Pages (4):    1 2 3 4   
cobalt   08-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Jamo Wrote:Yes, you're right, it is!

But, it's not the way of art I prefer...it must take getting used too....
But a Rakosh NEEDS to be scarry and evil looking. That drawing fits my idea of what one might look like. :eek:

EWMAN
Sigokat   08-15-2006, 09:24 AM
damn, I can't see the link...blocked by Webnese. Price I pay for using a government laptop on a government network. Oh well...I bet they are cool.

cobalt,
I have an idea in my mind of what the Rakosh look like (they're the monsters from The Tomb that sliced Jack up, right? Its been so long since I read it)

If I had any artistic talent in my blood whatsoever I would try and draw it, but I can barely draw stick figures!!

Major K

"He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a Prince." George Graham Vest

"We are alone, absolutely alone on this chance planet: and, amid all the forms of life that surround us, not one, excepting the dog, has made an alliance with us." - Maurice Maeterlinck
Kenji   08-15-2006, 10:09 AM
cobalt79 Wrote:But a Rakosh NEEDS to be scarry and evil looking. That drawing fits my idea of what one might look like. :eek:

Like this? Big Grin
Jamo   08-15-2006, 12:36 PM
cobalt79 Wrote:But a Rakosh NEEDS to be scarry and evil looking. That drawing fits my idea of what one might look like. :eek:

Then it might be a good cover. As I said. The book is not published in germany yet, i ordered it, and it will come in this month....

"Dem ago call a war a holy war...but if a war is holy....what unholy stands for?
(Gentleman)

Visit my private Portfolio on www.manufolio.de
Towka   08-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Jamo Wrote:Yes, taht's his name in Germany!
Actually very nice, till i read the orig. name "Repairman" Jack. Much nicer!

Handyman Jack ist liek Mobiletelephoneman jack Big Grin

When the book was first published (somewhen in the 80ies), mobile/cell phones were not commonly in use in germany and were called "Mobiltelephone", I think the translator refers to a certain amount of "handieness" (as in soing sth. handy). This way he evades the trouble the "repairman/handwerker" and "fix-it/??" situation could cause. Very clever!

Or maybe the translator followed the bad habit many translators in germany have: When it comes to short, meaningful phrases, they tend to change the englsih phrase into another english phrase of which they think it's more understandable for the majority (here we get around to the AE "mobile", BE "cell" and GE (or denglish) "handy").
cobalt   08-16-2006, 11:14 PM
sigokat Wrote:damn, I can't see the link...blocked by Webnese. Price I pay for using a government laptop on a government network. Oh well...I bet they are cool.

cobalt,
I have an idea in my mind of what the Rakosh look like (they're the monsters from The Tomb that sliced Jack up, right? Its been so long since I read it)

If I had any artistic talent in my blood whatsoever I would try and draw it, but I can barely draw stick figures!!
You could PM me an address and I could print off a few of the pictures from the site..............and mail them to ya! Snail mail, but it's the best I could do!

EWMAN
Jamo   08-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Towka Wrote:When the book was first published (somewhen in the 80ies), mobile/cell phones were not commonly in use in germany and were called "Mobiltelephone", I think the translator refers to a certain amount of "handieness" (as in soing sth. handy). This way he evades the trouble the "repairman/handwerker" and "fix-it/??" situation could cause. Very clever!

Or maybe the translator followed the bad habit many translators in germany have: When it comes to short, meaningful phrases, they tend to change the englsih phrase into another english phrase of which they think it's more understandable for the majority (here we get around to the AE "mobile", BE "cell" and GE (or denglish) "handy").

Yes, I wrote mobiletelephone, because, in America the word "handy" is not in use, is it?
It's a german creation, so always said by our teachers.

and "fix it/???" is ??? = reparieren (to repair) I would say Wink

Furthermore, I think the german translation is good. Handyman Jack means, that you can call him if you have a problem, and he will "fix-it" Big Grin
So, it's not bad, but it's the same like movies, the english originals are ALWAYS better! That's a fact. Someone who sais something against it, can't speak english or never tried watching an original movie...
So, repairman Jack is better in my eyes, it is the idea standing behind all that stuff, it's exactly what the author wants, because it is from the author. Translations are sometimes a little bit improvised because...that's the reason.
So, now i forgot what I wanted to say. But, I said enough Big Grin

I hope I haven't done too many grammar mistakes ^^

cya

"Dem ago call a war a holy war...but if a war is holy....what unholy stands for?
(Gentleman)

Lisa   08-17-2006, 12:31 PM
No, "handy" is not in use here as a name for cellphones. Actually, I thought "Handy" was pretty darn funny the first time I heard a German person use it. But it doesn't take much to make me laugh. Big Grin

Handyman and repairman have slightly different connotations in English. A repairman is generally considered a licensed worker who most likely works for a company (or owns his own business) that specializes in repairs. A handyman is a more informal word for someone who does all sorts of practical jobs and little fix-its. Usually, a paid handyman will work for an organization such as a school, sports club, large personal estate, old people's home, apartment complex, etc, and do all the minor repairs and touch-ups and other little jobs that are needed to keep the place running.
Jamo   08-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Ah. I didn't know, that Handyman and Repairman are real english/american words. I thought, they were created.... Well, I think Handyman Jack is the created word in Germany, and not the real american word.
The best one who could tell us taht would be Mr Kubaik Big Grin ( I hope I remembered his name right..)

(Gentleman)

Jamo   08-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Die Gruft - The Tomb is going to be published in September...not in august as I thought... Sad

But the good news: I paid 9,90€ and now the price is 11€ Wink

(Gentleman)

Pages (4):    1 2 3 4