Pages (8):    1 2 3 4 5 8   
Scott Hajek   07-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Have you read the novel PRINCESS BRIDE, Webby? As great as the flick is, I think the book's better yet. I did supersonic backflips at the line, "I'm not left-handed either."

Princess Bride is one case where the book and movie are both so good, it's almost impossible to say which is truly better. I'm a bit partial to the movie only because I did see it before I read the book. Plus, I like the grandfather reading the book to the kid a bit more than the narrative in the book.

My copy of the book has all the narrative sections printed in red. It's a bit unusual.

Two movies that I have watched many times and don't get tired of at all (not including Raiders and Star War Ep IV) are Robocop and Die Hard.

Anyone catch all the Robocop connections in the last season of 24??

Die Hard has the best villain on this planet.

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
webby   07-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Didn't Goldman write the screenplay?

Yes indeed. And Rob Reiner directed.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-14-2006, 12:06 AM
webby Wrote:Yes indeed. And Rob Reiner directed.

Wasn't Andre the Giant as Fezzik inspired casting?
webby   07-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Wasn't Andre the Giant as Fezzik inspired casting?

Perfection! And Mandy Patinkin as Inigo....*sigh*. Honestly, I can't think of anybody in that cast that wasn't great, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut?

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
webby   07-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Scott Hajek Wrote:Die Hard has the best villain on this planet.

I'm sure Harry Potter would agree! Big Grin

It's Thirteen O'Clock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   07-14-2006, 12:17 AM
webby Wrote:Perfection! And Mandy Patinkin as Inigo....*sigh*. Honestly, I can't think of anybody in that cast that wasn't great, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut?

Mandy's a fine actor, but I admire him more as a singer. His version of a wonderful song called "Mr. Arthur's Place" is as romantic a tune as you're ever going to hear.
webby   07-14-2006, 12:26 AM
I thought of two more movies that we watch with alarming frequency:

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
"Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"
"I don't want FOP, dammit!"

and

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
"When you have to shoot, shoot…don't talk."

It's Thirteen O'Clock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ken Valentine   07-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Maggers Wrote:What movie have you watched repeatedly, for whatever reason? It could be a guilty pleasure, could be because you love it to death, or it's just so bad you can't not watch it.

For me it's Michael Mann's "Last of the Mohicans." It's my favorite movie, PS period. I cry like a fool every time. I've seen it about 13 times so far.

As much as I like Last Of The Mohicans, (the novel is the first one I'm aware of where fictional characters were placed in an actual historical event) overall, the movie I have watched the most -- and still view on occasion -- is FATHER GOOSE, starring Carey Grant, Leslie Caron, and Trevor Howard.

"MARRIED?! Goody-two-shoes and the filthy beast?!"

Ken V.
Jay #1   07-14-2006, 03:01 AM
bought the dvd for my father. (or I should say, DVD's)

Boondock Saints. I got bored with watching it after the 10th time. Now I'm feeling the urge to watch it again.

Starwars the first that ever came out. I could sit down and watch it all day.

webby Wrote:I have three:

Lonesome Dove, the mini-series with Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones. But I have to set aside a huge block of time for it, because I have to watch the entire thing. That's the one that makes me cry like a fool every time. Smile
Jay #1   07-14-2006, 03:02 AM
friend of mine did. She said Buttercup was a vapid airhead, compared to what she was like in the movie.

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Have you read the novel PRINCESS BRIDE, Webby? As great as the flick is, I think the book's better yet. I did supersonic backflips at the line, "I'm not left-handed either."
Pages (8):    1 2 3 4 5 8