Pages (30):    1 24 25 26 27 28 30   
webby   06-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:How on Earth was my talk "sexist," Webby? Not that I think the term "sexist" describes anything more than the user's agenda in any case.

Just "borderline", not overt - the assumption that the series is targeted at boys only. I've never thought that the adult RJ books were targeted to males over females. Why would the young Jack series be any different?

It's Thirteen O'Clock
-------------------------------------
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
webby Wrote:Just "borderline", not overt - the assumption that the series is targeted at boys only. I've never thought that the adult RJ books were targeted to males over females. Why would the young Jack series be any different?

Well, Webby, yez ask so I'll tell yez. The "adult" Jack books appeal to all who enjoy fine "adult" fiction. The "Young Jack" series will be action-oriented, unless I miss my guess. And 15 year old guys like that. 15 year old girls relate more to emotion-based stories. That's just the way it is. Do you disagree?
webby   06-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well, Webby, yez ask so I'll tell yez. The "adult" Jack books appeal to all who enjoy fine "adult" fiction. The "Young Jack" series will be action-oriented, unless I miss my guess. And 15 year old guys like that. 15 year old girls relate more to emotion-based stories. That's just the way it is. Do you disagree?

If we're making generalizations, no, unfortunately, I can't disagree.

I can say that when I was a 15 year old girl I was reading Stephen King and similar stuff all the time and never any of that typical "girly-girl" fiction. I would have loved action-oriented Jack books then - as I'm sure I will love them now. I'm also willing to bet that most of the "girls" on this board were a lot like me in this respect at the age of 15.

It's Thirteen O'Clock
"I said, Hey Senorita - that's astute, I said, why don't we get together and call ourselves an institute?" --Paul Simon
"In the final analysis, the last line of defense in support of freedom and the Constitution consists of the people themselves." -- Ron Paul

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
webby Wrote:If we're making generalizations, no, unfortunately, I can't disagree.

I can say that when I was a 15 year old girl I was reading Stephen King and similar stuff all the time and never any of that typical "girly-girl" fiction. I would have loved action-oriented Jack books then - as I'm sure I will love them now. I'm also willing to bet that most of the "girls" on this board were a lot like me in this respect at the age of 15.

Why, Webster, is it "unfortunate" that men and women think differently? I think it's charming and wonderful. Reminds me of a Brockport story. I was hanging out with my writing teacher Nancy Kress. We were talking about Asimov's short fiction, specifically THE BICENTENNIAL MAN. I confided that tears ran down my cheeks when I read the last paragraphs. She said, "Oh, Michael, you're such a hopeless romantic." And I replied, "See, Nancy, that's why things are so fucked-up. Women just don't understand how men =feel=."
webby   06-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Why, Webster, is it "unfortunate" that men and women think differently? I think it's charming and wonderful. Reminds me of a Brockport story. I was hanging out with my writing teacher Nancy Kress. We were talking about Asimov's short fiction, specifically THE BICENTENNIAL MAN. I confided that tears ran down my cheeks when I read the last paragraphs. She said, "Oh, Michael, you're such a hopeless romantic." And I replied, "See, Nancy, that's why things are so fucked-up. Women just don't understand how men =feel=."

This is waaay off topic, but it's not so much that men and women think differently is unfortunate. I agree, that's good - the whole ying/yang thing. What I meant by "unfortunate" is that so many girls leave their brains at the door when they enter adolescence. It's a culture issue and I find it sad. Maybe it's similar for boys, I don't know.

I'm gonna have to log off in a little bit - but thanks for this great conversation! (listen to me - I sound like a GIRL Wink )

It's Thirteen O'Clock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-12-2006, 11:43 PM
webby Wrote:This is waaay off topic, but it's not so much that men and women think differently is unfortunate. I agree, that's good - the whole ying/yang thing. What I meant by "unfortunate" is that so many girls leave their brains at the door when they enter adolescence. It's a culture issue and I find it sad. Maybe it's similar for boys, I don't know.

I'm gonna have to log off in a little bit - but thanks for this great conversation! (listen to me - I sound like a GIRL Wink )

I think girls use their brains =differently= than guys do at adolescence. Vive la difference! (Jesus Christ--now I'se usin' the language of the loathesome French!) But yeah, Webby--good talk. Let's keep it up. And if you're a woman, think and talk like a woman! Ain't that the way God planned it?
webby   06-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I think girls use their brains =differently= than guys do at adolescence.

Now that I think about it further...I'm gonna have to say that a lot of adolescents are not using their brains much at all, whether male or female. I mean, just think back to all the brainless things most of us did as teens. Shudder!

I remember reading about some study a while ago that basically proved this scientifically. There's so much going on in an adolescents brain biologically that there isn't much leftover for logic. Smile

It's Thirteen O'Clock

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bluesman Mike Lindner   06-12-2006, 11:56 PM
webby Wrote:Now that I think about it further...I'm gonna have to say that a lot of adolescents are not using their brains much at all, whether male or female. I mean, just think back to all the brainless things most of us did as teens. Shudder!

I remember reading about some study a while ago that basically proved this scientifically. There's so much going on in an adolescents brain biologically that there isn't much leftover for logic. Smile

"Anything to say for yourself, young man? Your ill-considered actions disgrace not only yourself, but all of humanity!"
"Uhh, sorry, Judge. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Sorry, your Honor, Judge, sir."
Silverfish   06-13-2006, 12:27 AM
webby Wrote:I'm also willing to bet that most of the "girls" on this board were a lot like me in this respect at the age of 15.

Amen, sister.

Stephanie

Abe's raised eyebrows caused furrows in his extended forehead. "Five in twelve hours?"
"Oh, and like you've never had a cranky day?"
chewy   06-14-2006, 09:02 PM
my idea for ya jack
JACK:TINKER BOY
Pages (30):    1 24 25 26 27 28 30