Pages (4): 1 2 3 4   
tehuti   09-12-2006, 03:51 AM
I just finished reading the part in Legacies where Jack was pulling the real estate scam on Ramirez to get Jorge's money back. When Sung paid Jack to steal the deal out from under Ramirez he gave Jack fifteen one thousand dollar bills.

Last time I checked, and I verified it just a few minutes ago, the largest bill in circulation is the $100 bill. So Jack would have been the one who was ripped off.

:confused: Wink

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the forum. I looked but didn't find it anywhere.
Ken Valentine   09-12-2006, 04:30 AM
tehuti Wrote:I just finished reading the part in Legacies where Jack was pulling the real estate scam on Ramirez to get Jorge's money back. When Sung paid Jack to steal the deal out from under Ramirez he gave Jack fifteen one thousand dollar bills.

Last time I checked, and I verified it just a few minutes ago, the largest bill in circulation is the $100 bill. So Jack would have been the one who was ripped off.

:confused: Wink

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier in the forum. I looked but didn't find it anywhere.

Nope, it hasn't been mentioned before, and you're right:

According to Wickipedia: "Notes above the $100 denomination ceased being printed in 1946 and were officially withdrawn from circulation in 1969. These notes were used primarily either in inter-bank transactions or by organized crime; it was the latter usage that prompted President Richard Nixon to issue an executive order in 1969 halting their use."

That doesn't mean that there still couldn't be some of them floating around, but it seems unlikely.

There are other minor errors, but as I can't imagine how some of the stories could be told any other way, I don't mention them.

Ken V.
fpw   09-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Ken Valentine Wrote:Nope, it hasn't been mentioned before, and you're right:

According to Wickipedia: "Notes above the $100 denomination ceased being printed in 1946 and were officially withdrawn from circulation in 1969.

[SIZE="3"]I had no idea. WHen I was growing up I heard talk of thousand-dollar bills (even ten-thousand-dollar bills). Never knew they'd been withdrawn.[/SIZE]

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Ken Valentine   09-13-2006, 12:55 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]I had no idea. WHen I was growing up I heard talk of thousand-dollar bills (even ten-thousand-dollar bills).[/SIZE]

So had I.

Quote:[SIZE="3"]Never knew they'd been withdrawn.[/SIZE]

I had heard they were no longer in use, but didn't know they were withdrawn until I looked it up on Wickipedia . . . yesterday.

Ken V.
acfrogg   09-13-2006, 03:26 AM
I've never had enough money to warrant knowing:p I thought they were still around
Towka   09-13-2006, 10:37 AM
Well, I thought if there were 1000 D-Mark bills and there are 500€-bills, there would be something similar ... cause these bills would correspond to fictional 500$-bills. Hm, that really gets you and your counterpart counting if you decide to pay something in cash ...
Blake   09-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Hmmm... 1969? That sounds awfully close to when Reborn takes place. I wouldn't be surprised to find out all those $1000 bills ended up in Monroe to be used as a tool of the Otherness. I'm just sayin'. Wink

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
cobalt   09-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Blake Wrote:Hmmm... 1969? That sounds awfully close to when Reborn takes place. I wouldn't be surprised to find out all those $1000 bills ended up in Monroe to be used as a tool of the Otherness. I'm just sayin'. Wink

Blake
Blake's right, it must be that Otherness influence and a "Goomba" or two.. Coming from an Italian backround, I can say this. Big Grin

EWMAN
Paige   09-13-2006, 02:37 PM
There was the same thing in Criss Cross when Jack got paid in thousand dollar bills. At the time, I just chalked it up to a metaphore or something.

PS
Since then, I've been work in a bank, and you'd be suprised how many people still ask for their money in throusand dollar bills.

"Life — and I don't suppose I'm the first to make this comparison — is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal."
Death Talks About Life Neil Gaiman
cobalt   09-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Or how many older folks that might have a few stashed away for that rainy day!

EWMAN
Pages (4): 1 2 3 4