Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5   
RichE   07-05-2007, 03:03 PM
My wife calls it a "Male Thing"-the getting off of repeated watching of The Three Stooges or The Bowery Boys-but I stand tall and proud as a lover of Low Brow Cinema.
Name your favorite films and tell of your wives/husbands/families/friends reactions!
Noelie   07-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't know if this counts, but I have family members that roll their eyes at my repeated watching of Anchorman - The Legend of Ron Burgundy and Dodgeball. Those seem pretty low brow to me, but I love them. Big Grin

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Auskar   07-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Animal House
Porky's (the orginal movie).
Lisa   07-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I like bad horror movies. Such as Pinata, a movie about a killer pinata.

I wouldn't consider Porky's and Anchorman lowbrow. Mon dieu! They are comic genius!
APhew   07-05-2007, 06:57 PM
It used to be "Evil Dead 2" long ago when it wasn't considered a pop-horror cinematic icon (and before Army of Darkness came out). A lot of my favorite "low-brow" movies are horror flicks. Now a lot of the directors of those films have gone on to become respectable and completely ruined what used to be considered obscure little films by making them popular.

My favorite film, horror or otherwise, is John Carpenters "The Thing". I do get a lot of flack for that. People start listing movies with SO much more cinematic resonance: "Silence of the Lambs", "Psycho", etc... Nah, I'll take people trapped at an antarctic station trying to survive an invasion that takes over their own with a hell of a downer ending anyday.

"Super Troopers" is probably my favorite comedy and that's pretty low-brow.

"Hard Boiled" would probably be my action favorite.

As for low-budget films I enjoyed but probably most other people would scoff at: "Soulkeeper", "Dead and Breakfast", "The Hazing", and more recently "Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon". These are more horror/comedy's.
fpw   07-05-2007, 09:25 PM
[SIZE="3"]Maniac Cop 3. Knuckle-dragging lowbrow, but very cool. (Dood, I even have it on laserdisc.)[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Kenji   07-06-2007, 08:22 AM
"Weekend at Bernie's"--Poor corpse...I couldn't stop laughing!

"Serial Mom"-- Kathleen Turner's insane serial killer! I couldn't stop laughing!

Yeah, I like laughing.Big Grin
phoenix rising   07-06-2007, 12:48 PM
hmmmm low brow.... my hubby knows not why I love Rocky Horror Picture Show, he thinks it is utterly stupid, but then he also doesn't get why I love Pink Floyd The Wall either....... Of course he is also the one who refuses to do classic films, (I love Arsenic and Old Lace)
Biggles   07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
RichE Wrote:My wife calls it a "Male Thing"-the getting off of repeated watching of The Three Stooges or The Bowery Boys-but I stand tall and proud as a lover of Low Brow Cinema.
Name your favorite films and tell of your wives/husbands/families/friends reactions!

I like "low brow comedy" (in quotes because I dispute that label), while WOB thinks I have no sense of humor. I think the following movies are comedy classics:

Airplane!,
Hot Shots!,
Hot Shots! Part Deux,
all the Naked Gun movies (OJ Simpson is a comedy God! So tragic he was framed for his wife's death (cue the laughter here) Rolleyes),
Young Frankenstein,
Blazing Saddles,
The Producers,
Jane Austen's Mafia! an Eskimo hit man? Big Grin ,
Top Secret!.

The list goes on. Why anyone who watches anything on Lifetime, E!, WE, Oxygen, etc. should question my taste is beyond me.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
webby   07-06-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't try to be snobby, but the typical "low-brow" comedy is just not funny to me. I will, however, get completely caught up in some pretty lame "low-brow" action movies. Among my faves:

Demolition Man - Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes
Desperado - Antonio Banderas (hey, it's Antonio!)

And, ok, just about anything with Ah-nold in it. I especially like the tongue-in-cheek Last Action Hero.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pages (5): 1 2 3 4 5