Pages (2):    1 2
saynomore   03-06-2006, 02:51 PM
So, who picked the most winners?

I picked zip. Nada. Zilch.

And a rapper for best song. I think the Rapture may be upon us.

I agree with Kenji though: CRASH does deserve the win, but, boy, was I surprized.

AC

P.S. The fashion show on the red carpet was a bit of a letdown. Plunging necklines were down this year. Wink
Maggers   03-06-2006, 03:03 PM
My picks are in red:

Performance by an actor in a leading role Philip Seymour Hoffman in “Capote”
Performance by an actor in a supporting role George Clooney in “Syriana” [COLOR="red"]
Performance by an actress in a leading role Reese Witherspoon in “Walk the Line” [/COLOR]
Performance by an actress in a supporting role Rachel Weisz in “The Constant Gardener”
Best animated feature film of the year “Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit”
Achievement in art direction “Memoirs of a Geisha”
Achievement in cinematography “Memoirs of a Geisha”
Achievement in costume design “Memoirs of a Geisha”
Achievement in directing “Brokeback Mountain” Ang Lee
Best documentary feature “March of the Penguins”
Achievement in film editing “Crash”
Best foreign language film of the year “Tsotsi”
Achievement in makeup “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score) “Brokeback Mountain” Gustavo Santaolalla
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song) “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” from“Hustle & Flow”
Best motion picture of the year “Crash”
Achievement in sound editing “King Kong”
Achievement in sound mixing “King Kong”
Achievement in visual effects “King Kong”
Adapted screenplay “Brokeback Mountain”
Original screenplay “Crash"

10 correct
11 incorrect

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-06-2006, 03:04 PM
saynomore Wrote:So, who picked the most winners?

I agree with Kenji though: CRASH does deserve the win, but, boy, was I surprized.

AC

P.S. The fashion show on the red carpet was a bit of a letdown. Plunging necklines were down this year. Wink

I picked a few winners, but was shocked when Dolly Parton (a great, underrated songwriter) didn't go home happy. But whatsfer "Rapture," Saynomore? Howsabout NIGHTWORLD? This May 16th. Starts soon on a little blue planet near to all of us. Mark it on your calendar.:eek:
jimbow8   03-06-2006, 05:05 PM
saynomore Wrote:So, who picked the most winners?

AC

None?!!? How could you get NONE right?

I have no record of which ones I picked, so I don't know for sure. I know I guessed Reese Witherspoon, Editing for Crash, Visual effects for King Kong.

I think I picked Crash as an upset for some reason ... not sure .... ?? and I might have picked Hoffman ..... ?? I also think I picked March of the Penguins.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
jimbow8   03-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:I picked a few winners, but was shocked when Dolly Parton (a great, underrated songwriter) didn't go home happy.
I still cringe when I hear Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You." Dolly's is SO MUCH BETTER!

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
Biggles   03-06-2006, 07:56 PM
thisisatest Wrote:Steve D

Unlike many on the board, I have seen Brokeback Mountain. But let me be straight about this right up front: It will not win for Best Picture. That honor belongs to Munich.

I hope George Clooney gets the Best Director nod.

Heath Ledger is a shoe-in for Best Actor.

King Kong was sort of overlooked for the major categories, but should walk away with Special Effects or Sound or something.

Capote was overrated, but Hoffman's role was sweet; his co-star should get the Best Supporting Actress nod. I don't remember her name, but she was the "sexpot" in "Being John Malkavich."

Post you later.

Most of these movies I didn't see, but my wife and I both thought that both Jacquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were incredible in "Walk the Line". Neither of us is a C&W fan, either (I like Classic Rock and she listens to this lame-ass "soft rock" or "lite rock" crap, but I digress). Rolleyes

Anyways, I thought the stars of "Walk the Line", much like the star of "Ray", had to work harder than someone who is merely acting a role. Singing a role as well as acting it should be given its due.

http://www.northernindianacriminaldefense.com

"I don't always carry a pistol, but when I do, I prefer an East German Makarov"
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-06-2006, 10:07 PM
jimbow8 Wrote:I still cringe when I hear Whitney's version of "I Will Always Love You." Dolly's is SO MUCH BETTER!

I'm with you on that, Jim. I think the composer usually does it better. For example, "Galveston." Glen Campbell did a worthy job, no two ways about it. But Jimmy Webb (he wrote it) left Glen's version in the dust on LETTERS. Starts out with a long acoustic guitar intro by Jimmy's long time musical partner Fred Tackett. Simple strummed chords at first, like a guy in the Nam trying to =get away= for a little while with his guitar. Then Fred starts showing what he knows. And then he overdubs an electric. Things start getting musically interesting. And Jimmy comes in. Does he have the vocal range of Glen? No. He sings it a fifth lower. Does he sing with the heartbreaking pathos the song needs, the heart and soul Glen never approached? Bet the farm on it.
This post was last modified: 03-07-2006, 12:11 AM by Bluesman Mike Lindner.
Bluesman Mike Lindner   03-07-2006, 12:14 AM
Biggles Wrote:Most of these movies I didn't see, but my wife and I both thought that both Jacquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were incredible in "Walk the Line". Neither of us is a C&W fan, either (I like Classic Rock and she listens to this lame-ass "soft rock" or "lite rock" crap, but I digress). Rolleyes

Anyways, I thought the stars of "Walk the Line", much like the star of "Ray", had to work harder than someone who is merely acting a role. Singing a role as well as acting it should be given its due.

Me heart goes out to your travails, brother. But I'm curious--what's "soft rock" these days? Moodies? Eagles? Fleetwood Mac?
Anders Monsen   03-07-2006, 02:09 AM
I confess I saw very few movies last year in the theater, and I skipped the Oscars completely except for the moment just before Clooney won for best supporting actor. Even with the sound off, I could tell Jon Stewart droned on far too long. I used to get excited every year when the Oscars rolled around, and the I started seeing it as nothing but an excess of delight heaped upon dross. Far too often the best movies or actors don't even make the cut, and of those who make the cut, the winners (oh, sorry, the-oscar-goes-to recipients) seem arbitrary and politically motivated (and I don't mean of the left/right kind, though I'm sure that also comes into play). I now almost yearn for the day that overpriced movieplexes crumble into dust, as long gone are the times I could enjoy a great movie in the bubble-like environment they provided. Virtually every movie I went to last year had cell phones ringing (one person answered his phone three or four times), or annoying talkers. I'll now wait for the DVD, despite not owing a 61" plasma TV with surround sound. Sorry for the bitter comments. Perhaps I'm just out of touch...
Pages (2):    1 2