Pages (3):    1 2 3
law dawg   11-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:It's his own work, he can do anything he pleases with it. But to take someone else's work and change it, twist it, modify it, is something else entirely. That's what Michael Mann did with THE KEEP, and you know what a mess that turned out to be.

Ken V.
True, but I also liked the altered Last of the Mohicans movie better than the book, which was inscrutable to me. Wink

It's an 88 magnum. It shoots through schools.
Maggers   11-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:...
The Bourne Identity was written in 1980, why not leave where it was?

Ken V.

I think with spy stories such as the Bourne Identity movies (I've only seen the Matt Damon series which I like alot) it makes sense to keep them current, as the technology place such a big part in the stories. Nothing ages a film as much as recently outdated technology. In fact, I'm watching the first Bourne movie tonight, and the old computer monitors look like dinosaurs. The movie came out in 2002, a scant 5 years ago.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Ken Valentine   11-11-2007, 01:29 AM
law dawg Wrote:True, but I also liked the altered Last of the Mohicans movie better than the book, which was inscrutable to me. Wink

It wasn't the easiest book in the world to read, but it was a good story. As I've said before somewhere on this board, it's the oldest novel I've ever read where fictional characters were inserted into an actual historical event. Fortunately, the movie was pretty accurate in that regard as well. (The seige of Fort William Henry, General Webb claiming that the French do not have the nature for war and refusing to send reinforcements to Colonel Monro, the surrender to Montcalm, and the massacre by the indians while the troops were marching to Fort Edward. What isn't mentioned is that General Webb was sent back to England in disgrace.)

Although the sisters were reversed, and the way Cora died was completely different, the movie definitely captured the essence of the novel, and If I remember correctly, the screen play was written in 1928.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   11-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Maggers Wrote:I think with spy stories such as the Bourne Identity movies (I've only seen the Matt Damon series which I like alot) it makes sense to keep them current, as the technology place such a big part in the stories. Nothing ages a film as much as recently outdated technology. In fact, I'm watching the first Bourne movie tonight, and the old computer monitors look like dinosaurs. The movie came out in 2002, a scant 5 years ago.

Technology played no part in the novel, and in the original mini-series there was no technology either. Oh, there were automobiles and firearms, but that was about all.

Ken V.

P.S. There were also telephones and television . . . and a train station.
Kenji   11-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Technology played no part in the novel, and in the original mini-series there was no technology either. Oh, there were automobiles and firearms, but that was about all.

Ken V.

P.S. There were also telephones and television . . . and a train station.

Telephones and train station....they are indispensable for spy movies. Smile
This post was last modified: 11-11-2007, 03:35 AM by Kenji.
Pages (3):    1 2 3