Pages (2): 1 2   
thisisatest   02-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Steve D

Unlike many on the board, I have seen Brokeback Mountain. But let me be straight about this right up front: It will not win for Best Picture. That honor belongs to Munich.

I hope George Clooney gets the Best Director nod.

Heath Ledger is a shoe-in for Best Actor.

King Kong was sort of overlooked for the major categories, but should walk away with Special Effects or Sound or something.

Capote was overrated, but Hoffman's role was sweet; his co-star should get the Best Supporting Actress nod. I don't remember her name, but she was the "sexpot" in "Being John Malkavich."

Post you later.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
Wizard   02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
The nominations this year are bogus. Very few are deserved.
Munich should definitely win best picture, however.
Blake   02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
thisisatest Wrote:. . . I have seen Brokeback Mountain. But let me be straight about this . . .

Funny! Smile

Blake

Please support Friends of Washoe.
Maggers   02-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Heath Ledger is anything but a shoe in for best actor. Phillip Seymour Hoffman will get that, and deservedly so. Heath Ledger made "Brokeback Mountain," along with the scenery, but he cannot compare with Hoffman.

"Capote" was a far better movie than the much over rated and over hyped "Brokeback."

"Munich" was great, but I don't think it will win. I've already nearly forgotten the film, while "Good Night and Good Luck" has stayed with me.

Sadly, I would not be surprised if "Brokeback" did take best picture. It just does not deserve it. And I wouldn't be surprised if Ang Lee got best director. I'd like to see that go to Spielberg.

Reese Witherspoon will most likely get best actress.

My Picks:
Best Picture - Capote
Best Director - Steven Spielberg for "Munich"
Best Actor - Phillip Seymour Hoffman for "Capote"
Best Actress - Reese Witherspoon for "Walk the Line"

Who I think will win:
Best Picture - Brokeback Mountain
Best Director - Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain
Best Actor - Hoffman
Best Actress - Witherspoon

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   02-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Well, I saw two best picture nominee movies. Crash, Munich. So I can't discuss about it.......I think Brokeback Mountain will win. But Crash was good.

My picks....

Best Director - Ang Lee(If he's winner, he's first Asian director winner!)
Best Actor - Phillip Seymour Hoffman(I haven't seen this yet. But I saw trailer. He truly look like Capote)
Best Actress - Reese Witherspoon(I bet!)
Actor in a supporting role - Matt Dillon(He became good actor!)
Actress in a supporting role - Frances McDomand(Her supporting role was perfect!)
Animated Feature Film - Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit(I love this movie! This is my wish. I don't want win of "Howl's Moving Castle".)
Original Screenplay - Crash
Adapted Screenplay - Brokeback Mountain
Art Direction - King Kong
Cinematography - Memoirs of a Geisha
Costume Design - Pride and Prejudice
Makeup - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
Music (original score) - Memoirs of a Geisha(Maestro, John Williams!!!)
Music (original song) - Crash “In the Deep”
Sound Mixing - King Kong
Sound Editing - King Kong
Visual Effects - King Kong
Scott Miller   02-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Kenji Wrote:Animated Feature Film - Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit(I love this movie! This is my wish. I don't want win of "Howl's Moving Castle".)

I did enjoy HMC, but it is nowhere near as good as W&G, so I hope you're right. In fact in W&G would also get at least a best picture nomination from me.

As for the Oscars, I gave up caring about them a few years ago as it was so rare that movies I thought warranted awards even got mentioned. I did not see even one of the pictures up for the best this year.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Annice Burdeos   02-27-2006, 07:52 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D

Unlike many on the board, I have seen Brokeback Mountain. But let me be straight about this right up front: It will not win for Best Picture. That honor belongs to Munich.

I hope George Clooney gets the Best Director nod.

Heath Ledger is a shoe-in for Best Actor.

King Kong was sort of overlooked for the major categories, but should walk away with Special Effects or Sound or something.

Capote was overrated, but Hoffman's role was sweet; his co-star should get the Best Supporting Actress nod. I don't remember her name, but she was the "sexpot" in "Being John Malkavich."

Post you later.

Hoffman is the safe choice for best actor. Capote made a deal with the devil to get up close and really personal with two killers. His sexuality is never a hindrance/or obstacle. For the most part, Capote is standard issue hollywood fare.

Munich was acknowledged because of its pedigree the way Arizona's Lute Olson's team will garner an NCAA bid in this upcoming tournament.

For me, Munich felt so often like a history lesson in which every actor represented a specific dogmatic principle. And in his desire to be all things to all those involved in this event, Spielberg was ineffective at best. A friend of mine who is a film critic felt the same way. As if Spielberg had to accomodate everyone's intrepretation, beliefs, responses rather than just letting the story unfold and telling it to the best of his ability. As someone who enjoys Spielberg, I was a bit disappointed.

Crash, I have not seen but Syriana seemed culled from today's headlines and the film didn't shy away from putting the US in a bad light.

Brokeback Mountain, I saw long before it became the butt of jokes, having sequed into popular culture. NO ONE SHOULD BE KILLED FOR WHOM THEY LOVE. If we are truely a civilized society, then one's sexuality should not matter but it does in this world we live in. We say we are tolerate of those who are different but we ,for the most part, are not. Take a stand! as X-3 says - (That's why the X MEN films work so well- its not comic booky. Batman Begins was the same way. ) - that's one of the best taglines for a film I've seen in a long while.

