RepairmanJack.com Forums
Scariest Books You've Read - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Scariest Books You've Read (/thread-233.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Scariest Books You've Read - SDSwami - 07-11-2004

Sorta like the other thread on here, but I was thinking more of a Non-FPW line.

I always liked Needful Things. One moment that will always stand out to me was when I read this the first time during my senior year. Towards the end of the book when all hell breaks loose, there's a scene where Ace sets off some dynamite under the bridge in town. I was reading this part while in study hall one day and at the exact same moment where the bridge goes up, someone had pulled the fire alarm in the school. I think I came a few feet off my chair when that happened.

My favorite short story is definately The Body Politic by Clive Barker. I've never read a story that made me laugh this hard but at the same time think to myself "What if this is really true? Would I ever know?". If you've never read this, it's located in the book The Inhuman Condition.

Overall, the scariest books I've read would have to be Salem's Lot, The Keep, and The Damnation Game.

Scariest Books You've Read - Kenji - 07-11-2004

SDSwami Wrote:Sorta like the other thread on here, but I was thinking more of a Non-FPW line.

I always liked Needful Things. One moment that will always stand out to me was when I read this the first time during my senior year. Towards the end of the book when all hell breaks loose, there's a scene where Ace sets off some dynamite under the bridge in town. I was reading this part while in study hall one day and at the exact same moment where the bridge goes up, someone had pulled the fire alarm in the school. I think I came a few feet off my chair when that happened.

Needful Things, yes. That was awesome. At the same time, it was funny. I think most scariest King's novel is Dark Half.

Quote:My favorite short story is definately The Body Politic by Clive Barker. I've never read a story that made me laugh this hard but at the same time think to myself "What if this is really true? Would I ever know?". If you've never read this, it's located in the book The Inhuman Condition.

Overall, the scariest books I've read would have to be Salem's Lot, The Keep, and The Damnation Game.

The Damnation Game is horrible. When I first saw this cover illustration, I felt chilly. Nevertheless, I like Clive Barker's Book of Blood. Specially, Jacqueline Ess is my favorite short story.

This is Japanese edition The Damnation Game.

Scariest Books You've Read - SDSwami - 07-11-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:Needful Things, yes. That was awesome. At the same time, it was funny. I think most scariest King's novel is Dark Half.

The Damnation Game is horrible. When I first saw this cover illustration, I felt chilly. Nevertheless, I like Clive Barker's Book of Blood. Specially, Jacqueline Ess is my favorite short story.

This is Japanese edition The Damnation Game.

I wasn't thinking straight when I wrote the first post. I didn't mean to say The Damnation Game but instead meant to say The Hellbound Heart (which is the basis for the movie Hellraiser).

Scariest Books You've Read - SteveBlack - 07-11-2004

McCammon's 'They Thirst'. Absolutely no contest. As nightfall approached I felt genuine fear. An awesome book.

Scariest Books You've Read - Noelie - 07-11-2004

'Salem's Lot, The Exorcist, The Keep, Hell House. And the beginning of Ghosts by Noel Hynd. The rest of the book wasn't that scary, but the beginning of it was so scary that I put the book down and refused to keep reading it.

Scariest Books You've Read - jimbow8 - 07-11-2004

Few books have actually scared me. The ones that pop immediately to mind are (all Stephen King, since I have read him most) the topiary animals in The Shining, the werewolf in the basement in IT, and the cellar stairs scene in Bag of Bones. Oh and also the description in The Boogeyman of the silent (but not too silent) encroaching of the boogeyman in the house.

Scariest Books You've Read - Marc - 07-11-2004

Bag of Bones or IT by King, The Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce and One Rainy Night by Richard Laymon are all good.

Scariest Books You've Read - Lisa - 07-11-2004

MINE by McCammon and PET SEMATARY by King. The early Ira Levin books are pretty damn creepy too.

Lisa

Scariest Books You've Read - Nietzsche Pops - 07-11-2004

1984 by George Orwell. Horror novels don't scare me too much. Things that actually could occur frighten me.

Scariest Books You've Read - Kenji - 07-12-2004

I think scariest book I've read is Fahrenheit 451. Do you know why? Perhaps, If you read this book, you will know that reason.