Scott Miller   05-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I just read the "Itsy -Bitsy Spider" to my son last night as part of my ongoing program to seek out fantastic literature,he was a bit creeped out-YES!-and he wanted to know how much Megan assisted you with the writing of the story.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
fpw   05-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:I just read the "Itsy -Bitsy Spider" to my son last night as part of my ongoing program to seek out fantastic literature,he was a bit creeped out-YES!-and he wanted to know how much Megan assisted you with the writing of the story.
[SIZE="3"]The story arose out of Meggan's arachnophobia -- spiders really creep her out. So I said, let's use that. We outlined it, using whatever she found most disgusting. We decided to open in media res -- the spiders are here, they're not going away, so how do people cope? -- and use the boy and his mother as the microcosm. She wrote the first half and I the second. Then I polished to even out the styles.

I thinks it's the only story in the book even remotely scary. [/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Scott Miller   05-22-2007, 01:23 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]The story arose out of Meggan's arachnophobia -- spiders really creep her out. So I said, let's use that. We outlined it, using whatever she found most disgusting. We decided to open in media res -- the spiders are here, they're not going away, so how do people cope? -- and use the boy and his mother as the microcosm. She wrote the first half and I the second. Then I polished to even out the styles.

Which book is that-the authors and daughters/sons? That is where I first read the story years ago, but it was the only story I read from the entire anthology. The story I read last night I found in Shivers III.

So is Meggan considering writing as potential future occupation?

And it was scary, I should have mentioned that Caleb wasn't the only one creeped out; I'm a bit of an arachnophobe myself and egg sacs have to be the grossest thing known to man.
This post was last modified: 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM by Scott Miller.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
fpw   05-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Scott Miller Wrote:Which book is that-the authors and daughters/sons? That is where I first read the story years ago, but it was the only story I read from the entire anthology. .
[SIZE="3"]That's the one.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Biggles   05-23-2007, 06:43 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]The story arose out of Meggan's arachnophobia -- spiders really creep her out. So I said, let's use that. We outlined it, using whatever she found most disgusting. We decided to open in media res -- the spiders are here, they're not going away, so how do people cope? -- and use the boy and his mother as the microcosm. She wrote the first half and I the second. Then I polished to even out the styles.

That was a great story. I wanted Mrs. Biggles to read it, but she wouldn't. Smile

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"