My picks are thus

Supporting Actor- William Hurt
in a film that I despised for the continued perpetuation of inter/intrageneration theory of abuse/violence

Supporting Actress- Rachel Weisz
another politcally minded film that wasn't afraid to speak its mind

Actor - Although he has no chance, Joaquin Phoenix
from Commodus to Cash - a fine performance indeed

Actress- I don't care but I'll go with Reese

Director -Ang Lee

Film - Good Night Good Luck (a safe choice this- the flipside of Capote, one could say)
Is hollywood really ready to embrace a film of male love? Or have we forgotten Midnight Cowboy?)

Animated Film- Corpse Bride
thisisatest   02-28-2006, 01:36 AM
Steve D

Munich was acknowledged because of its pedigree the way Arizona's Lute Olson's team will garner an NCAA bid in this upcoming tournament.

Loved the way you seamlessly added Lute Olson to the post. I'm, of course, rooting for UCLA. AC is attending USC, so he'll probably end up rooting for his alma mater UCLA as well.

For me, Munich felt so often like a history lesson in which every actor represented a specific dogmatic principle.

AC told me a story about Munich. It seems that the hit team killed an innocent civilian who looked like someone from their hit list. Wonder why this was left out of the movie. Or maybe they're saving it for the dvd.

Crash, I have not seen but Syriana seemed culled from today's headlines and the film didn't shy away from putting the US in a bad light.

I watched Syriana thrice. Each time I got more from the story. I dare someone to sit through this movie just once and tell me what the movie is about. Crash, on the other hand, was great on the first viewing and syrupy on the second. Rent this one once.

Brokeback Mountain, I saw long before it became the butt of jokes

And I thought I was bad with my "straight" joke. But let's put this all behind us now.

We say we are tolerate of those who are different but we ,for the most part, are not. Take a stand! as X-3 says - (That's why the X MEN films work so well- its not comic booky. Batman Begins was the same way. ) - that's one of the best taglines for a film I've seen in a long while.

Frazier Crane as the BEAST. Great choice. This could be the best of the three X films, if the promise of the trailers hold true.

My picks are thus

Supporting Actor- William Hurt
in a film that I despised for the continued perpetuation of inter/intrageneration theory of abuse/violence

I think he needed more time on the screen to be selected for this honor.

Is hollywood really ready to embrace a film of male love? (Or have we forgotten Midnight Cowboy?)

AC mentioned this movie to me. I have to see it to make the connection. He also mentioned that the short story of Brokeback Mountain had Latinos for virtually all the main characters. Wonder why Ang Lee would change them to Anglo?

Animated Film- Corpse Bride

Have to go with Scott on this one: Wallace and Gromit kicks ass, although I did fight back a tear at the end of the Corpse Bride, but I shed tears of laughter throughout W&G.

Post you later.

"He knows more than you've ever forgotten...in your little finger." Laurel's Sister defending Stan to Oliver.
Maggers   02-28-2006, 02:01 AM
thisisatest Wrote:... the short story of Brokeback Mountain had Latinos for virtually all the main characters. Wonder why Ang Lee would change them to Anglo?...

I doubt very much the choice was Ang Lee's. I suspect the producers and the studios had a whole lot more to do with hiring 2 big name young attractive white male actors to star in film that was sure to be controversional and perhaps difficult to sell.

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Kenji   03-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Kenji Wrote:I guess....

Best Director - Ang Lee(If he's winner, he's first Asian director winner!)
Best Actor - Phillip Seymour Hoffman(I haven't seen this yet. But I saw trailer. He truly look like Capote)
Best Actress - Reese Witherspoon(I bet!)
Actor in a supporting role - Matt Dillon(He became good actor!)
Actress in a supporting role - Frances McDomand(Her supporting role was perfect!)
Animated Feature Film - Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit(I love this movie! This is my wish. I don't want win of "Howl's Moving Castle".)
Original Screenplay - Crash
Adapted Screenplay - Brokeback Mountain
Art Direction - King Kong
Cinematography - Memoirs of a Geisha
Costume Design - Pride and Prejudice
Makeup - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
Music (original score) - Memoirs of a Geisha(Maestro, John Williams!!!)
Music (original song) - Crash “In the Deep”
Sound Mixing - King Kong
Sound Editing - King Kong
Visual Effects - King Kong

And, Oscar goes to.....

[SIZE="7"]Crash[/SIZE]

Woohoo! This is a big surprise! Everybody said "Brokeback Mountain will win!". Me too. But Crash was awesome film. I think this is good for Oscar winner.

Other Oscar winners...(Red is my expectations came true) Smile

Performance by an actor in a leading role Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Capote”
Performance by an actor in a supporting role George Clooney in “Syriana”
Performance by an actress in a leading role Reese Witherspoon in “Walk the Line”
Performance by an actress in a supporting role Rachel Weisz in “The Constant Gardener”
Best animated feature film of the year “Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit”
Achievement in art direction “Memoirs of a Geisha”
Achievement in cinematography “Memoirs of a Geisha”
Achievement in costume design “Memoirs of a Geisha”
Achievement in directing “Brokeback Mountain” Ang Lee
Best documentary feature “March of the Penguins”
Achievement in film editing “Crash”
Best foreign language film of the year “Tsotsi”
Achievement in makeup “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score) “Brokeback Mountain” Gustavo
Santaolalla
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song) “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” from“Hustle & Flow”
Best motion picture of the year “Crash”
[COLOR="red"]Achievement in sound editing “King Kong”
Achievement in sound mixing “King Kong”
Achievement in visual effects “King Kong”
Adapted screenplay “Brokeback Mountain”
Original screenplay “Crash”[/COLOR]
This post was last modified: 03-06-2006, 09:03 AM by Kenji.
Pages (2): 1 2