Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
catman9   07-15-2004, 12:03 AM
Hi - I'm new here. But I've recently read all of the Jack material I could get my hands on (including Crisscross, Freakshow and Barrens) and have read the first 4 adversary books. I have Reprisal and Nightworld, but should I read them? If they will be re-written with Jack playing a much more important role (which is certainly implied by a little old lady with a dog in a retirement community in Florida) maybe I should wait. Love to hear the advise as part of me wants to dive into the books ASAP!!
Biggles   07-15-2004, 12:09 AM
catman9 Wrote:Hi - I'm new here. But I've recently read all of the Jack material I could get my hands on (including Crisscross, Freakshow and Barrens) and have read the first 4 adversary books. I have Reprisal and Nightworld, but should I read them? If they will be re-written with Jack playing a much more important role (which is certainly implied by a little old lady with a dog in a retirement community in Florida) maybe I should wait. Love to hear the advise as part of me wants to dive into the books ASAP!!

Go ahead and read them! Then you can read the new versions later. As I always say: "Anything worth doing is worth doing in excess". (It may be that I combined two proverbs, but, hey, it works for me).

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
jimbow8   07-15-2004, 12:34 AM
I would have to vote for reading Reprisal and Nightworld now, also. Then read the updates when they come out. As I have said before, I am so glad I read The Tomb before the rest of the RJ books existed. Not that it necessarily has any bearing on whether you should read Reprisal and Nightworld, but, hey, you never know.

Welcome to the Board,

Jim

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
fpw   07-15-2004, 08:02 AM
catman9 Wrote:I have Reprisal and Nightworld, but should I read them? If they will be re-written with Jack playing a much more important role (which is certainly implied by a little old lady with a dog in a retirement community in Florida) maybe I should wait. Love to hear the advise as part of me wants to dive into the books ASAP!!

Catman: Jack will have no part in Reprisal, so read it. (Just remember that cell phones weren't in everyone's pocket when it was written.) But once you finish that you'll want to move on to Nightworld. Go ahead. I'm not going to change the storyline much. The only major change is that Jack won't have a Otherness learning curve. The minor things will be like, say, when he spots his first chew wasp, he'll recognize it, etc.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
jimbow8   07-15-2004, 09:39 AM
fpw Wrote:(Just remember that cell phones weren't in everyone's pocket when it was written.)
Have you figured out how you are going to address that issue? Not that you have to tell us how, just if you've figured it out. Smile That is still one of the eeriest things I've ever read. Thanks.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Ken Valentine   07-15-2004, 10:27 AM
jimbow8 Wrote:Have you figured out how you are going to address that issue? Not that you have to tell us how, just if you've figured it out. Smile That is still one of the eeriest things I've ever read. Thanks.

As speculation, how about if Rafe CAN use cell phones, but doesn't because he wants to draw out Will's agony, rather than drive him completely over the edge? So Will gets an endless ring only if he actually touches one.

Your turn.

Ken V.
Ken Valentine   07-15-2004, 10:31 AM
catman9 Wrote:Hi - I'm new here. But I've recently read all of the Jack material I could get my hands on (including Crisscross, Freakshow and Barrens) and have read the first 4 adversary books. I have Reprisal and Nightworld, but should I read them? If they will be re-written with Jack playing a much more important role (which is certainly implied by a little old lady with a dog in a retirement community in Florida) maybe I should wait. Love to hear the advise as part of me wants to dive into the books ASAP!!

Welcome to the board Catman9!

I agree with the others, read them.
And when the new ones come out, read them too!

Ken V.
Scott Miller   07-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:As speculation, how about if Rafe CAN use cell phones, but doesn't because he wants to draw out Will's agony, rather than drive him completely over the edge? So Will gets an endless ring only if he actually touches one.

Your turn.

Ken V.

Not bad, but he doesn't actually touch the phones that ring throughout Reprisal. I say he can only affect landlines.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Ken Valentine   07-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Not bad, but he doesn't actually touch the phones that ring throughout Reprisal.

I know, but Rasalom knows when he is close to one. The same could be true of cell phones.

Quote: I say he can only affect landlines.

Scott

I thought of that one too, and I like it. But there is something buzzing around in the back of my mind that says he CAN affect the ether -- I just can't remember where I read it . . . or if I read it.

Maybe it's this: Rasalom doesn't affect the land lines through electrical means, or by physically dialing a number and playing a recording. If he can do what he does without physical contact, then why can't he do it to cell phones. My answer is; he doesn't want to.

My answer isn't the only answer of course.

What do you think?

Ken V.
Scott Miller   07-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:What do you think?

As a rule I try not to and most will tell you I'm pretty successful.

Ken Valentine Wrote:Maybe it's this: Rasalom doesn't affect the land lines through electrical means, or by physically dialing a number and playing a recording. If he can do what he does without physical contact, then why can't he do it to cell phones. My answer is; he doesn't want to.

I get the sense that Rasalom doesn't expend the energy to cause the phones to ring each time Bill nears one, but rather has put some type of auto-spell/hex/curse that is tripped whenever Bill is in close proximity to a phone. This coupled with Rasalom drawing his power from the earth in Nightworld, leads me to conclude that it is a simple matter for Rasalom to tamper with the land lines due to their location.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4