Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7   
jimbow8   10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Medusa Wrote:That's one reason I wanted the unabridged version of The Stand!
I like the original version better...... I really need to read that again...

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
XamberB   10-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Medusa Wrote:That's one reason I wanted the unabridged version of The Stand!

Finally I meet people like me!!! You and Cobalt really understand how disappointing it is to get a thin book. Have you read George R.R. Martin's Crown of Swords books. They are nice and thick and very intricate.Cool

I love King's The Stand, It, The Talisman, Black House, and Insomnia. I keep trying to read his Dark Tower series, but I just can't get past the first couple of pages.

If you like The Stand, try McCammon's Swan Song. I finally found a hardback copy. Took me forever and I ended up with one the was in perfect condition except it reeked of smoke.
This post was last modified: 10-09-2006, 10:06 PM by XamberB.

Hazel Stone
(A true, blue Fan)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it. RAH
jimbow8   10-09-2006, 10:02 PM
XamberB Wrote:I love King's The Stand, It, The Talisman, Black House, and Insomnia. I keep trying to read his Dark Tower series, but I just can't get past the first couple of pages.
**gasp**

One of the greates opening lines EVER:

[INDENT]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.[/INDENT]
Big Grin

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
cobalt   10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:**gasp**

One of the greates opening lines EVER:

[INDENT]The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.[/INDENT]
Big Grin
I read these books with such fervor. Couldn't wait for the next installment. Almost as bad as waiting for a RMJ book! Big Grin When I saw that the last few books were coming out, I went back and re-read them to refresh my memory. Again =sigh= I flew thru them. But should have seen that ending coming.....Ka is a wheel. I really recommend this series. "The Dark Tower" series is classic.

EWMAN
cobalt   10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
XamberB Wrote:Finally I meet people like me!!! You and Cobalt really understand how disappointing it is to get a thin book. Have you read George R.R. Martin's Crown of Swords books. They are nice and thick and very intricate.Cool

I love King's The Stand, It, The Talisman, Black House, and Insomnia. I keep trying to read his Dark Tower series, but I just can't get past the first couple of pages.

If you like The Stand, try McCammon's Swan Song. I finally found a hardback copy. Took me forever and I ended up with one the was in perfect condition except it reeked of smoke.
Have you ever read FPW's "Implant"? This is the current book that I'm reading. Thick enough to give me some time with it. And this book should be nick-named....the vocabulary builder! Big Grin Try it, I think you'll like it.

EWMAN
jimbow8   10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:I read these books with such fervor. Couldn't wait for the next installment. Almost as bad as waiting for a RMJ book! Big Grin When I saw that the last few books were coming out, I went back and re-read them to refresh my memory. Again =sigh= I flew thru them. But should have seen that ending coming.....Ka is a wheel. I really recommend this series. "The Dark Tower" series is classic.
Agree. Sometimes it meanders a little too much, but ....

webby   10-09-2006, 11:05 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:I read these books with such fervor. Couldn't wait for the next installment. Almost as bad as waiting for a RMJ book! Big Grin When I saw that the last few books were coming out, I went back and re-read them to refresh my memory. Again =sigh= I flew thru them. But should have seen that ending coming.....Ka is a wheel. I really recommend this series. "The Dark Tower" series is classic.

I was the same. But I have to say I was kind of disappointed with the last book. I think there's a spoiler thread here about it somewhere - I'll maybe go find that and post my thoughts.

Hazel - if you can't get started with The Gunslinger and you really are interested in this series, jump ahead to the second book, The Drawing of the Three. The style is more familiar SK and it may get you hooked. You can always go back to book 1 later. Wink

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
-------------------------------------
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medusa   10-09-2006, 11:05 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:Have you ever read FPW's "Implant"? This is the current book that I'm reading. Thick enough to give me some time with it. And this book should be nick-named....the vocabulary builder! Big Grin Try it, I think you'll like it.

I loved Implant! I'm a huge Robin Cook fan so I love the medical "scares". Makes me nervous going in the hospital though!
Medusa   10-09-2006, 11:09 PM
XamberB Wrote:Finally I meet people like me!!! You and Cobalt really understand how disappointing it is to get a thin book. Have you read George R.R. Martin's Crown of Swords books. They are nice and thick and very intricate.Cool

I've heard of Swan Song but never read it. Maybe I'll look that one up. And I couldn't get into the Dark Tower either. I loved Insomnia although a lot of people I know didn't. I've never even heard of George R.R. Martin. I really love the Pre-Dune and Early Dune series as well as the Saga of the Seven Suns!
jimbow8   10-09-2006, 11:17 PM
Medusa Wrote:I've heard of Swan Song but never read it. Maybe I'll look that one up. And I couldn't get into the Dark Tower either. I loved Insomnia although a lot of people I know didn't. I've never even heard of George R.R. Martin. I really love the Pre-Dune and Early Dune series as well as the Saga of the Seven Suns!
Some people compare Swan Song to The Stand (I've even heard it called better). Sacrilege, imo. Big Grin I didn't care for Insomnia but hardly remember it at all and want to reread for the DT references.

Pages (7):    1 3 4 5 6 7