Pages (3):    1 2 3   
The Mad American   01-10-2007, 12:39 PM
NewYorkjoe Wrote:She is a little darling! What bright eyes, what a lovely smile!

She will break hearts when she gets older! Once she starts dating, I suggest that you station yourself on the porch, conspicuously cleaning your shotgun when her date shows up! Big Grin

What a proud papa you must be!

Very proud indeed. I am really enjoying the whole dad thing.

As for dating, I luckily have a few years until I have to worry about that. Going to be teaching her Brazilian JuJitsu so if any boys make moves they shouldn't be she can either armbar them or choke them out.Big Grin

Also, the comedian Bill Engval had a line about when his daughter started dating that he would use when he first met the young man. He said he would get really close to them and say "There is one thing you should know, I ain't afraid of going back to prison".

Now sorry for the thread hijack.

Can't wait to see this movie!!

"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." D.O. McKay

"Never raise your hand to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected."
~ Red Buttons

Too literal? I'm sorry you feel I have a Literal Agenda!

webby   01-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Just saw a YouTube video called "Why 'Children of Men' Should Be Nominated for Best Picture".
It's a compilation of brief scenes so there could be spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet - although I watched the actual movie trailer also, and that seemed to have more of what I'd consider "spoilers".

I am extremely intrigued by all I've heard and seen about this film. I just may have to actually go to a theater to see this one...

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
fpw   01-10-2007, 01:36 PM
webby Wrote:I am extremely intrigued by all I've heard and seen about this film. I just may have to actually go to a theater to see this one...

[SIZE="3"]You should. The sound is wonderful and a big screen sucks you in all the more.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
webby   01-10-2007, 09:25 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]You should. The sound is wonderful and a big screen sucks you in all the more.[/SIZE]

That settles it. It may be the only thing I go to the theater to see this year, but no way can I wait for DVD now! Smile

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
fpw   01-11-2007, 09:12 AM
[SIZE="3"]In fairness I should mention that this is not a film for everyone. I know -- or rather, I'm fairly sure -- Mary would have found it too upsetting to enjoy.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
webby   01-21-2007, 01:58 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]You should. The sound is wonderful and a big screen sucks you in all the more.[/SIZE]

Finally went to see it today. I wanted to go last weekend, but didn't because of the ice storm. Today my best friend, her daughter and I went to an early matinee before the snow started.

Wow. It really did suck us in. Afterward we were still so on edge we were literally shaking!

I didn't really get teary, but my friend did. She said there was at least one moment when I had total empathy because she noticed my reaction - near the end when they are running through an alley in Bexhall and Theo is still wearing just those damn flip-flops and cuts his foot on some of the trash laying around. :eek:

For anyone else who has read the book - this movie is not the same story. I'd call it "loosely based on" the book, no more than that. And yet, it didn't really matter because the movie itself is phenomenal.

Final thought - I hope we see more of Claire-Hope Ashitey, the actress who played Kee. Something about her, beyond her role in this movie, was pure magic.

It's Thirteen O'Clock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kenji   01-21-2007, 02:42 AM
webby Wrote:Final thought - I hope we see more of Claire-Hope Ashitey, the actress who played Kee. Something about her, beyond her role in this movie, was pure magic.

I totally agree. She deserve nomination of Academy's actress in a supporting role.
Scott Miller   01-31-2007, 07:16 PM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]Saw this yesterday and it blew me away. A harrowing experience. Choked me up at least half a dozen times in the third act -- something that simply doesn't happen with me -- and left me physically and emotionally drained. There's a 7-minute-long running/action take toward the end that has to be seen to be believed.[/SIZE]

I just coming back from seeing it. It nailed to my seat in the first two minutes and there I sat frozen throughout. Alfonso Cuaron and everyone associated with the movie deserve every kudo they are receiving. I haven't been this stunned by a film in a long time. Anyone interested in seeing it should definitely make an effort to see it in a theatre.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Auskar   02-01-2007, 03:32 AM
I've never been able to figure out whether I should see this movie or not. Some people, who's opinion I respect, have said it was a simply terrible movie. Others, who's opinion I also respect, have only said nice things about the movie. No one says much about WHY they like it or don't like it, and that makes it harder to decide.
Dave   02-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Auskar Wrote:I've never been able to figure out whether I should see this movie or not. Some people, who's opinion I respect, have said it was a simply terrible movie. Others, who's opinion I also respect, have only said nice things about the movie. No one says much about WHY they like it or don't like it, and that makes it harder to decide.
It's a fairly simple story that doesn't try to explain why these things have happened. But the heart of the story is one of hope, and the execution is rivetting.

If you like films that leave the answers to your own imagination, but tell a simple story in a mind blowing way, then I heartily recommend it.

If you don't like being left with questions, then you may not like it, no matter how well directed it is.

Another factor is that it is grim. It shows a future world that is from your nightmares, but close enough to how things are now that it seems all the more prophetic. I live in London and the future vision they showed chilled me to the bone, I think they got it spot on. However, as I said above, the story is about hope, so the grimness is there for a reason.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS it deserved more Oscar consideration than it got IMO.
Pages (3):    1 2 3