Pages (3): 1 2 3   
mike36799   01-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I really enjoyed this flic. I was expecting the cliche comedy, like the American Pie movies, cheap little funny lines. To my amazement, this movie was excellent. Here is a little synopsis for those that might be interested.

A 40 year old man works at an eletronic store. Basically, the guys at work invite him to play poker one night. They find out that he is still a virgin, and try to help him get back into the game.

i don't want to give anything away. Seems simple enough, but the story is pretty well made, and like I said it really keeps you watching.

"I have the key to One-Eyed-Willy."
Gerald Rice   01-26-2006, 05:55 PM
They could have shaved off about 20 minutes or so. I liked it, though.
Scott Hajek   01-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Gerald Rice Wrote:They could have shaved off about 20 minutes or so. I liked it, though.

And I liked the extended version better. This movie ranks as my favorite comedy of all time. It's the only R-Rated "sex" comedy that didn't try to follow a cliche formula. Wedding Crashers was funny, but it's been done before. 40-Year Old Virgin was new and funny as hell. I saw it in the theater and on DVD and both times I was laughing so hard I was crying and almost PMP. (Hey, Biggles, got it?)

Scott Hajek

[i]"A beer right now would sound good, but I'd rather drink one than listen to it."[/i]
Maggers   01-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Scott Hajek Wrote:And I liked the extended version better. This movie ranks as my favorite comedy of all time...

Wow, Scott, that's quite a review. I'll have to check this one out; I'd been avoiding it. Just didn't think it would be that funny. But with a rave like "favorite comedy of all time," how can I ignore it?

Reading is freedom.
The mind soars, no earthly cares,
no limitations.
A Maggers Haiku, 2005

Years ago my mother used to say to me... "In this world, Elwood, you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant.
You may quote me.

Elwood P. Dowd

jimbow8   01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Maggers Wrote:Wow, Scott, that's quite a review. I'll have to check this one out; I'd been avoiding it. Just didn't think it would be that funny. But with a rave like "favorite comedy of all time," how can I ignore it?
I can't give it my "favorite comedy of all time," but it was definitely my "favorite comedy of the year."

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. ... The piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft
fpw   01-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Really weird. Mary and I reached the 48-minute mark and mutually agreed to turn it off.

FPW
FAQ
"It means 'Ask the next question.' Ask the next question, and the one that follows that, and the one that follows that. It's the symbol of everything humanity has ever created." Theodore Sturgeon.
Anders Monsen   01-27-2006, 02:13 AM
I thought it should have been funnier. Too often crude language was substituted for humor, but it did have some funny moments.
stacyzinda123   01-27-2006, 12:15 PM
I didn't love 40 Year Old Virgin. It had its moments, but could have been shorter. It was okay. Even though Wedding Crashers was more predictable, I thought it was funnier.
Marc   01-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Personally, I thought it was smarter humor than any Adam Sandler movie or gross-out comedy. Although there was crude language it still got me chuckling. Was it a terrific comedy? Not at all, but it was worth the 2+ hours (watched the extended cut).
Scott Miller   01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I thought both 40 and Wedding Crashers were both a bit overrated. Both had some good laughs but neither broke any new ground as far as I could tell. Of the two, I would pick WC because it only overstayed its welcome by a few minutes as opposed to the incredibly lengthy 40(my buzz wore off long before its end).

Favorite bits: I loved the wedding montage-I've been to many a wedding where they could have livened things up. Carrell seeking advice on how tame his blood engorged beast. "You flick it constantly until you feel pain." or something to that effect.

For my money, I'd pick Greg The Bunny over either of them.

Scott

Jesus died for your sins, get your money's worth. Chad Daniels
Pages (3): 1 2 3