Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5   
jimbow8   11-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Maggers Wrote:I'm gonna have to bitch slap you for that, Jim, that's sacrilege! Besides which, the line is "I will find you. Whatever it takes. Stay alive. I will find you."

"I will come for you" can be read...differently. :p
Thanks for the correction. In my defense (?), much of my amusement comes from a skit (SNL, Living Color, ???) which mocked the movie line ..... which amplified my ambivalence to the movie.

I won't comment on the rest ..... Wink

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Noelie   11-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Maggers Wrote:"I will come for you" can be read...differently. :p

*snicker*

:p

How many vikings does it take to change a light bulb?

None. The light from the burning monastery is more than sufficient.

May the Norse be with you.

EWMAN, Jr.
Mark S.   11-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Maggers Wrote:Michael Mann's "The Last of the Mohicans" is my FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALL TIME! I'm always posting that, it seems, but it's true. I sob each time I see it and it moves me beyond belief.

It's a very beautiful film no doubt, but just gets silly in places.

How do we know that Uncas and the younger sister are in love? Why, because they stare at each other while music plays, of course. It has all the character development of a music video.

A gorgeous film, yes, but one that doesn't make a lot sense. But that's generally my feeling of most of Mann's films.
Ken Valentine   11-17-2006, 09:39 PM
Maggers Wrote:I'm gonna have to bitch slap you for that, Jim, that's sacrilege! Besides which, the line is "I will find you. Whatever it takes. Stay alive. I will find you."

Actually, it's more like: "If they don't kill you, they'll take you up to Huron-Land. You survive do you hear . . . you submit . . . you stay alive! No matter how long it takes, I will find you!"

There's a bit more to it than that, but that's the jist of it.

Still a good movie, and I love the music.

Ken V.
XamberB   11-18-2006, 06:49 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I'm in the minority with cobalt79 in liking The Keep. I think Manhunter is FAR superior to any of the Hopkins Hannibal movies that I've seen, including TSOTL (imo, one of least deserving Best Picture* winners in recent memory). I liked Collateral. Heat was good but would have been better if shortened by about 30 minutes. I didn't care much (but hardly remember) Mohicans; yet I still laugh every time I think of the line "I WILL come for you!" Miami Vice is quite probably my favorite TV show of all time.

Didn't see any of the others.

*I just looked and it was pretty crappy competition in 1992.

That's strange. I feel that Silence of the Lambs was one of the few pictures that actually deserved the award. In my opinion, the director built suspense from the beginning with Jodie Foster jogging through the fog and ending with the phone call from Anthony Hopkins. I still love this movie and was bitterly disappointed by the second one.

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
Mike   11-20-2006, 04:11 PM
XamberB Wrote:That's strange. I feel that Silence of the Lambs was one of the few pictures that actually deserved the award. In my opinion, the director built suspense from the beginning with Jodie Foster jogging through the fog and ending with the phone call from Anthony Hopkins. I still love this movie and was bitterly disappointed by the second one.

I agree totally. Silence of the Lambs was a superior movie. Hannibal would have been a great movie if they followed the book more, especially at the end. The real saving grace for that movie was Gary Oldham whose performance went uncredited.
Auskar   11-21-2006, 12:26 AM
The first time I saw Silence of the Lambs, it was disappointing. Later, I realized that the reason it was disappointing was because I had recently read the novel. When I saw it later, I thought it was great.

I don't like the Hannibal Lector sequels, but it is a tribute to Anthony Hopkins that they were written as books and made into movies. If it were not for Anthony Hopkins, things would have ended at Silence of the Lambs (which is the second novel).
NewYorkjoe   12-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Mark S. Wrote:It's a very beautiful film no doubt, but just gets silly in places.

How do we know that Uncas and the younger sister are in love? Why, because they stare at each other while music plays, of course. It has all the character development of a music video.

A gorgeous film, yes, but one that doesn't make a lot sense. But that's generally my feeling of most of Mann's films.

I would never say it was my favorite movie of all time, but it was pretty faithful to James Fenimor Cooper's work IMHO.

The French and Indian War was far more brutal to the colonists and the Native Americans alike than the Revolutionary War that followed not many years after; many atrocities committed on both sides. In the French and Indian War, George Washington was a goat, forced to surrender and sign a document of surrender for which he had no authority following the massacre of Gen. Braddock's force (some say that on still mornings, you can hear the soldiers, their horses, and equipment on the deserted streets of Georgetown!). :eek:

Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: "To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late; And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods,"
"Well, John Henry said to the Cap'n, "A man ain't nuthin' but a man. But, before I let that steam drill beat me, gonna die with my hammer in my hand, Lawd, Lawd, gonna die with my hammer in my hand."
Ken Valentine   12-14-2006, 03:49 AM
NewYorkjoe Wrote:I would never say it was my favorite movie of all time, but it was pretty faithful to James Fenimor Cooper's work IMHO.

Actually, there were quite a few changes from the novel. Not the least being that the roles of the sisters were switched.

Ken V.
Pages (5):    1 2 3 4 5