Pages (4):    1 2 3 4
Anders Monsen   07-01-2007, 01:31 AM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D

I usually wait for the trade, or if Tony (AC) buys it first, I read his copy. If and when I do purchase the Limited Editions, it's strictly as an investment. Tony purchased the error edition of Harbingers as an investment (only four in existence) and I was tempted to buy the error edition of Bloodline (only seven in existence), but I passed. I know I'll regret it later, but those are the chances you take as an investor/collector.

As a book reader, I am not sure how I can reconcile the concept of a book as investment. I know a lot of people do collect books for this purpose, but I can't say that's my reason for collecting certain books. I don't go out of my way to locate so-called "hard to find" books. The most I've spend for a book probably is around $80-$100, and those occasions I can count on one hand. Now, I do own some rare books, but for the most part my reason for getting these is pure self-interest - I want to read books by my favorite authors NOW. If I know a book is out there, I hate waiting a few months. A secondary reason, banal as it sounds, is that if the production value is better, I'll shell out more money for the more expensive book. Midnight Mass is an example, as the mass market hardback looked horrible. The limited edition is gorgeous. But I won't go out and collect all five CD versions of the Sims novellas. And as I already own the Dark Harvest Adversary books, I can't justify buying the new six-volume set.

Back when Underwood-Miller was around (and right after they split, I was an avid collector of their Jack Vance editions. A few of these are quite hard to find, and I own almost all of them. But I don't see them as investments. One of their last books, Ports of Call, was released in an edition of around 270 - a very limited print run. I have bought no other version, and have read the book a couple of times. I take good care when I read the book, but I do that with paperbacks as well. This is not to denigrate people who invest in books, but to me it's just hard to mix business with pleasure as far as books go.
Auskar   07-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Holy Cow. It is $66. Amazon doesn't describe it as a limited edition, or anything. The regular hardcover will not be released until October 16. Man, you guys better not be telling spoilers.

For $66, there should be pictures. Big Grin Lots of pictures.
This post was last modified: 07-01-2007, 03:28 AM by Auskar.
Keith the Elder   07-01-2007, 07:05 PM
Auskar Wrote:For $66, there should be pictures. Big Grin Lots of pictures.

There are, thousands, but they're all in my mind.

So, if anything happens to the book, the images are mine forever!!

"Think for yourself and question authority" Leary

By the way, How are things in your town?
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-01-2007, 08:34 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Allow me to lighten your burden of confusion about the realities of the publishing biz. The pipeline for a major trade publisher is a year long. Mine already has its Summer 2008 catalog at the printer.

Small presses can be much more agile. Both publishers received the ms. at the same time. Gauntlet jumps out early because it doesn't want any question about whether or not its pricey edition is a true first edition.

I hope that enlightens you. As for me, I'm off to sneak up on the udder of some unsuspecting reader.[/SIZE]

Don't you mean the jugular vein, Paul?
Pages (4):    1 2 3 4