Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7   
Hung By The Neck Til Dead   07-24-2004, 10:30 PM
sandeedazey Wrote:I also was a King fan until he seemed to be stepping into the fantasy area. I prefer the old classics of his. Although if some of the newer stuff is good, maybe I will try it. I remember reading Christine, could not put it down all night. I would not walk in front of my car for 2 weeks!

Wouldn't you agree that what really scares you in a book really reflects personal fears? The best writers can just reach in there and tweak you.
As a woman, I found Dean Koontz' Intensity very scary.

Sandee

Well Intensity was formulatic, just a few moments thrown in to change it, but I had the story figured out when she saw the sheriff reports. But it is stll a good read, the only problem I have with Koontz is that his endings are too short. I only liked his 2 books that dealt with the blind guy, now those were a romp.
Hung By The Neck Til Dead   07-24-2004, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=Kenji Asakura]Christine! A long time ago, I read it. Movie was not scary,because that movie was similar to The Car. But this novel was scary.
[QUOTE]

I agree Kenji, now that movie The Car was scary, Christine was just like a jilted lover that didn't know when to quit.
fpw   07-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Mick C.:

You've got to be of my g-g-g-g-generation. Very few of the younger folk have ever heard of those books, let alone read them.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Mick C.   07-25-2004, 01:28 AM
fpw Wrote:Mick C.:

You've got to be of my g-g-g-g-generation. Very few of the younger folk have ever heard of those books, let alone read them.

Well, I turned 46 last week. There are so many great out-of-print books in every genre out there that can only be found in used bookstores. Even the classics in SF, horror,mystery, etc. often can't be found since the collapse of the publishers' backlists.

"Flow with the Go."

- Rickson Gracie
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Mick C. Wrote:Well, I turned 46 last week. There are so many great out-of-print books in every genre out there that can only be found in used bookstores. Even the classics in SF, horror,mystery, etc. often can't be found since the collapse of the publishers' backlists.

Howdy, Mick. Isn't it a scandal to the jaybirds that the great James Blish is all-but-forgotten these days? And please don't get me started about Keith Laumer!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Kenji Asakura Wrote:Yes that's right! But I dislike this movie.

Battle Royale was made into a movie, and this movie was social problem in Japan. The movie was R-15, but many junior high students went to see the movie in theater, and similar violence incident happened in school. Aaaah! recent kids........ :mad:

Good God...what happened, Kenji?
law dawg   07-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Discworld...YEAH!!!! that is a AWESOME series. And yes I love Vimes and Death's characters, but Rat Death is even better. Pratchett is a genuis, IMHO. Big Grin

Yeah, the Death of Rats rocks. That whole series is brilliant.
law dawg   07-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Law Dawg, if you like Jordan and Goodkind then check out The Game of Thrones by George R R Martin, the first of his Song of Ice and Fire series.

Great stuff. I'm re-reading it now (after about 6 years) and enjoying every page, again.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Will do. I am always looking for a good author and new series.

Just finished Barry Eisler's "Rain" series. Kind of a more hardcore RPJ-type guy, although some distinctive differences (Rain is a hitman). Good series and getting better.
Kenji   07-27-2004, 07:00 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Good God...what happened, Kenji?

This sentence is from Japanese newspaper.

An 11-year-old girl taken into custody for allegedly killing a female classmate with a box cutter was quoted by police sources Friday as saying she did so because the classmate wrote on an Internet bulletin board that the girl was "prissy."

According to the police, Satomi Mitarai wrote on a bulletin board on her Web site late last month that the girl was prissy. The girl deleted the message, but Mitarai posted a similar one soon later.

To make changes to messages on a Web site, the girl would have needed a password. The girl told investigators that she did not like the messages so she decided to kill Mitarai.

The two girls registered with a service that enables users to create a Web site easily, and they both had their own sites on which each set up a bulletin board.

===

Admirer of 'Battle Royale'

The girl wrote and published on her Web site a story similar to "Battle Royale," a novel by Koshun Takami about middle school students who battle and kill each other.

She launched the Web site in January and started posting in late February sections from her story, which she completed this month.

"Battle Royale" is about 42 middle school students taken to an uninhabited island by the government to battle against each other for their own survival.

The girl's story was titled "Battle Royale--Sasayaki" and is similar to the original, although characters' names are different. The main character is a third-grade middle school student named Maya, who battles with 15 classmates with Japanese swords and machine guns. In the end, Maya wins to become the only student who survives the battle.

On Feb. 24, she announced on her Web site that she was going to write her own version of "Battle Royale." She also asked those who visited her site to post comments on it.

She also posted poems and messages about her classmates.

In one such post, she said she was annoyed with her class and that her classmates were "vulgar, rude, arrogant and selfish losers."

===

Rehabilitation planned

The Nagasaki prefectural child consultation center in Sasebo has requested that the girl be sent to a child rehabilitation facility that can keep her isolated from other children, The Yomiuri Shimbun learned Friday.

The center made the request when the girl, who had been held by Nagasaki prefectural police, was referred to Nagasaki Family Court's Sasebo branch, saying being admitted to such a facility would be an "appropriate" action.

The child consultation center in Nagasaki received a report Tuesday from prefectural police containing details of the case and convened a meeting Wednesday to discuss what rehabilitation the girl should receive.

Based on the police report and talks with the girl and her parents, the center decided to refer the case to the Sasebo branch. If it is decided in family court that she should be sent to a facility, the center will choose the facility.

"Bearing in mind the seriousness of this case, we decided that she needed individual attention rather than social interaction at this point," said Masanori Nakamura, head of the center.

There are 58 so-called self-reliance facilities for children nationwide. Two of the state-run facilities are equipped with secured private rooms, but the only one that accommodates girls is located in Ujiiemachi, Tochigi Prefecture.

A Nagasaki child consultation center requested similar treatment when it referred a 12-year-old boy who abducted and killed a 4-year-old child in Nagasaki in July to the family court.

===

Ministry establishes project team

Education, Science and Technology Minister Takeo Kawamura announced Friday that the ministry had set up a project team to investigate the problematic behavior of young students.

The team will analyze the details and possible causes behind the Sasebo case and draw up a series of measures by the beginning of the school summer holidays to prevent similar incidents from occurring.

The team is expected to discuss how to educate children on the preciousness of human life, create a secure school environment and teach morals and manners in the information society, among other measures.

Early next week, the team will dispatch officials to Sasebo to gather information on the case.

"Primary school students are surrounded by so many influences, including the Internet and movies," Kawamura said at a press conference Friday. "We must ensure that children understand at a more profound level the importance of human life."
ripper_bd   07-27-2004, 08:31 AM
Mick C Wrote:Richard Matheson - Pretty much everything, but especially I AM LEGEND.

Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie at this so bear with me! I totally agree, Matheson is an amazing author. I first read this about 4 years ago and I think I've re-read it 5 times since, its gotta be the best alternative vampire novel ever written... 'cept the Keep. This is gonna sound weird but which movie version of I AM LEGEND did you prefer? Vincent Price or Charlton Heston? I'm a huge Vincent Price fan so you can gues where my vote goes!
This post was last modified: 07-27-2004, 08:39 AM by ripper_bd.
Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7