Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7
law dawg   08-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Jimbo-Speaking of Anne Rice, I just picked up a used copy of The Mummy for about $0.40. Has anyone read this/Is it any good? I read and was very disappointed in Interview with the Vampire, but I figured I would pick up th Mummy merely because of the cost. I also got Peter Benchley's The Deep.

Me-I enjoyed The Mummy. I have read all of Rice's books, although I will say that Interview was my LEAST favorite. Vampire Lestat I enjoyed enormously. For Vampires I enjoyed They Thirst. I cannot remember the author - McCammon maybe? Good one. Along with Salem's Lot. But the rest of Rice's vampire series is better than Interview.

My opinion only. Your mileage may vary.
jimbow8   08-05-2004, 08:16 PM
law dawg Wrote:Jimbo-Speaking of Anne Rice, I just picked up a used copy of The Mummy for about $0.40. Has anyone read this/Is it any good? I read and was very disappointed in Interview with the Vampire, but I figured I would pick up th Mummy merely because of the cost. I also got Peter Benchley's The Deep.

Me-I enjoyed The Mummy. I have read all of Rice's books, although I will say that Interview was my LEAST favorite. Vampire Lestat I enjoyed enormously. For Vampires I enjoyed They Thirst. I cannot remember the author - McCammon maybe? Good one. Along with Salem's Lot. But the rest of Rice's vampire series is better than Interview.

My opinion only. Your mileage may vary.
Uh-oh, a topic we may agree on: Vampire novels. Big Grin First, yes, it is McCammon. It's on my 'to read' pile currently. The only other book of his I've read is Swan Song, which I wasn't that impressed with. For vampire novels, may I recommend The Light at the End (Hey, guys, I've recommended this many times. has anyone read it yet?) by Skipp & Specter. Also noteworthy are Covenant with the Vampire by Jeanne Kalogradis, though I have never gotten around to reading the sequels; the Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen, though I have mixed feeling about this and its being the 'basis' for the 1992 movie Dracula. Also, the Shadow Saga by Christopher Golden and the 'Darkness' series by Stephen Spruill which are unique takes on vampirism.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
law dawg   08-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Jimbo-For vampire novels, may I recommend The Light at the End (Hey, guys, I've recommended this many times. has anyone read it yet?) by Skipp & Specter. Also noteworthy are Covenant with the Vampire by Jeanne Kalogradis, though I have never gotten around to reading the sequels; the Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen, though I have mixed feeling about this and its being the 'basis' for the 1992 movie Dracula. Also, the Shadow Saga by Christopher Golden and the 'Darkness' series by Stephen Spruill which are unique takes on vampirism.

Me-Thanks for the recommendations. I am always in the hunt for new reading material. I am currently finishing The Pentagon's New Map (Barnet), then the 9/11 Commission report and then Hubris (by Anonymous). These are all work-related. As far as fiction I just finished two Terry Pratchett books and the Rain series by Barry Eisler (more hardcore RJ-type character).

I will definitely check into at least some of these books and will get back to you. At least if you're still speaking to such a rampant governmental-type that is...;-)
Scott Miller   08-06-2004, 03:50 AM
[QUOTE=jimbow8](Hey, guys, I've recommended this many times. has anyone read it yet?)[QUOTE=jimbow8]

I have read it (The Light at the End, that is) and agree with your assessment. Animals by S & S is also great. Part of the problem with recommendations here is that we are all are voracious readers and have stacks of books in our waiting-to-be-read piles. I finally got around to adding to your pile; you should get those books by the end of next week.

Scott

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
SteveBlack   08-06-2004, 04:57 AM
cyber-jack Wrote:Sorry, haven't read the Mummy. I somehow got through Interview and half way through The Vampire Lestat before I realized that I would rather piss a stream of barbed wire than read another word Anne Rice put to paper.

40 cents is a good buy, though...

LOL - that's much the same experience I had though I never got as far as half way with Lestat.

My wife loves Anne Rice though........... Wink
Kenji   08-06-2004, 11:14 AM
The Cobra Event by Richard Preston.

Things I first read his book, it was Hot Zone. That was scary too, but The Cobra Event was scariest book in my life. Lonely terrorist bring out the virus to New York city..... chilly! :eek:
Roark   08-22-2004, 06:54 PM
The only book that really scarred me was the amytiville horror when I read it in junior high. For weeks afterward I always saw red eye's outside my window. I've always wanted to read the Ringu series but no english translation as of yet.
Dave   08-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Roark Wrote:The only book that really scarred me was the amytiville horror when I read it in junior high. For weeks afterward I always saw red eye's outside my window. I've always wanted to read the Ringu series but no english translation as of yet.

The translated book can be found on Amazon.

Dave
remylass   08-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Roark Wrote:The only book that really scarred me was the amytiville horror when I read it in junior high. For weeks afterward I always saw red eye's outside my window. I've always wanted to read the Ringu series but no english translation as of yet.

Just a warning. I read Ringu, and it is completely different than the movies. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. The writing also takes awhile to get used to.
Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7