Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6
jimbow8   01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Had a doctor's appointment this morning for me leg. And on Wednesday nights, I'm scheduled to close at work, which I =hate=! So I figured I'd take today and tomorrow off, start to use my new 2007 paid-time-off hours. Need the break after the holiday madness. Plus, we're short a closing Supervisor on my floor for Saturday nights. I agreed to take the gig, telling my boss, "Awright, Anthony, I'll work with you on this, but I will hate every fucking second and trust that you'll remember, come evaluation time in October. I got "Exceeds Standards" last time, am working with you to get the same this year. Plus your recommendation for my promotion to Manager." The big man from West Virginia sighed. "Nothing's ever easy with you, is it, Mike? I'll do what I can. But be forewarned at least one of the Managers thinks you're too fucking weird for promotion. No, I'm not saying who! But you're well-liked by the rest. Your time is coming." Yeah, Bad Tony, that and 2 bucks will get me on the subway...Rolleyes
Hope yer leg feels better.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Hope yer leg feels better.

Thank you, Jim. But that was the problem--it =never= hurt. If it had, I would have gone to the EM much sooner. It took the wound turning black at the edges, a putrid stench, and the belated recognition,"Uh, this ain't gettin' better...this looks like a serious infection. Necrosis, you might call it." What a chowderhead I can be. Today, when I take the Duoderm patch off, and wash the wound, it still doesn't hurt. And this is way below the epidermis and dermis. "Meat" is how I think of it. But my doctor is pleased with developments, so that's good.

Sorry if that was more info than you needed!:eek:
webby   01-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Had a doctor's appointment this morning for me leg. And on Wednesday nights, I'm scheduled to close at work, which I =hate=! So I figured I'd take today and tomorrow off, start to use my new 2007 paid-time-off hours.

Good plan! I always hated those closing shifts at B&N too - especially if I was scheduled to open the next day. Bookselling is definitely not the cushy occupation some people think it is. Besides crazy hours and dealing with the public, those book carts are heavy! Wink

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-03-2007, 07:57 PM
webby Wrote:Good plan! I always hated those closing shifts at B&N too - especially if I was scheduled to open the next day. Bookselling is definitely not the cushy occupation some people think it is. Besides crazy hours and dealing with the public, those book carts are heavy! Wink

Sigh. I hate closing, Webby. So much prefer coming in at 7AM to have time to shortlist the needed music, film, and theater titles my area needs. A Big Boss, Mark Botini, agreed on that. "If we can't sell classical music books =here=", I asked in a private conversation one early morning, "where= can= we sell them if not Lincoln Center?" He pondered ten seconds, said, "That's exactly right, Michael. Order what ever you feel you need. Use my name."

All very cool and right, Webby, but where's the big raise and promotion for the Bluesman?:confused:
This post was last modified: 01-03-2007, 08:00 PM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Dave F   01-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Sigh. I hate closing, Webby. So much prefer coming in at 7AM to have time to shortlist the needed music, film, and theater titles my area needs. A Big Boss, Mark Botini, agreed on that. "If we can't sell classical music books =here=", I asked in a private conversation one early morning, "where= can= we sell them if not Lincoln Center?" He pondered ten seconds, said, "That's exactly right, Michael. Order what ever you feel you need. Use my name."

All very cool and right, Webby, but where's the big raise and promotion for the Bluesman?:confused:

You should point out all the free advertising you give them on here! Sure fire promotion then

BTW glad to hear the leg is improving - sounds nasty - hadn't realised it was so bad.

The artist formally known as Britfan
Bluesman Mike Lindner   01-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Britfan Wrote:You should point out all the free advertising you give them on here! Sure fire promotion then

BTW glad to hear the leg is improving - sounds nasty - hadn't realised it was so bad.

Hee-hee, Dave! I hadn't thought of it as free promotion, but I guess you're right on the money.

And thanks about your kind wishes about me gammy leg. Oi'll run the NYC Marathon yet, Oi'm seyin' naow!
Pages (6):    1 2 3 4 5 6