02-12-2008, 05:33 PM
The pic without the beard makes him look so young. The beard adds that "hot" factor to his looks. Once we see how well he portrays Jack, I'll bet we will forever be thinking of Ryan's face.
This post was last modified: 02-12-2008, 10:39 PM by cobalt.

EWMAN
phoenix rising   02-12-2008, 06:34 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:The pic without the beard makes him look so young. The bears adds that "hot" factor to his looks. Once we see how well he portrays Jack, I'll bet we will forever be thinking of Ryan's face.

Big GrinUnless they get in a gratuitus butt shot.........
bones weep tedium   02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
That's a very intersting point, phoenix. . . .

Hairy Bum or Smooth Bum??? :p

I accidentally dropped a load of worthless change in the street. I was going to just leave it there but a burly policeman lumbered towards me and said, "You'd better pick that up, son."

I hate coppers.

[Image: smile-test.gif]"DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH.
LIBERTY IS A WELL-ARMED LAMB CONTESTING THE VOTE."
phoenix rising   02-12-2008, 08:57 PM
bones weep tedium Wrote:That's a very intersting point, phoenix. . . .

Hairy Bum or Smooth Bum??? :p

Smooth or slightly fuzzy no dead animals attatched to them cheeks please!!
jimbow8   02-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Noelie Wrote:Well. He does look goofy without the beard, but beyond that, he is smokin' hot with it. It's the difference between, "Gee, I don't know officer, he was tall and had brown hair," and "Well, officer it was this smooookin hot guy with a full beard." Of course, I know that's a matter of perspective, but that's my perspective after being greeted by those pictures. :p

I am pretty sure that is EXACTLY what Jack would try to avoid.

Officer: "Did you see who started shooting people on the subway?"

Female Passenger: "No, officer, but the guy who saved everyone was SOOO gorgeous. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I can describe him down to the last detail. Definitely!"

.... and did anyone else, upon answering the poll, get sent to a completely different thread?
This post was last modified: 02-12-2008, 10:15 PM by jimbow8.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ashrael   02-12-2008, 10:34 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Officer: "Did you see who started shooting people on the subway?"

Female Passenger: "No, officer, but the guy who saved everyone was SOOO gorgeous. I couldn't take my eyes off of him. I can describe him down to the last detail. Definitely!"

There are books, and there's Hollywood. In books, the hero can be ugly, short, fat, plain or whatever the author needs or wants him to be. In Hollywood, heroes are chosen for looks. Acting ability sometimes factors in, as well. Marketability certainly gets considered, but looks are part of that. They are, after all, the packaging.

Besides, without the beard, it'd be too much like 'Doogie Howser, Private Eye'.

[SIZE="1"]Louis Armstrong: First trumpet player to set foot on the moon.
Martin Luther: Leader of the Protestant Reformation and icon for the American civil rights movement.
David Bowie: Rock star, inventor of the Bowie knife, faked his death at the Alamo to go on tour as Ziggy Stardust.

Don't believe me? Ask any kid who attends public schools.[/SIZE]
Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5