Pages (2):    1 2
Ken Valentine   04-28-2007, 05:11 AM
Biggles Wrote:Back in the day (1794) we spelled it "whisky". We took our whisky very seriously where I grew up.

http://www.worldfreeinternet.net/archive/arc6.htm

Spelling has changed . . . government hasn't. Wink

I like the part in THE PROBABILITY BROACH where the Whiskey rebels win and Washington goes to the wall. Big Grin

Ken V.
Blake   04-28-2007, 01:01 PM
Ken Valentine Wrote:I don't have the book handy so I'll have to check to be absolutely certain, but when Jack looks at the rifle cartridge he found, I get the impression that he sees a headstamp which says "5.56 NATO."

I was just reading that section last night. If memory serves, it doesn't specifically say how he recognizes that it's a 5.56 NATO. Perhaps it was implied and I missed it. (I know squat about ammo.)

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Ken Valentine   04-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Blake Wrote:I was just reading that section last night. If memory serves, it doesn't specifically say how he recognizes that it's a 5.56 NATO. Perhaps it was implied and I missed it. (I know squat about ammo.)

I don't remember the exact words either, but the 223 Remington and the 5.56 NATO are the same round. The impression I got was that Jack looked at the headstamp . . . but it was just an impression. And I seem to remember that his thoughts were that it wasn't the 223, but the 5.56 NATO instead. The only difference between the commercial round and the military round is a crimp around the primer pocket, and often, a flash suppressant in the powder. Other than that, they're identical.

And that circle with the plus-sign inside designates a NATO loading which is not limited to rifle ammo. I've seen it on 9mm and 308 brass as well.

What it actually means is that the round falls within NATO specs for muzzle velocity and bullet weight/ballistic coefficient, which means that it will have the same trajectory as a NATO round.

You can load the round with different bullet weights and different powders, and get a much different trajectory. Sierra Bullet Company alone offers twenty three different bullets for that cartridge, ranging in weight from 40 to 80 grains -- full metal jacket, (hard ball) soft nose for hunting varmints, all the way up to VLD (Very Low Drag) long range target bullets.

The American military used to use a 55-grain FMJ fired from a barrel with a 1-in-12 inch twist. These days, they use a 68-grain bullet fired from a barrel with a 1-in-9 inch twist.

The long range VLD target bullets weigh 80 grains and are fired from a barrel with a 1-in-7 inch twist.

Ken V.
This post was last modified: 04-28-2007, 06:34 PM by Ken Valentine.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   04-30-2007, 12:50 AM
fpw Wrote:[SIZE="3"]The paperback page proofs are here. This is our last chance to correct errors. So, for all of you who've read it and found mistakes, please speak now or forever shuddup.

I do know that I have the change "The Scotch Whiskey Society" to "The Scotch Whisky Society." Anything else? No nit too small to be picked.[/SIZE]

Well, dash my wig, Paul, but I'm still waiting for the correction in INFERNAL. Remember--where Gia says to Jack, (paraphrasing), "I'm finally going to meet one of your family!"

She met Jack's sister in HOSTS.
BK Akitas   05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Ken- it never says he saw the stamp, its on page 240 "it looked like a .223 Remington but a closer look told him it was a 5.56 NATO round".

I seem to recall in The Tomb that RJ was in his third year of Rutgers, taking business courses, but I can't find my reading copy to dbl check. In Rakoshi, it just says third year @ Rutgers when mom died. In Harbingers, during his talk with the L-n-a-D, he says he was an English Major. They talk about when he was chosen as the heir apparent to the twins. he asks if it was when he moved to the city but she says before, and that his mom's death was likely the point. however Jack had begun fix its long before that, first for Mr Canelli and later, during college, even going into the city to do them for friends and relatives of prior fixes. (Rakoshi pg 194). His mom was killed three years later, and Jack did go back to school but focuses on philosophy courses before eventually dropping out. part of the conversation in Harbingers is that he'd probably be a Lit prof by now but in Rakoshi and his conversations with his dad it was about going into business, being his own boss. another thought- alreadyin his third year? tells me thats going into graduate courses and here's what they offer: http://www.newark.rutgers.edu/academics/...d=graduate indicates business to me again.

pages 223 through 231- confrontation with Zeklos and the gun count. Jack had already stowed the Glock under the seat of the car (page 189 ) so he shouldnt have had it on him by pg 223. says on 223 he had the KelTec 9 mm, which he palms when he sees Zeklos. He pulls the H-K from Zeklos, switches out for it, then finds the Kahr K9 in Z's ankle holster. thats three, not four guns.

page 210 the L-n-a-D...my hair isn't black Smile
This post was last modified: 05-01-2007, 12:11 PM by BK Akitas.

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
Blake   05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
BK Akitas Wrote:They talk about when he was chosen as the heir apparent to the twins. he asks if it was when he moved to the city but she says before, and that his mom's death was likely the point.

Possible SPOILERS for future RJ books follow, so....

*** SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER ***

*** SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER ***

I'd have to reread that section, but my impression from that conversation was that Jack had already been selected by the time his mother was killed. His mother was the first (?) "branch" to be trimmed. I'd guess this might be explained in Bloodline?

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
BK Akitas   05-01-2007, 04:54 PM
she did tell him he was probably chosen young, and that his mom dying was the 'turning point', though it wasn't until the Twins went bye bye down the hole that he truly had to take their place, so was Mom really a branch being trimmed at this point or just a really nasty nudge from the Ally? or the Otherness trying to give him something else to think about besides fixing things and it backfired? hmmm deep thoughts.

I need to check Harbingers- where was Diana when Rasalom shows up and makes mincemeat outta DocOc? I recall it saying he was taking a break from teaching her but not where she was when he was killed.

Black Knight American Akitas
http://www.blackknightakitas.com

KYFHO Racing Team

"Don't force me to release him"...Harbingers
Keeters kick Otherness butt!
Bluesman Mike Lindner   05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
BK Akitas Wrote:she did tell him he was probably chosen young, and that his mom dying was the 'turning point', though it wasn't until the Twins went bye bye down the hole that he truly had to take their place, so was Mom really a branch being trimmed at this point or just a really nasty nudge from the Ally? or the Otherness trying to give him something else to think about besides fixing things and it backfired? hmmm deep thoughts.

I need to check Harbingers- where was Diana when Rasalom shows up and makes mincemeat outta DocOc? I recall it saying he was taking a break from teaching her but not where she was when he was killed.

Maybe Jack's mother's murder was a random event outside the Otherness' or the Ally's interest. But Jack's response to it brought him to their attention.
Pages (2):    1 2