Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7
cobalt   10-09-2006, 11:20 PM
I liked "Swan Song", but not as much as "The Stand".

aside for Jimbow....Did you ever find the name of that book about the layers of Hell like in Dante's Inferno?

EWMAN
webby   10-09-2006, 11:21 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Some people compare Swan Song to The Stand (I've even heard it called better). Sacrilege, imo. Big Grin I didn't care for Insomnia but hardly remember it at all and want to reread for the DT references.

I did the same thing and still didn't like Insomnia even with a couple of DT references that it has.

(Am I sounding like a SK hater? I don't mean to - I really like most of his books.)

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
jimbow8   10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:I liked "Swan Song", but not as much as "The Stand".

aside for Jimbow....Did you ever find the name of that book about the layers of Hell like in Dante's Inferno?
Not only did I not find it, but I also have no idea what you're talking about. Damn my memory has gone to hell... or at least purgatory.

Divine Comedy?

Help me out.... remind me. :p

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
cobalt   10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:Not only did I not find it, but I also have no idea what you're talking about. Damn my memory has gone to hell... or at least purgatory.

Divine Comedy?

Help me out.... remind me. :p
I thought it was you....but MY memory may be the foul here! Wink
The book I was talking about was in a reading thread about a memorable book. This was something I read many, many moons ago. About a guy that was put in the lowest level of Hell and had to back track out. He meets Hitler and a few other nasties along the way. The levels were fashioned along the lines of Dante's Inferno. I don't remember the name of the book or the author, just that I truly loved this story and that it has stuck with me for at least 15 years. Crazy huh?

EWMAN
XamberB   10-10-2006, 04:41 AM
cobalt79 Wrote:Have you ever read FPW's "Implant"? This is the current book that I'm reading. Thick enough to give me some time with it. And this book should be nick-named....the vocabulary builder! Big Grin Try it, I think you'll like it.
I've read Implant and liked it very much. I just got it out again to reread along with Deep as the Marrow. I haven't read Mirage and the LaNague Federation books, but they'll definitely be next. Love finding new books by a favorite author I haven't read!

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
Dave   10-10-2006, 07:50 AM
XamberB Wrote:Have you read George R.R. Martin's Crown of Swords books. They are nice and thick and very intricate.Cool
I'd second the recommendation, but add that the first book is called Game of Thrones and the series is called The Song of Ice and Fire. Subsequent books are called Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows, with Dance of Dragons hopefully out next year (although Georgy has been known to miss a deadline or ten).

Dave
luthie2   10-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Dave Wrote:I'd second the recommendation, but add that the first book is called Game of Thrones and the series is called The Song of Ice and Fire. Subsequent books are called Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows, with Dance of Dragons hopefully out next year (although Georgy has been known to miss a deadline or ten).

Dave

I'd recommend this series as well. I also loved Swan Song. Sounds like Amber and I have similar tastes in reading material. Smile

Speaking of nice hefty books, anyone read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series?

-Luthie
Scott Miller   10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
luthie2 Wrote:Speaking of nice hefty books, anyone read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series?

-Luthie

Scott Lynch's debut, The Lies of Locke Lamora, is along the same complex lines as Martin's series and I thought it was a pretty incredible. The Banned and The Banished by James Clemens(aka James Rollins) is another lengthy dark fantasy series I found entertaining, although I haven't read the last two entries.

I tend to stick to shorter fare, avoid series(trilogies and Jack I can do) and almost never reread anything, but an author who doesn't fit that mold that I like is James F. David.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Dave   10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
luthie2 Wrote:Speaking of nice hefty books, anyone read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series?
The tenth one really did it for me. Nothing happened except alot of nervous clutching at skirts.

The series started really well and kept me hooked through book 7 (there's your Crown of Swords, Xamber!). Path of Daggers gave me pause, but Winter's Heart gave me fresh hope.

Then number 10 happened. Oh boy. The fact it was called Crossroads at Twilight should have been a clue, every character literally stood at a crossroads and dithered.

Apparently Knife of Dreams (number 11) is closer to his old form and book 12 will be the last one. I think I'm going to wait for that before I read another one.

As Scott said Locke Lamara is great fun and has a bit of meat to it.

And I'm currently reading Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. I like.

Dave
jimbow8   10-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Scott Miller Wrote:Scott Lynch's debut, The Lies of Locke Lamora, is along the same complex lines as Martin's series and I thought it was a pretty incredible.
Seconded.

Dave Wrote:As Scott said Locke Lamara is great fun and has a bit of meat to it.
Dave
Or thirded, I guess.

Fun book!

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7