Pages (3):    1 2 3
Dave F   07-11-2007, 03:21 PM
fpw Wrote:That world is simply no longer on my radar. I'm now doing 2 books a year in Jack's world. No room for Peter's.

Technically they are the same world, as anyone who has read Bloodline by now should know

So you can consider the RJ series as a prequel to LaNague

Also you can consider LaNague as post nightworld - something FPW said he would never tackle

The artist formally known as Britfan
sublime1983   07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I was just in a conversation with someone explaining what the books were, and he asked if they had time machines in the book. That got me thinking... Since everyone is traveling faster than light, they technically are traveling in time. If you look at the starts, you've all heard that they have died out by the time it takes for its light to get here. So, if you could travel faster than light, you would actually be traveling through time. I guess it would be easier to simply say time slows down as speed increases.

Anyways, was this ever a thought in the book and I missed it? Did they travel in time at some point? I understand how using the psionic portals could escape the time paradox, but traveling in sub-space is still traveling at extreme speeds. Did this come into play in your thoughts FPW?

There was once a man who was all obsessed with the strangest things. Like Nestle Quik, original cdr's and Afro-sheen. He built himself his dome, never left his home, decided life is much better when you're on your own. You might not want my opinion, but he coulda been on to something good.

Josh
fpw   07-12-2007, 09:28 AM
sublime1983 Wrote:Anyways, was this ever a thought in the book and I missed it? Did they travel in time at some point? I understand how using the psionic portals could escape the time paradox, but traveling in sub-space is still traveling at extreme speeds. Did this come into play in your thoughts FPW?
[SIZE="3"]The gates allow a jump between loci. You get there faster than light traveling the full distance, but you are traveling a fraction of the distance at sublight speeds.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
sublime1983   07-12-2007, 09:57 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]The gates allow a jump between loci. You get there faster than light traveling the full distance, but you are traveling a fraction of the distance at sublight speeds.[/SIZE]
My understanding of the situation... You would technically be traveling "x" amount of miles over "y" amount of time in real numbers. Distance over time, in this case, would give a rate of actually greater than "c." They would be arriving before the light and, therefore, would be traveling back in time.

The only way around time influence would be the use of portals (ie; teleportation). Your molecules would be broken down and transported to another location, but on the same time plane. It would be an immediate shift in location and doesn't actually "travel." At least, this is how we understand it now through Quantum Entanglement. If there is any line of communication between the atoms, it travels at such an extreme speed we cannot detect it with our current technology.

For the gates to not be affected by time, they would need to release the passengers on the opposite side at the exact same time as they entered. Otherwise, rate can be calculated.

There was once a man who was all obsessed with the strangest things. Like Nestle Quik, original cdr's and Afro-sheen. He built himself his dome, never left his home, decided life is much better when you're on your own. You might not want my opinion, but he coulda been on to something good.

Josh
Pages (3):    1 2 3