Pages (8):    1 4 5 6 7 8   
KRW   07-14-2006, 10:53 PM
ccosborne3 Wrote:Josey Wales was more of an antihero badass. He wasn't out there killing nuns and children, he was killing other badasses (I think, It's been awhile since I saw it) for society's benefit. Gruber was going to kill 100 people just for money, much more despicable.

But the thing is, Hans didn't succed and Josey did when it came to killing people. I know what you're saying about the intent, but good intentions pave the path to hell. Did everyone Josey kill not have a family? Did his actions not cause waves?
ccosborne3   07-14-2006, 11:39 PM
An even more confusing example would be the Unforgiven. Hard to say who the real villain was in that one. I'd have to go with Hackman's character Little Bill. He beat the crap out of English Bob, Clint and tortured Morgan Freeman to death all in the hopes of keeping the peace. he meant well but his actions justified Clint killing him and his posse which kind of make Clint the hero. Kind of.
Ken Valentine   07-14-2006, 11:47 PM
KRW Wrote:I can't expect everybody to get Sheens Genius on the silver screen. That's why they made "Toy Story"!:p

HUNH? He wasn't in TOY STORY.

Ken - obviously missing something - V.
Ken Valentine   07-14-2006, 11:56 PM
KRW Wrote:But the thing is, Hans didn't succed and Josey did when it came to killing people. I know what you're saying about the intent, but good intentions pave the path to hell. Did everyone Josey kill not have a family? Did his actions not cause waves?

To me, the real question is, was he initiating force? Or was he defending himself?

We don't know what he did when he was riding with Bloody Bill, but he got into the fight because he was nearly killed -- and his family murdered -- by Kansas Red Legs. All the rest that we saw was either trying to save his friends from being brutaly murdered, or simple self defense.

Ken V.
neotank   07-15-2006, 07:32 PM
I got a few movies I've seen a gazillion times and know by heart.

In no particular order..

Goonies.
Ghostbusters.
Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Star wars.
Karate Kid.
From Dusk Till Dawn.
Matrix.
Neverending Story.
The Terminator.
KRW   07-16-2006, 02:52 AM
ccosborne3 Wrote:An even more confusing example would be the Unforgiven. Hard to say who the real villain was in that one. I'd have to go with Hackman's character Little Bill. He beat the crap out of English Bob, Clint and tortured Morgan Freeman to death all in the hopes of keeping the peace. he meant well but his actions justified Clint killing him and his posse which kind of make Clint the hero. Kind of.

Good point! Now I've changed my mind. It was Kirk Douglas in "The Villain!

Ken
Ken Valentine   07-16-2006, 04:27 AM
KRW Wrote:Good point! Now I've changed my mind. It was Kirk Douglas in "The Villain!

[SIZE="7"]Big Grin[/SIZE]

Ken V.
Weatherford   07-16-2006, 03:49 PM
ALL the Harry Potter movies.... in order and/or in reverse order.... Wink

ABSOLUTE POWER (another Eastwood - great movie....)

I am more apt to re-read books than re-watch movies, however.... I re-read many of FPW's all the time (especially the LaNague Chronicles....) ANd I have re-read all of Dick Francis' books countless times... Smile
Maggers   07-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Weatherford Wrote:ALL the Harry Potter movies..... Wink
How could I forget the Harry Potter films? I've seen them all multiple times, though it took me many years to finally succumb to the clarion call of Potter.

While I've seen them all a few times, it's the third, "Prisoner of Azkaban," that is a remarkable film. If I stumble upon it on TV, I become transfixed. I'd have to say it's in my top 25 list of favs. Alfonso Cuaron did a remarkable job, far exceeding any other director in the series. I suspect future directors won't measure up, either.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

XamberB   07-16-2006, 04:14 PM
neotank Wrote:I got a few movies I've seen a gazillion times and know by heart.

In no particular order..

Goonies.
Ghostbusters.
Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Star wars.
Karate Kid.
From Dusk Till Dawn.
Matrix.
Neverending Story.
The Terminator.

How about Time Bandits and Real Genius?

Hazel